Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 890 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 565 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I'm about 100 pages in. Very promising. My biggest fear is how it will end because it is supposedly part of a trilogy. If it ends on a cliffhanger, I'm not going to be pleased!
    Apparently the first book is split up into three chunks, with the first segment being by far the strongest. I think i'll have to get the trade, though am I the only one who finds all the 'hype' off-putting?, makes me less likely to buy it not more lol. Still the more hype it receives the cheaper the trade hardback will become.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel the same way. I've been disappointed in over-hyped books before and am afraid this may turn out the same way. Of course, there are some that were great, too!

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I'm about 100 pages in. Very promising. My biggest fear is how it will end because it is supposedly part of a trilogy. If it ends on a cliffhanger, I'm not going to be pleased!
    Apparently the first book is split up into three chunks, with the first segment being by far the strongest. I think i'll have to get the trade, though am I the only one who finds all the 'hype' off-putting?, makes me less likely to buy it not more lol. Still the more hype it receives the cheaper the trade hardback will become.
    You are definitley not the only one....I feel like pre-hype for a book like this is more directed at the possible future marketing arm, and has no relation to the quality of the story.

I'll flip through the trade - and since he'll be in Portsmouth, maybe get it signed - but I'm not jumping at it.

Part of the reason "Harry Potter" was actually good was because it was not pre-hyped...it was just a book with a neat idea that suddenly became huge.

The same with (if anyone's heard of it), the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series, which again was a hystierically funny, but niche book that later on got sucked up by the marketing machine.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I've been very quiet on the board for a while due to a road trip and reading my advanced copy of The Passage.

Roughly 750 page Novel.

(sorry for adding to the hype but this guy is good)

Justin Cronin introduces and develops characters in a great way. Half way through and have enjoyed immensely.

No waist of time here...back to searching (you will understand that when you read)

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up this copy of the Complete Dark Tower Concordance on eBay for $47....well, about $51 with shipping. I think the published price was $75. I've saved some real money since I stopped prepaying for books from CD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A great buy, Bob!

John

Traveler BlackVeil is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I might order a few books this weekend. 30% off sounds like a good deal.
    It got me in! I was waiting and hoping for a discount, as I had my eye on two books. Then, when I started ordering ... ended up ordering 3 books, with the one-third discount.

Now I wait for them. They say my copy of Occasional Demons is on its way. In my profligate manner, I had forgotten even ordering it, all that time ago.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    You are definitley not the only one....I feel like pre-hype for a book like this is more directed at the possible future marketing arm, and has no relation to the quality of the story.

I'll flip through the trade - and since he'll be in Portsmouth, maybe get it signed - but I'm not jumping at it.

Part of the reason "Harry Potter" was actually good was because it was not pre-hyped...it was just a book with a neat idea that suddenly became huge.

The same with (if anyone's heard of it), the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series, which again was a hystierically funny, but niche book that later on got sucked up by the marketing machine.
    I agree the hype is a bit much, but I haven't found a review yet that says the book is bad. Everyone seems to think it is fantastic. I'm not sorry I passed up on the S/L edition, but I do think I'll order a signed 1st edition from River Run. Although, one review I read comparing it to Lord of the Rings is a bit much

John F. Kennedy ibeforej is on a distinguished road ibeforej's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a quick note of praise for CD. I just received books 3-5 for the current Book Club and the selections exceeded my expectations.

- DT: Complete Concordance w/ slipcase
    - Last Exit for the Lost
    - Catching Hell- Novella #20

And these are all signed, numbered, etc.

I paid $149 for a 12 book membership (plus 2 bonus books) and I just received $145 in books (and good ones at that.) Kudos to you CD!

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool im in the book club and im awaiting the next lot of books, but im in the UK so it will prob take ages

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice to hear good news.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea surprisingly CD is starting to send out a bunch of books, I just received Halloween: New Poems yesterday. I think I can safely assume Blockade Billy made CD some good money so they now are able to actually publish some books.

One thing of note I passed on the Passage, but then was able to secure a copy through Gauntlet at $100. Sure it's a mark-up, but considering the hype, I feel pretty happy to get it at that price because it sounds like this will be very expensive on the market considering it's attracting mainstream readers and they are promoting the heck out of the trade edition.
    Geoff

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Not to be Negative Nelly, but mainstream readers don't drive the s/l prices....Dan Brown had a few limiteds of his latest book, and after a brief spike, it's not a big deal - and that's millions of readers.

I think $100's a good price, though...I'm sure there'll be a little spike.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Yea surprisingly CD is starting to send out a bunch of books, I just received Halloween: New Poems yesterday. I think I can safely assume Blockade Billy made CD some good money so they now are able to actually publish some books.

One thing of note I passed on the Passage, but then was able to secure a copy through Gauntlet at $100. Sure it's a mark-up, but considering the hype, I feel pretty happy to get it at that price because it sounds like this will be very expensive on the market considering it's attracting mainstream readers and they are promoting the heck out of the trade edition.
    Do they have this offer posted anywhere on their website?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

CD just announced they are selling limited quantities of LSOE published by Grant Books!! What's up with that???? Price $95. Buy em from me at Betts for $85!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    CD just announced they are selling limited quantities of LSOE published by Grant Books!! What's up with that???? Price $95. Buy em from me at Betts for $85!
    Yep. I wholeheartedly agree. I got mine within a week of ordering from you, and I'm STILL waiting on my Blockade Billy from CD ordered in April.

I contacted them, they said two weeks ago it had been made priority and would go out in the next batch. The reason for the delay........... wait for it............

"We're a small company"

Deary me

They cant be any smaller than Betts, David, which is basically just you

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Alan, I ordered my BB on the first day and had to go through the same ordeal. I too sent them a reminder a couple of weeks ago, was told the same things as you... but it finally arrived yesterday. So hopefully yours won't take much longer.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Alan, I ordered my BB on the first day and had to go through the same ordeal. I too sent them a reminder a couple of weeks ago, was told the same things as you... but it finally arrived yesterday. So hopefully yours won't take much longer.

Glad you got yours at last my friend. Hopefully mine will arrive soon. I really do like CD's books and they are beautifully made, but it makes you fully understand the impatience of the old hands on here when dealing with them. Especially those who have forked out heavy $$'s and still have no product.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post

No, it was just sent out in an email. He had 10 copies which all went, as he said I grabbed the last one. sorry.
    Geoff

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree please let us know when yours arrives.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post

No, it was just sent out in an email. He had 10 copies which all went, as he said I grabbed the last one. sorry.

RiverRun Bookstore in Portsmouth, NH still has copies for preorder. Their signing will be on June 21 and the books will be shipped out shortly after.

They are charging $27.00 for the book and if you want it shipped they give you the choice of Media Mail or Priority Mail.

I chose Priority Mail and my total was $33.00.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default confused!

Why not just order the ones that are $15 on Ebay or Amazon?

Are the $27 signed or something? I know that's the retail book price.

thx for any information.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post

thx for any information.

You have to order the full price copy (plus S&H) from CD because only CD can offer the high level of customer support you need. Every other large bookseller in the world that charges 40-50% off cover price is going to cause you so many headaches and delays delivering the book that you'll wish you had baught the CD copy.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post

thx for any information.
    To answer your question, they are signed. Riverrun is a great place to order from and packaging is done well.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Traveler BlackVeil is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    You have to order the full price copy (plus S&H) from CD because only CD can offer the high level of customer support you need. Every other large bookseller in the world that charges 40-50% off cover price is going to cause you so many headaches and delays delivering the book that you'll wish you had baught the CD copy.
    Most amusing!

I have been attempting to buy a CD savings certificate. But I am not sure if my order went through. They say they will publish a great many books this year ... of course, they get me in very easily. I received a copy of Occasional Demons and it is very good. I am still waiting on some others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 890 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 565 ... LastLast