+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 723 FirstFirst ... 196 596 646 686 694 695 696 697 698 706 ... LastLast
Results 17,376 to 17,400 of 18059

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

  1. #17376
    Manni Folken Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    6,944
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Lettered sold out. I opened the email 1 minute after receiving it.

    ORdered the slipcase. Brian, you've got an email!
    It sold out via the CDCC announcement.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

  2. #17377
    Manni Folken Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    6,944
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Congratulations to all involved! Already ordered the AE and can't wait to see/hold/read
    Two things: I am going on a trip in Sept to the Stanley Hotel that will involve flying. Coincidence? I think not. To read while on/before my trip? Definitely not
    Trying to figure out which restaurant you guys were at as there are only a few by the airport
    Nicky's? Capt. Nicks? Ground Round? Inquiring minds want to know
    But seriously, this is a really cool and exciting project and I'm happy for you!
    And I'm the only one over here shouting, "A new Hill story!"
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

  3. #17378
    President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,430
    My Mood
    Asleep

    Default

    Just went in to order another copy of the gift edition and saw that my account still had money in it. I DONT THINK MY LETTERED ORDER WENT through.

    Devastated.

  4. #17379
    Demon of the Prim Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh is a splendid one to behold Beverly Marsh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Derry, Maine
    Posts
    1,198
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Congratulations to all involved! Already ordered the AE and can't wait to see/hold/read
    Two things: I am going on a trip in Sept to the Stanley Hotel that will involve flying. Coincidence? I think not. To read while on/before my trip? Definitely not
    Trying to figure out which restaurant you guys were at as there are only a few by the airport
    Nicky's? Capt. Nicks? Ground Round? Inquiring minds want to know
    But seriously, this is a really cool and exciting project and I'm happy for you!
    And I'm the only one over here shouting, "A new Hill story!"
    Lol Brian, no. No you're not! I believe it's the one he read at a couple of stops, one of those being the NH one I missed due to freezing rain. My friend that went said it's fantastic!

  5. #17380
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    And I'm the only one over here shouting, "A new Hill story!"
    Lol Brian, no. No you're not! I believe it's the one he read at a couple of stops, one of those being the NH one I missed due to freezing rain. My friend that went said it's fantastic!
    He read an abbreviated version of the story recently. Man, it's a disturbing but fascinating and skillfully written tale.

  6. #17381
    Manni Folken Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    6,944
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    And I'm the only one over here shouting, "A new Hill story!"
    Lol Brian, no. No you're not! I believe it's the one he read at a couple of stops, one of those being the NH one I missed due to freezing rain. My friend that went said it's fantastic!
    He read an abbreviated version of the story recently. Man, it's a disturbing but fascinating and skillfully written tale.
    I thought that the title sounded familiar, Lori.

    Congrats to you as well, Bev! Cool that it'll be receiving a UK and audio release too.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

  7. #17382
    Honky Mahfah zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig has a reputation beyond repute zelig's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,052
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Nice one guys, congrats!

  8. #17383
    Demon of the Prim amd013 is just really nice amd013 is just really nice amd013 is just really nice amd013 is just really nice amd013 is just really nice amd013's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    1,021
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Lettered sold out. I opened the email 1 minute after receiving it.

    ORdered the slipcase. Brian, you've got an email!
    Ari, do you mean you ordered the slipcased AE? Or is there a separate slipcase for the trade hardcover edition? I didn't see a slipcase option for the hardcover edition.
    Wanted:

    'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606. (could just trade limitation sheets).

  9. #17384
    Can Toi ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan has much to be proud of ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,090
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I got ripped on the lettered too, I can't win lately.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

    And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

  10. #17385
    Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4 has much to be proud of tippy4's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,512
    My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I got ripped on the lettered too, I can't win lately.
    I have been feeling the same way.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE
    Wizard & Glass Grant 1st Edition $100
    Artist Edition of Dark Tower 7 $70
    S/L Secretary of Dreams V2 $300
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $225
    Lisey's Story ARC $25
    ABC
    XYZ

    WANTED
    The Plant Part 1 Signed Limited Edition
    Battleground Lettered Edition

  11. #17386
    Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec has much to be proud of dnemec's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    2,479
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    And I'm the only one over here shouting, "A new Hill story!"
    Lol Brian, no. No you're not! I believe it's the one he read at a couple of stops, one of those being the NH one I missed due to freezing rain. My friend that went said it's fantastic!
    He read an abbreviated version of the story recently. Man, it's a disturbing but fascinating and skillfully written tale.
    I heard an abbreviated version in Savannah and Bev is right (as usual) - it's really something. You guys will love it!

  12. #17387
    Rabid Billybumbler peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Of Heaven
    Posts
    2,842
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Apologies if I've missed this factoid mentioned elsewhere, but is this the first anthology actually edited by Stephen King? (excluding Six Scary Stories)

  13. #17388
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,743
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Apologies if I've missed this factoid mentioned elsewhere, but is this the first anthology actually edited by Stephen King? (excluding Six Scary Stories)
    IIRC Six Scary Stories were "selected and introduced" by Stephen King. King was not the editor/co-editor for that book.

  14. #17389
    Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    8,969
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    How is that different from FLIGHT OR FRIGHT?
    I mean, most of the stories were already published...

    There is also THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES 2007 that he edited/co edited with Heidi Pitlor
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------

  15. #17390
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,743
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quite a bit of nuance and interpretation...but certainly (I'll probably be proved wrong) this is the first that includes an original story by Stephen King.

  16. #17391
    Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Metamora,MI
    Posts
    410
    My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Just went in to order another copy of the gift edition and saw that my account still had money in it. I DONT THINK MY LETTERED ORDER WENT through.

    Devastated.
    Mylettered order went through with confirmation and CC charged, then got email stating sorry we over sold!!!

  17. #17392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quite a bit of nuance and interpretation...
    Indeed, there is. Personally, I view anthologies and the editorial credits through a few different lenses.

    Something like SIX SCARY STORIES isn't really "edited" by anyone because those stories were the finalists for the contest. King "selected" to put them all together in a book -- that was never part of the original contest. (There have been some big reprint only anthologies that I would personally label as "selected by" instead of "edited by" since there was no real editing involved.)

    For a series like THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES, you usually have a "series editor" who works on each volume to oversee the general editorial duties, one of which is narrowing down the reading list for the "guest editor," who then picks from that list. (I don't know if that's how the process worked for SK given that he's a reading machine and he might have read EVERYTHING. So he very well might have read the same stories as Heidi Pitlor and they might have discussed them all to create the the TOC! But in many cases, the series editor will read many hundreds of stories and pass along 30 or 40 for the guest editor to pick from.)

    Finally, you have what most people think of as an "anthology." An editor (or two or even three!) get together and either read submissions or discuss reprints they think fit the theme (or both!) and then they assemble the TOC together. When there are multiple editors, one of them usually handles all of the contracts, so there is no miscommunication, and the other might assemble the manuscript into the final document, etc. How the tasks are divided up varies.

    In the case of FLIGHT OR FRIGHT, you have a very traditional anthology -- two editors got together, discussed the theme and what stories might work for it, they did a bunch of research to see what stories they might be missing or forgetting (and then tracked down and read those stories if needed), and then they picked their favorites for the anthology. Plus they arranged for two very special new stories to make the book extra special.

    (Hopefully this is coherent because I'm pretty wiped out at this point in the day!)

    Brian

  18. #17393
    Rabid Billybumbler peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral is a splendid one to behold peripheral's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Of Heaven
    Posts
    2,842
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Great discussion... Thanks...

  19. #17394
    Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    8,969
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quite a bit of nuance and interpretation...
    Indeed, there is. Personally, I view anthologies and the editorial credits through a few different lenses.

    Something like SIX SCARY STORIES isn't really "edited" by anyone because those stories were the finalists for the contest. King "selected" to put them all together in a book -- that was never part of the original contest. (There have been some big reprint only anthologies that I would personally label as "selected by" instead of "edited by" since there was no real editing involved.)

    For a series like THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES, you usually have a "series editor" who works on each volume to oversee the general editorial duties, one of which is narrowing down the reading list for the "guest editor," who then picks from that list. (I don't know if that's how the process worked for SK given that he's a reading machine and he might have read EVERYTHING. So he very well might have read the same stories as Heidi Pitlor and they might have discussed them all to create the the TOC! But in many cases, the series editor will read many hundreds of stories and pass along 30 or 40 for the guest editor to pick from.)

    Finally, you have what most people think of as an "anthology." An editor (or two or even three!) get together and either read submissions or discuss reprints they think fit the theme (or both!) and then they assemble the TOC together. When there are multiple editors, one of them usually handles all of the contracts, so there is no miscommunication, and the other might assemble the manuscript into the final document, etc. How the tasks are divided up varies.

    In the case of FLIGHT OR FRIGHT, you have a very traditional anthology -- two editors got together, discussed the theme and what stories might work for it, they did a bunch of research to see what stories they might be missing or forgetting (and then tracked down and read those stories if needed), and then they picked their favorites for the anthology. Plus they arranged for two very special new stories to make the book extra special.

    (Hopefully this is coherent because I'm pretty wiped out at this point in the day!)

    Brian
    Thanks Brian for your feedback. So, if I understand correctly, the main difference with the two previous vs FLIGHT would mostly be the fact that the first two books were a selection from an already restricted list, while I guess that Bev & Steve were not restricted. They were more opened to select whatever stories were fitting best the theme they wanted to go for, and then they would go to see the copyright issues.

    On the other hand, the other two selections they were given a list of stories to chose from.
    Mostly, that would be the main differences, am I correct?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------

  20. #17395
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    For a series like THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES, you usually have a "series editor" who works on each volume to oversee the general editorial duties, one of which is narrowing down the reading list for the "guest editor," who then picks from that list. (I don't know if that's how the process worked for SK given that he's a reading machine and he might have read EVERYTHING. So he very well might have read the same stories as Heidi Pitlor and they might have discussed them all to create the the TOC! But in many cases, the series editor will read many hundreds of stories and pass along 30 or 40 for the guest editor to pick from.)
    SK certainly read a lot for that anthology, if not everything. He asked me to point out any obscure genre anthologies or collections I was aware of that might contain eligible works and send links on to him so he could look for candidate stories.

  21. #17396
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Thanks Brian for your feedback. So, if I understand correctly, the main difference with the two previous vs FLIGHT would mostly be the fact that the first two books were a selection from an already restricted list, while I guess that Bev & Steve were not restricted. They were more opened to select whatever stories were fitting best the theme they wanted to go for, and then they would go to see the copyright issues.

    On the other hand, the other two selections they were given a list of stories to chose from.
    Mostly, that would be the main differences, am I correct?
    I don't think SK was at all restricted when working Best American Short Stories -- he might have been given a list of recommendations, but he also came up with his own list based on what he read during the project.

  22. #17397

    Default

    Generally speaking, my above post is how *I* would categorize things, but only generally speaking.

    In the case of SK, I suspect he did a lot of heavy lifting for THE BEST, just given his nature. Some "guest editors" just wait and read whatever the series editor gives them to read. But SK takes his job pretty seriously, as Bev notes above.

    So please consider my post above to be more of a "general thoughts" kind of deal than speaking on any specific projects especially since I have no personal experience with at least one of those projects.

    To 99% of people, all of this is semantics anyway. Lots of "general readers" don't even differentiate between a collection and an anthology. So I'm just talking for those who want to listen to my take on things... and there's no guarantee I'm right... ha!

    Brian

  23. #17398
    Manni Folken Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    6,944
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    That is great information and thanks for a peek behind the curtain of how some of these things come to be, Brian. As you say, semantics to most, but I always find this kinda thing interesting. General readers might not differentiate between collections and anthologies, but there is a huge difference between the two IMO.

    Brian. How far do you see the Cemetery Dance Gold Seal series going? With King not getting any younger and at the same time, seeming to not be slowing down; I wonder how much time he'll have to dedicate to the series moving forward.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

  24. #17399
    Servant of Gan St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy is a splendid one to behold St. Troy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Near Boston
    Posts
    1,636
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Honestly, I keep losing track.

  25. #17400
    Demon of the Prim wolfehr is a jewel in the rough wolfehr is a jewel in the rough wolfehr is a jewel in the rough wolfehr is a jewel in the rough wolfehr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,175
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks Brian! Very interesting stuff...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    DT I PC or Blank
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 723 FirstFirst ... 196 596 646 686 694 695 696 697 698 706 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts