Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 599 of 890 FirstFirst ... 99 499 549 589 597 598 599 600 601 609 649 699 ... LastLast
Results 14,951 to 14,975 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Vampyricon looks quite nice. Does the brown one have a felt- or suede-like surface, or is it just me?
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    The Vampyricon looks quite nice. Does the brown one have a felt- or suede-like surface, or is it just me?
    It's pretty groovy. It's what the printers call a "soft touch" type of material. Neither CD or LRB have ever used it before on a book. I've always wanted to, so here we are...

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    It's pretty groovy. It's what the printers call a "soft touch" type of material. Neither CD or LRB have ever used it before on a book. I've always wanted to, so here we are...

Brian
    I'd call the brown closer to the feel of a soft leather than a felt or suede.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nice!
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice looking book!

As far as the prints, competition is good and keeps businesses from getting lazy and complacent. The use of local businesses is commendable as well if it's working for both parties.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Can I have an update on the Salems Lot portfoilio please?

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Here's what I posted yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    Just noticed the Production Update page has The Salem's Lot Portfolios as shipping this month. Hopefully we are still on course for that or soon after.

Were we offered remarques on those? I don't recall.
    I think we're getting close on those. I know our local printer who usually handles art prints for us has been taking a long time with the prints. That said given the shipping schedule I wouldn't get my hopes up that they will actually ship in January even if they where to show up tomorrow. I don't really have the schedule locked down super far out, but we're currently shipping Haven by Tom Deady (was supposed to be out in December) and then Vampyricon is next, plus I really want to get the lettereds for Salems' Lot and Gone Girl shipped this month. The shipping queue is fluid thing though so we'll see.

If you purchased Charlie the Choo Choo from us and received a 3rd printing, please email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com ASAP. Even if you're keeping your 3rd printing and didn't contact us OR if you've already contacted Mindy, please email me. (Although please let me know whether you've already spoken with Mindy because it will make it easier for me to help you out!) Thank you!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you purchased Charlie the Choo Choo from us and received a 3rd printing, please email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com ASAP. Even if you're keeping your 3rd printing and didn't contact us OR if you've already contacted Mindy, please email me. (Although please let me know whether you've already spoken with Mindy because it will make it easier for me to help you out!) Thank you!

Brian
    Email sent. I wasn't going to send mine back but now I'm curious.....

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Email sent. Thank You Brian!

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Just noticed the Production Update page has The Salem's Lot Portfolios as shipping this month. Hopefully we are still on course for that or soon after.

I think we're getting close on those. I know our local printer who usually handles art prints for us has been taking a long time with the prints. That said given the shipping schedule I wouldn't get my hopes up that they will actually ship in January even if they where to show up tomorrow. I don't really have the schedule locked down super far out, but we're currently shipping Haven by Tom Deady (was supposed to be out in December) and then Vampyricon is next, plus I really want to get the lettereds for Salems' Lot and Gone Girl shipped this month. The shipping queue is fluid thing though so we'll see.
    Thanks. Bummer. AstroDad, We were offered an original drawing to add to the portfolio last november which my wife bought for me for chirstmas last year and I believe there was an update in July 2016 that David Palumbo had finished all the drawings that were purchased.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Thanks. Bummer. AstroDad, We were offered an original drawing to add to the portfolio last november which my wife bought for me for chirstmas last year and I believe there was an update in July 2016 that David Palumbo had finished all the drawings that were purchased.
    I'm with you here man. Been waiting for this portfolio since I ordered it over a year and 2 months ago.

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Mike! I had no recollection of it, but this morning went searching through emails and did find that I ordered a Palumbo Remarque in February 2016. Relative to the Carrie portfolio this one really had bad luck in the time taken to complete due to all of the factors Brian and Dan have mentioned.

I am just thankful that they take the time to keep us in the loop. I can't imagine the constant frustration of these third parties holding things up while you are the one having to be accountable to your customers for other people's mistakes. CD's transparency goes a long way for me in continuing to order from them along with knowing I can just post here and ask where my Dark Tower framed print is (hint, hint) every few months.

ask where my Dark Tower framed print is (hint, hint) every few months.
    On Mindy's framing table, actually!

Brian

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Email sent

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Any updates on The Shining?
    ...All three editions will be published in spring 2017.
    FYI, today I noticed that the CD "Production Status Index" page now says June 2017 instead of spring 2017 (June could still be spring, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Any updates on The Shining?
    ...All three editions will be published in spring 2017.
    FYI, today I noticed that the CD "Production Status Index" page now says June 2017 instead of spring 2017 (June could still be spring, of course).
    Yeah, I re-read that when I went to post the latest update and wanted to be more precise to give more appropriate expectations now that I'm hearing a more firm date from our vendor. Sorry again about the delay on this one, it's really annoying me that it isn't already in everyone's hands. I can't wait to discuss the added material with everyone and this book has just been kicking me in the butt with every turn. Thanks again to everyone who has been so awesomely patient.

Brian

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Most forms of "entertainment" that come across my path are either forgettable or outright irritate me - I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for something righteously tremendous (and the transparency helps).

Any chance that delays on The Shining might result in future SK Doubleday Years releases (Night Shift, The Stand, Pet Sematary) being released along a comparatively accelerated schedule (a bit closer together), given that they are already being worked on in some sense? Or probably never closer than 6 months apart? Perhaps it is driven more by CD's overall workload.

Speaking for myself, as a spouse-dependent spender , I'm just fine with longer waits between books.

Any chance that delays on The Shining might result in future SK Doubleday Years releases (Night Shift, The Stand, Pet Sematary) being released along a comparatively accelerated schedule (a bit closer together), given that they are already being worked on in some sense?
    I had originally hoped to publish two per year, but it's been amazing how various factors have prevented that.

For example, with NIGHT SHIFT, I still haven't gotten approval for my requested Bonus Features. It might be a "yes" or a "no" or a "some of these" kind of deal. If it's a "no," then things move much faster from here on out. If it's a "yes" or "some" sort of answer, then I need to get an official contract issued and signed, I need to get our typesetter typing files, I have to ask the artist to make time in his schedule for some additional work, I need to revise spec sheets for the printer, etc, etc. Dominos start falling and each one can get stuck and stop our progress. (Also, there's a reason I didn't ask for my ideal Bonus Features for every book all at the same time... It's a good way to get a "yes" to one and "but not these" to the others even though the requests are for different books... Spacing out the requests, one book at a time, helps tremendously. Just a little tip if anyone out there is pitching an author on a multi-volume set!)

But I'm trying really hard to find GOOD bonus features that make the books different and interesting. I might get told "no" but I'm trying, ha!

Brian

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Any chance that delays on The Shining might result in future SK Doubleday Years releases (Night Shift, The Stand, Pet Sematary) being released along a comparatively accelerated schedule (a bit closer together), given that they are already being worked on in some sense?
    I had originally hoped to publish two per year, but it's been amazing how various factors have prevented that.

For example, with NIGHT SHIFT, I still haven't gotten approval for my requested Bonus Features. It might be a "yes" or a "no" or a "some of these" kind of deal. If it's a "no," then things move much faster from here on out. If it's a "yes" or "some" sort of answer, then I need to get an official contract issued and signed, I need to get our typesetter typing files, I have to ask the artist to make time in his schedule for some additional work, I need to revise spec sheets for the printer, etc, etc. Dominos start falling and each one can get stuck and stop our progress. (Also, there's a reason I didn't ask for my ideal Bonus Features for every book all at the same time... It's a good way to get a "yes" to one and "but not these" to the others even though the requests are for different books... Spacing out the requests, one book at a time, helps tremendously. Just a little tip if anyone out there is pitching an author on a multi-volume set!)

But I'm trying really hard to find GOOD bonus features that make the books different and interesting. I might get told "no" but I'm trying, ha!

Brian
    Hell I'll wait as long as necessary if you get the bonus materials for this one! One of my faves.....have I mentioned that yet?
    Really though, can't wait to see what they are IF they happen.
    As for The Shining we've waited 40 years for something like this, what's a few more months? It's going to be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Hell I'll wait as long as necessary if you get the bonus materials for this one! One of my faves.....have I mentioned that yet?
    I can't wait to see Pete's edition, too. We managed to go in two totally different directions for the artwork for our editions and I think that's great.

Brian

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm trying really hard to find GOOD bonus features that make the books different and interesting. I might get told "no" but I'm trying, ha!

Brian
    The effort is appreciated.

There's a specialty "fine" book publisher out there (not a direct competitor of CD's) that quite often just slaps a leather binding on an existing edition of an existing book (they don't actually rebind existing page blocks, but they might as well - most of their releases can be compared, page by page, with the conventional editions of these books). Sure, they can produce what they like, there is an audience for this kind of thing, and they even have a few that I might like to have (I do like leather and gilding, and ribbon markers...), but I've never even been close to blown away by anything they've done - I've never contacted my fellow bibliophiles to say Have you seen what (this publisher) has done with (one of their books)? You've gotta check it out!

CD is the opposite - there's always something pulling me in, even for books I've read but am not wild about. Nice bindings, sure, but not always the same material or style (they won't bore you); new and quality artwork; bonus features that vary and go beyond a by-the-numbers "hey, the author here, it's been 25 years and isn't this a nice work of mine?" afterword (these are fine when they're all that can be had, but CD doesn't settle for fine).

With the unnamed publisher referenced above, there's a sense that they are mailing it in quite a bit of the time - with CD, there's a sense that they've looked at it from a fan's perspective and left nothing on the table - they're never going to have to say to themselves, "we should have tried harder to find those missing bits of The Shining" or "what if we added a map of Salem's Lot to Salem's Lot?" - they generated the cool ideas and executed, and if a release lacks something that readers had wanted and believed possible (like bonus short stories in Night Shift), rest assured that CD made the phone calls, shook the tree, and rattled the cage.

Now, there won't be missing chapters available for every future CD release - there are limits to everything - but the baseline of quality they've established and the fact that their editions don't look like everything else out there make them and their releases always worth a serious look. For example, while Pet Sematary isn't quite a favorite of mine (although I do like it), I am excited to see what CD does with it, I expect they will add touches that enhance what I do like about it, and I expect I'll buy it. For another example, with CD's edition of The Dark Man, I went from (before seeing it), "wow - this is a mighty thin concept; I can't imagine wanting this even if someone gave it to me" to "hmm...look at what they did here...nice layout...Chadbourne was really on his game...I can feel it coming off the page...I need this." That's some nice work there.

CD understands the difference between a sundae and a bowl of ice cream.

Just wanted to swing in to say "thank you!!" real quick before I jump on a phone call... I'm actually trying to shake one more tree here before the end of the day, if I can. Hopefully something fun falls out instead of a coconut.

Brian

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you about CD!

However I do think there is something to be said for a uniform said, the aforementioned publisher (let's call them E. Press, no that's too obvious, how about Easton P.?) look mighty classy on a shelf. The quality of the products vary a bit, I've received some that are a tad unsatisfactory, a rebound book essentially, while most of their I think are quite nice. The Sci-fi line I think is really, wait for it, stellar. I think they do a nice job differentiating each volume with unique gold stamping and new frontispieces. Their deluxe books, likewise, really stand out, always top notch artists and really beautiful slipcases. But to each their own!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just wanted to swing in to say "thank you!!" real quick before I jump on a phone call... I'm actually trying to shake one more tree here before the end of the day, if I can. Hopefully something fun falls out instead of a coconut.

Brian
    What's wrong with a coconut? Better than shaking a tree and getting a cat in the face!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 599 of 890 FirstFirst ... 99 499 549 589 597 598 599 600 601 609 649 699 ... LastLast