Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll to determine King's best book

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I still understand the Electoral College better.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just trust Aaron. He knows what he's doing.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

hannah? does aaron know what he's doing?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Was there discussion about including/excluding The Stand Complete and Uncut (1990)?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Was there discussion about including/excluding The Stand Complete and Uncut (1990)?
    Excellent question. I was also curious about how The Stand will be categorized in this poll.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i would think that both versions need to be included. just like both versions of the gunslinger need to be included. some people are purists and will only read the original versions. some people much, much prefer the richer, fuller, expanded editions.

(can you tell which type of person i am? )

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i would think that both versions need to be included. just like both versions of the gunslinger need to be included. some people are purists and will only read the original versions. some people much, much prefer the richer, fuller, expanded editions.

(can you tell which type of person i am? )
    My kind.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny, I like the original Gunslinger best, but I MUCH prefer the Uncut Stand.

John

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I haven't read either, but I'd probably prefer the original version of The Stand....

At any rate, if I participate in this, I'll consider them the same books (the versions I've read).

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I prefer the intact "The Stand."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At the beginning of this thread I was talking about just this. I wanted people to vote for either version of The Stand, but the listing just be The Stand. Same with The Gunslinger. We don't want two entries for the essentially same book, as that's not fair to the others, since it gives slightly better odds to these two books.

We can do it however you choose, but I personally view The Gunslinger and The Gunslinger Revised as two separate entities and wouldn't rate them equally in a poll such as this. The Stand I can see taking as one because the re-publication didn't involve the addition of new material or revision of old material, it was more of a correction to the original editing process. Either way, I'm looking forward to this poll.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    At the beginning of this thread I was talking about just this. I wanted people to vote for either version of The Stand, but the listing just be The Stand. Same with The Gunslinger. We don't want two entries for the essentially same book, as that's not fair to the others, since it gives slightly better odds to these two books.
    I think The Revised Gunslinger is much more similar to the original Gunslinger, than The Stand Uncut is to The Stand. I think there's over 50,000 words difference.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's supposed to about a 150,000 word difference!

John

I was thinking more along the lines of the difference in the intent of the revised editions. The Stand to include original material edited out of the original version, and The Gunslinger to include new material to establish consistency within the DT universe. However we do it, I think this will be a fun poll.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

John
    Same here.
    Me too. The uncut Stand is possibly my all time favorite. The original Gunslinger is another.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Y'know, I had no idea we'd have the same opinion

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's what they mean by that saying that "Great minds think alike"!!

John

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in that boat as well.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For the sake of organization and, as Pablo said, keeping the odds for each book on a level playing field, there will be only one entry for The Gunslinger and The Stand. What we will ask in the thread is that when you rank the books that you rank based on the version that you most enjoyed.

I would like to get this started up later today; I just need to set up the forum for it. I am actually thinking that for the duration of the competition that I may just make it a full on forum in Keystone Rose, as opposed to a sub-forum. There is just going to be so many threads that I think that will be easier, so that I can set up further sub-forums within it to categorize things. After the event we would simply condense it all into a "read only" sub-forum in The Clearing.

Be looking for the first round of threads around mid-day MST.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent idea, Aaron! I'm excited, can't wait to start This'll be good.

P.S.: We still need someone with good Photoshop skills to come up with a logo for our first annual TDT.com Constant Reader Awards, and the award itself. I have Photoshop, but I totally suck at it...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

We really appreciate the idea Pablo, I think it is going to work out great.

An image would be terrific.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I want to have an official logo as well, and have been mulling around some ideas for the graphics. We'll have something together soon, I hope.
    Heng Dai

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast