Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 762 of 890 FirstFirst ... 262 662 712 752 760 761 762 763 764 772 812 862 ... LastLast
Results 19,026 to 19,050 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

I am speaking with our slipcase maker about this because this is at least the second time a slipcase has been tighter than the approval case they sent first.

If anyone has trouble with their case, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. Thank you!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I wonder if there are slight variations in the hardcover size. They would be more noticeable on a smaller sized book, too.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I wonder if there are slight variations in the hardcover size. They would be more noticeable on a smaller sized book, too.
    We have had that problem on trades where two different plants were used, but I hadn’t actually thought to ask our contact at S&S if that is the case. Even with the exact same specs, two different presses can result in slight sizing variations.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would think that making the cases just a bit large would be the best way to go. Certainly a bit wider. As long as the book doesn't simply fall out of the slipcase it would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I would think that making the cases just a bit large would be the best way to go. Certainly a bit wider. As long as the book doesn't simply fall out of the slipcase it would be best.
    Yep, that has been my plan for the last two aftermarket cases, but it doesn’t seem to have helped. My concern is asking for too much extra space AND they error on the sizing in the larger direction...

Still in discussions with our case maker about why some of these cases seem tighter than the approval copy, and I also asked our person at S&S if the run was split between printing plants.

Brian

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, without a doubt it seems that the Elevation slipcase is (w/o a broadart cover) way too tight for almost every customer. When the ill fitting slipcase (including shipping) is more than the book, then it certainly isn't a value. I myself will just live with it, but this particular slipcase can't be viewed as a success story.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Elevation case was tight, but as with The Outsider I was able to "stretch" it by inserting and removing a slightly larger book a few times (a suggestion that I admittedly thought was ridiculous the first time it was suggested), and now it fits snugly but not dangerously...

but this particular slipcase can't be viewed as a success story.
    I don’t think anyone is claiming it is...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    My Elevation case was tight, but as with The Outsider I was able to "stretch" it by inserting and removing a slightly larger book a few times (a suggestion that I admittedly thought was ridiculous the first time it was suggested), and now it fits snugly but not dangerously...
    Yep, that works surprisingly well, although obviously we would prefer if it wasn’t necessary!

Brian

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

I hope there was a case protecting that bad boy...

They threw this in:

That's funny. How is the fit for most people? Still Tight. Had to go no brodart for sure.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    These were definitely tighter than we wanted. It seems to be a re-occurring problem with our big case makers lately, and I'm positive the original approval (before they ran the whole run) wasn't as tight.
    I assume the initial design is for the book with a brodart? If so these are way off.

Nope. We don't typically size these with brodart covers in mind. It's a very very small subset of our customers that use them. They are still tighter than we would've preferred though.
    Definataly not a small sub-set. Every collector I know and the ones who responded to the SK Collecting Questions on here prefers a slipcase that can comfortably and safely fit the book with a Brodart.

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Definataly not a small sub-set. Every collector I know and the ones who responded to the SK Collecting Questions on here prefers a slipcase that can comfortably and safely fit the book with a Brodart.
    We do hear the request from a few people here, but I would bet that 95% of the 1500+ people who buy these cases from us couldn't even tell you what a Brodart is. Maybe I'll ask on the next survey we do, though!

Either way, these are tighter than expected. If the case maker can hit the sweet spot I've been trying to get them to on the sizing, I do think a Brodart cover will fit, although it might be a tight fit. And the regular book should fit nicely.

Brian

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    We do hear the request from a few people here, but I would bet that 95% of the 1500+ people who buy these cases from us couldn't even tell you what a Brodart is. Maybe I'll ask on the next survey we do, though!

Either way, these are tighter than expected. If the case maker can hit the sweet spot I've been trying to get them to on the sizing, I do think a Brodart cover will fit, although it might be a tight fit. And the regular book should fit nicely.

Brian
    That surprises me immensely. Book collectors that have not heard of a brodart cover? Crazy stuff.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

It always surprises me when you mention that statistic as well, Brian. Especially when it comes to King collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It always surprises me when you mention that statistic as well, Brian. Especially when it comes to King collectors.
    I should definitely ask when/if we do another production survey to see what the true number is, but one of the things I've learned from answering customer emails, etc, is that there are a lot of "casual" collectors when it comes to SK. They like hardcover editions, slipcases are neat, Gift Editions are pretty cool, etc. Would LOVE to own a book signed by SK someday.

People who find their way to this forum are much more serious about their collecting, I think. (Which is a good thing, if you ask me!)

Brian

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I should definitely ask when/if we do another production survey to see what the true number is, but one of the things I've learned from answering customer emails, etc, is that there are a lot of "casual" collectors when it comes to SK. They like hardcover editions, slipcases are neat, Gift Editions are pretty cool, etc. Would LOVE to own a book signed by SK someday.
    What kinds of dumb things do those people do with their money

Spoiler:
    Probably have nice things that aren't books and that their children and wives appreciate

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    What kinds of dumb things do those people do with their money

Spoiler:
    Probably have nice things that aren't books and that their children and wives appreciate
    Line of the Day! Very very funny, Lotuz.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Are you able to return your case If you don’t want it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yep, always.

Brian

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yep, always.

Brian
    Thanks man.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

My guess......those folks buying slipcases and not using Brodart covers probably don't care how tight the slipcase fits over their book in the first place.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Where does this put Night Shift publication date?
    We'll have a Night Shift update later this month.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Any new updates on Night Shift?

Thank you!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I opened my Cardinal Black S/L, and I have to say, it's a very nice edition indeed. The foil stamping on the slipcase, the matching leather on slipcase and boards, and the design of the signature page and frontispiece are all top quality. And a special thanks for matching the number for previous volumes.

I'll take a closer look and take some photos tomorrow.

Well done, Brian and the CD team.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

People who find their way to this forum are much more serious about their collecting, I think. (Which is a good thing, if you ask me!)

Brian
    I'd agree with Brian that most, if not all, this stuff only matters within our niche. A bad example would probably be that we all drive cars; very few collect them seriously.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony Two-Cent has a spectacular aura about Tony Two-Cent has a spectacular aura about Tony Two-Cent has a spectacular aura about Tony Two-Cent's Avatar

For what it's worth, my slipcase for Elevation arrived on July 11 and it isn't too tight at all. The book easily slides in and out and I didn't have to stretch the case. This is without a Brodart cover.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I just made a gif of how the case I was testing last night fits. It was a bit tighter last night than today (I can't remember if I messed with it) but this is how it fits for me after sitting overnight with a book in it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/U8e4He...Rfb/source.mp4

Still too tight, as when turned over the book should slide out under it's own weight, but it almost does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 762 of 890 FirstFirst ... 262 662 712 752 760 761 762 763 764 772 812 862 ... LastLast