Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll to determine King's best book

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I was just wondering. I agree they probably wouldn't win, but they may not be at the bottom.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, this is what I think we are going to have to do--and I think it will work beautifully. We will set up the "rounds" of the voting in weeks. For that week each book in the bracket will have its own thread/poll. The poll options for the thread will be a ranking of 1-5, with explanations for each number as to what it represents (good/bad, etc). At the close of the week the polls will end and the results will be tallied for each. From the polling results we will be able to devise an average score for each book and can then designate which books move on to the next round. Those that do not move on will be given a ranking based on their cumulative votes. These will not be posted in full until the end of the voting for all books, since we will use their individual scores to designate their overall ranking. This would continue each week until we are through all of the first rounds. Then we would begin the second tier of voting and so on from there.

That's my idea, based on our needs and the capabilities of the site. What does everyone think?
    Heng Dai

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it. Where will it be though?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

A sub-forum in Path of the Beam.
    Heng Dai

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Brilliant!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great, Aaron! Dare we attempt a 'no point' type vote if someone's not read the book? Thinking it'd add to the stats, is all.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Good idea, A-jizzle.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A-jizzle?

Country
    Country Flag

I would do the "no point", but I think it would screw with the averages. So what I am going to propose is just that we put a line in there asking people to only vote for books that they have actually read. That way we are getting objective rankings. We then find averages for each individual book, based on the number of people who voted in its poll. That will then give us a score to use in determining whether it progresses to the next tier.
    Heng Dai

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    A sub-forum in Path of the Beam.
    Change of plans here...it would be a sub-forum in Cara Laughs.
    Heng Dai

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't thinking about it screwing up the averages, Aaron, but I agree. Guess I was hoping there was an easy way to exclude them. And Cara Laughs, it is!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This is going to be great. As mentioned, people will be requested to only vote on books they have read.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I set out the initial rounds in the first post. We can use those, but they omit the non-fiction.

Here's an updated listing we could use if we decided the non-fiction books should be part of this:

Round 1 - Early 1970s:

Carrie (1974)
    'Salem's Lot (1975)
    Rage (1977)
    The Shining (1977)

Round 2 - Late 1970s:

Night Shift (1978)
    The Stand (1978)
    The Dead Zone (1979)
    The Long Walk (1979)

Round 3a - Early 1980s:

Firestarter (1980)
    Cujo (1981)
    Roadwork (1981)
    Danse Macabre (1981)
    Different Seasons (1982)
    The Gunslinger (1982)

Round 3b - Early 1980s:

The Running Man (1982)
    Christine (1983)
    Cycle of the Werewolf (1983)
    Pet Sematary (1983)

Round 4a - Late 1980s:

The Talisman (1984)
    Thinner (1984)
    Skeleton Crew (1985)
    It (1986)

Round 4b - Late 1980s:

Misery (1987)
    The Drawing of the Three (1987)
    The Eyes of the Dragon (1987)
    The Tommyknockers (1987)
    Nightmares in the Sky (1988)
    The Dark Half (1989)

Round 5a - Early 1990s:

Four Past Midnight (1990)
    Needful Things (1991)
    The Waste Lands (1991)
    Dolores Claiborne (1992)

Round 5b - Early 1990s:

Gerald's Game (1992)
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes (1993)
    Insomnia (1994)
    Rose Madder (1995)

Round 6a - Late 1990s:

Desperation (1996)
    The Green Mile (1996)
    The Regulators (1996)
    Wizard and Glass (1997)

Round 6b - Late 1990s:

Bag of Bones (1998)
    Hearts in Atlantis (1999)
    Storm of the Century (1999)
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)

Round 7a - Early 2000s:

On Writing (2000)
    Secret Windows (2000)
    Black House (2001)
    Dreamcatcher (2001)
    Everything's Eventual (2002)

Round 7b - Early 2000s:

From a Buick 8 (2002)
    Wolves of the Calla (2003)
    Song of Susannah (2004)
    The Dark Tower (2004)
    Faithful (2004)

Round 8a - Late 2000s:

The Colorado Kid (2005)
    Cell (2006)
    Lisey's Story (2006)

Round 8b - Late 2000s:

Blaze (2007)
    Duma Key (2008)
    Just After Sunset (2008)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Depending if this enterprise is a success (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), I was thinking we could do this on an annual basis, too. Could even make up a trophy, a cup of some sort, that we would bestow upon the winner, and then have this again in a year (since most likely Under the Dome will be released by then, and, knowing King, maybe even something else). If so, we should perhaps come up with a catchy name, as well.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I like the idea of doing it every year! We could post the list up somewhere on the site - TDT.com's favorite SK book!

Country
    Country Flag

You're reading my mind, pablo.

Thanks for coming up with this! I think it is an excellent idea, and we should definitely do it on an annual basis. It will be interesting to see how the tides of interest change over the years. I am trying to come up with a good name to brand it. Of course, any suggestions that members would like to post here are more than welcome.
    Heng Dai

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Depending if this enterprise is a success (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), I was thinking we could do this on an annual basis, too. Could even make up a trophy, a cup of some sort, that we would bestow upon the winner, and then have this again in a year (since most likely Under the Dome will be released by then, and, knowing King, maybe even something else). If so, we should perhaps come up with a catchy name, as well.
    Great idea!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Love it !!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, rock on Pablo - awesome idea!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

GREAT idea to allow the non-fiction as they have also held some of King's better works as far as his writing goes. I'm thinking that we will find that Duma Key may very well be one of the final four. Either that or it will be narrowly beaten by one of the DT books.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone taking odds on this list? My Final Four pick is The Stand, IT, The Green Mile, and Duma Key. Can anyone give me odds here?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Decade-wise, I'd say those picks are close to mine, Sam.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    Anyone taking odds on this list? My Final Four pick is The Stand, IT, The Green Mile, and Duma Key. Can anyone give me odds here?
    The early line:
    The Stand 3-2
    The Green Mile 3-1
    It 4-1
    Duma Key 9-1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast