Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 805 of 891 FirstFirst ... 305 705 755 795 803 804 805 806 807 815 855 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,125 of 22252

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Awesome that you disagree. What I said is true.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Having seen your previous posts, i realise the futility of trying to argue with you, but wrong is wrong. It's clearly not true as Dan has already attested to with his response. It DOES mean something to them, that is irrefutable.
    It does not mean anything to them in regards to a guarantee. Irrefutable.

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.
    2. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them

I have agreed with the first statement and stated that NO publisher offers a guarantee that could be enforced by the buyer.
    Your second statement is 100% wrong.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.
    My first statement was there are no "rights"
    My 2nd statement is 100% right. As I stated in my first reply to you (regarding my second statement): "As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing."

Now you are changing what you said. You originally said "So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them"

To me that statement says that they don't give a shit, and don't bother asking for a number. It does mean something to them, as they do make an effort to match. Just because they can't give a guarantee doesn't mean it means nothing to them. Your original statements never mentioned the word guarantee.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Awesome that you disagree. What I said is true.

Having seen your previous posts, i realise the futility of trying to argue with you, but wrong is wrong. It's clearly not true as Dan has already attested to with his response. It DOES mean something to them, that is irrefutable.
    It does not mean anything to them in regards to a guarantee. Irrefutable.

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.
    2. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them

I have agreed with the first statement and stated that NO publisher offers a guarantee that could be enforced by the buyer.
    Your second statement is 100% wrong.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.
    My first statement was there are no "rights"
    My 2nd statement is 100% right. As I stated in my first reply to you (regarding my second statement): "As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing."

Now you are changing what you said. You originally said "So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them"

To me that statement says that they don't give a shit, and don't bother asking for a number. It does mean something to them, as they do make an effort to match. Just because they can't give a guarantee doesn't mean it means nothing to them. Your original statements never mentioned the word guarantee.
    Was referring to my reply to Stroppy.

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by andyg75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I think we need to conduct a poll to determine how much collectors want matching numbers. Because I think a lot more than 50% of collectors want them.

And maybe that word collector is the key. Maybe 50% of customers overall--including both casual and collector--want them, but 90% of collectors want them.

Anyway, I think it's hugely important for books in a series or books from the same author and publisher to have a matching number. I've seen people try to match their numbers across publishers to keep the same number with the author. I just sold the first two CJ Tudor books and the buyer asked me to let Bill know he wanted the number on her third book to match the first two. I've no doubt that the matching numbers are why my auction sold near the published price and the other auctions went unsold.

This Forum is full of people looking for specific numbers.
    Much as I hate to admit it, Not every book collector (or even King Collector) is a member of this site. We are a small % of CD's customers.
    This is the real thing here. Think of the active members here and even on the Facebook groups who actively buy even just SK special editions and compare that to the print runs on those special editions. It's a really small percentage. Honestly I was probably being generous when I said 50%, it's probably less than that, because (at least with the Doubleday Years) I don't even think 50% of people are actually even buying every book in the series.

Edit: I'd also like to add to this, that I largely think matching numbers is more of a collector thing than it is a value thing. Because monetarily your books are probably worth more sold individually than they are as a set (with some few exceptions).
    Matching numbers only appeal to me if it’s part of a set, ie the Doubleday Years set or the DT set. Other than that, I’m not really bothered about matching numbers. It’s not really about re-sale value, more that it’s just nice to have the matching set. Just my opinion
    Pretty much agree with that. The only things that I have made any effort to have matching numbers/letters on are: DT series, DD series from CD, Suntup Editions (which I just quit).

EDIT: one other case, if there is a portfolio or paperweight associated with the book.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

Generally, I also don't care about matching numbers. It's cool for sets (like Suntup or the Little Books), but I've never tracked my numbers for a good majority of my purchases.

I've recently started to archive my collection on a spreadsheet (titles, authors, publishers, and limitation numbers), and it IS kind of fun when I discover that I accidentally have matching numbers for completely unrelated titles. But that is obviously mere coincidence.

And when I have actually requested matching numbers, CD has always been as accommodating as they possibly can. They have such great customer service!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by programmer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zachip View Post
    to lighten things up, Brian any news about 'the night eternal' ? ;-)
    i know you busy with letterpress, but i hope this will finally see the light of day before mid 2020 ?
    thanks in advance.
    Hey, something I can have good news about!

The Night Eternal and a surprise project are both just about printer-ready. My personal goal would be for both of these to be rolling at the printer before the formal announcements and preorder listings go out. That way, folks don't have to wait as long as for some of the previous books.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Was wondering if this eventually was sent to the printer?

Thanks!

Leo
    Thanks for asking about these!

They've been patiently waiting on the back burner while I worked out some printer issues (I want The Night Eternal to look like it was printed by the same crew as the others, and the same deal with the "surprise" book since it also creates a "set" of sorts with another previously published book), but assuming the printer I picked for both of these stays open, I think we'll be starting The Night Eternal in mid-June... and hopefully the other book in August.

We'll have to see what is happening in the world. But I'm hopeful right now!

Brian

Just got this email. YIPPEE!!!! I got the first 2 from Camelot.

BREAKING NEWS!

We're thrilled to report that the deluxe Limited Edition and Lettered Edition of The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan is headed to the printer!

If you purchased The Fall special edition and did NOT receive an email this week from myself or Mindy at Cemetery Dance about reserving your matching number/letter for The Night Eternal, PLEASE email Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com ASAP to find out how to reserve your copy of the final book in this incredible trilogy.

More news to come! Thank you for your continuing patience and support!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we need to conduct a poll to determine how much collectors want matching numbers. Because I think a lot more than 50% of collectors want them.
    Poll has been posted.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Thanks a lot, guys!
    This shelf was comfortably filled!
    Now where am I going to put the last two books!?!?
    Gee whiz!

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Decided to purchase CD’s eBook ‘Touch the Night’ based on the premise of ‘Stranger Things meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre’.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Thanks a lot, guys!
    This shelf was comfortably filled!
    Now where am I going to put the last two books!?!?
    Gee whiz!

I have letter X of The Fall. I’m considering selling it if Lonely Road/CD would transfer the rights to whoever buys it from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

I have letter X of The Fall. I’m considering selling it if Lonely Road/CD would transfer the rights to whoever buys it from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know... I heard it from somebody else that Cemetery Dance doesn't give a shit about rights!

I'm kidding, of course! (Please don't stab me, kingfan.)

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Decided to purchase CD’s eBook ‘Touch the Night’ based on the premise of ‘Stranger Things meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre’.
    Me too! Heard good things about it.
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

And maybe that word collector is the key. Maybe 50% of customers overall--including both casual and collector--want them, but 90% of collectors want them.

Anyway, I think it's hugely important for books in a series or books from the same author and publisher to have a matching number. I've seen people try to match their numbers across publishers to keep the same number with the author. I just sold the first two CJ Tudor books and the buyer asked me to let Bill know he wanted the number on her third book to match the first two. I've no doubt that the matching numbers are why my auction sold near the published price and the other auctions went unsold.

Much as I hate to admit it, Not every book collector (or even King Collector) is a member of this site. We are a small % of CD's customers.
    This is the real thing here. Think of the active members here and even on the Facebook groups who actively buy even just SK special editions and compare that to the print runs on those special editions. It's a really small percentage. Honestly I was probably being generous when I said 50%, it's probably less than that, because (at least with the Doubleday Years) I don't even think 50% of people are actually even buying every book in the series.

Edit: I'd also like to add to this, that I largely think matching numbers is more of a collector thing than it is a value thing. Because monetarily your books are probably worth more sold individually than they are as a set (with some few exceptions).
    Thank you for this bit of sanity, here, Dan. I absolutely consider myself a Serious Collector. And I really don't care about which number I get because- it doesn't matter one bit! It's a... message-board-fueled fabrication, it seems. It has no real implication in collecting. If someone wants to over-pay for a set of books- unrelated, or otherwise- because they all have the same number- that's on them, and has zero intrinsic value to the collectible book or books. Don't get me started on "Lower" numbers!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post

Thank you for this bit of sanity, here, Dan. I absolutely consider myself a Serious Collector. And I really don't care about which number I get because- it doesn't matter one bit! It's a... message-board-fueled fabrication, it seems. It has no real implication in collecting. If someone wants to over-pay for a set of books- unrelated, or otherwise- because they all have the same number- that's on them, and has zero intrinsic value to the collectible book or books. Don't get me started on "Lower" numbers!
    "lower numbers"... uggg. Don't get me started either. I will NEVER understand that one. AND some people will charge/pay more the lower it is!!!!!! I do NOT get that at all...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A bit like license plates.
    When they said how many dollars it would cost, I was amazed at how badly they'd overvalued it - then I realized they'd overvalued the dollars as well.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Well said - I didn't even think of matching numbers being a thing until I joined this site!

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

A question for the CD folk about signature sheets. I assume (and correct me if i am wrong) that part of any contract with an author and any artists that are associated with a project is the timely submission or return of all the pieces and parts related to that project. That would include signature sheets. If this is indeed part of a contract, then why are there cases like Strange Weather where your production page states that one of the artists has had the sig sheets in their possessions for over a YEAR! I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.

Thanks!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

"lower numbers"... uggg. Don't get me started either. I will NEVER understand that one. AND some people will charge/pay more the lower it is!!!!!! I do NOT get that at all...
    I could see the attraction to #1 or A. But other then that I agree.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    A question for the CD folk about signature sheets. I assume (and correct me if i am wrong) that part of any contract with an author and any artists that are associated with a project is the timely submission or return of all the pieces and parts related to that project. That would include signature sheets. If this is indeed part of a contract, then why are there cases like Strange Weather where your production page states that one of the artists has had the sig sheets in their possessions for over a YEAR! I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I have been wondering about Flight or Fright, seems like we have been waiting on that last signature for a very long time. Given the covid lockdowns, I think even the busy writers/artists would have the time to sign now.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think this (the first half, anyway) is a new update on Night Shift from CD's production updates page:

We have some very good news: the Limited Edition and Artist Numbered Edition of Night Shift have been completed, and the slipcases and traycases are being started now that the case maker has finished books to get the sizing just right...We're not going to announce a publication date just yet because these big Stephen King projects have A LOT of moving parts, and there can be delays, etc. We just don't want to post a date until we're 100% sure of what that date should be, but we did want to let everyone know this one is much closer to publication and will be out this year. Thank you very much for your patience!
    ...but now that I look closely at it, I wonder what they mean by "Limited Edition" - all editions are limited, and since they mention the numbered edition after the "limited," "limited" must either mean the lettered or the gift edition (more likely the GE, since lettereds usually take longer and are their own beast).
    When they said how many dollars it would cost, I was amazed at how badly they'd overvalued it - then I realized they'd overvalued the dollars as well.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A question for the CD folk about signature sheets. I assume (and correct me if i am wrong) that part of any contract with an author and any artists that are associated with a project is the timely submission or return of all the pieces and parts related to that project. That would include signature sheets. If this is indeed part of a contract, then why are there cases like Strange Weather where your production page states that one of the artists has had the sig sheets in their possessions for over a YEAR!
    I certainly don't speak for CD, but I think the idea is that publishers are afraid to rock this particular boat for fear of irritating authors and spoiling the possibility of future collaboration...but you are right, of course.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes... #1. I have a couple letter A's and that doesn't do anything for me. #1 I think would.... only cause it is cool. And I wouldn't pay much more after market for one..
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.
    If the person isn't returning them, what is CD supposed to do? They can ask about them, and they do, but they can't force someone to do it. If a person isn't going to do it, reminding him/her that it's in the contract, if it is, won't change anything. They're either going to take personal responsibility and get it done, or they're not.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.
    If the person isn't returning them, what is CD supposed to do? They can ask about them, and they do, but they can't force someone to do it. If a person isn't going to do it, reminding him/her that it's in the contract, if it is, won't change anything. They're either going to take personal responsibility and get it done, or they're not.
    Apathy is a hell of a lever.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    Artists need to line up new work. If it's known that the artist is difficult and unprofessional then work dries up. Small press publishing is not a huge pond and if CD talks to PS and talks to Suntup and so on and that artist will find work is tougher to come by. Not saying that it's a thing to use lightly, but letting the world know that hundreds of people are waiting on one artist is a course of action. And of course, the idea that there's a bridge burned with that particular publisher. As well as possible legal action. None of these are preferable to a little patience, but there has to be a time when the patience runs out.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Apathy is a hell of a lever.
    What's crazy to me is that it's just SO easy! Like no thought required.

It's the kind of thing that if I was having a super lazy day and just didn't feel like working, I could put on Netflix at the end of the day, bang out some signature sheets, and get to check it off my to-do list and feel like I actually did something productive. Of course I'm not a big-time writer and the most things I ever signed at once was a stack of Thank You cards after my wedding so maybe it's different when you've done it thousands of times. But still: it requires no creative thought, no analytical thought, really no thought at all other than "stay on the line"... An enduring (and frustrating) mystery...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 805 of 891 FirstFirst ... 305 705 755 795 803 804 805 806 807 815 855 ... LastLast