Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 505 of 890 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 503 504 505 506 507 515 555 605 ... LastLast
Results 12,601 to 12,625 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    I assume that's not for the Lettered version, right Brian? Some time down the road for that.
    We'll send an update about the Lettered Edition when we have more specifics, but I think we're looking at June for the traycase.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    One-of-a-kind, for sure! My greatest memory was the one and only held HorrorFind Arizona convention (2004?). I actually helped run the Cemetery Dance table that weekend along with Kelly Laymon. The convention was poorly attended which gave us some intimate time with the convention celebrity guests. The celebrity autograph room was dead, and I was scared to go up and ask for signatures, so Pic grabbed me and introduced to a bunch of folks. We went around from table to table talking to actors from Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Dawn of the Dead, etc. Came to director Stuart Gordan's table who wanted cash for his autograph. Stuart realized who Pic was and didn't charge me because he assumed Pic was my Dad. We laughed about that all weekend. Had some great times in the hotel bar as well hanging out with Edward Lee, Pic, Brian Keene as well as Doug Bradley (Hellraiser) and Ken Foree (Dawn of the Dead). I'll never forget that weekend! Pic was kind, generous and very genuine...and a hoot to have a few drinks with!
    The world is a much more empty place without him here. I hate it when such good people get dealt such an incredibly shitty hand. But he made a big difference in a lot of lives while he was with us, which is more than many people can say. He will absolutely be remembered by those who knew him.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I inquired about this in another thread a while back. He was very sick, and has since passed, when he received these sheets. I have some early signatures of his that are fine.
    Yeah, he did the best he could -- and he could of told us it just wasn't possible with his health, but he tried. A lot of perfectly healthy authors can't even be bothered to try. (Big name Hollywood director who has had signature sheets from me since 2012 but will remain nameless here, I'm looking your way!)

Brian
    That's what happens when I open my mouth without knowing what I speak about. I should have known there was more going on here. I apologize profusely to Tom's family and friends and anyone I offended with my intended to be silly post. Now I just feel like a cad.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    That's what happens when I open my mouth without knowing what I speak about. I should have known there was more going on here. I apologize profusely to Tom and anyone I offended with my intended to be silly post. Now I just feel like a cad.
    I was sure you didn't know, and considering how certain authors have been signing sheets (no names mentioned, but they've been posted here before), you had no reason to think it might something more serious!

Brian

You guys know I don't/can't go into certain business stuff because, well, it is BUSINESS, but I think I can be vague enough to share this:

We recently cancelled a licensing agreement with a New York publisher for a three book deal because the author did such a crappy job signing the signature sheets for the first book and wouldn't try again. This isn't someone who always signs "a certain way," it was someone who said, "I'm cashing my $10,000 check and not giving a crap about these 600 signatures." We double-checked against books that were signed at book signings to confirm he or she just didn't even attempt to try for our sheets.

So now the New York publisher is mad at us, the agent is mad at us, who knows what the author thinks of us... but we decided it was better to cancel the deal and pay the penalty for doing so instead of giving in on something we know is important to the collectors. (This is not something we can do when a book is already announced, so there will be times when we have to just "accept what we're given." It sucks for us as much as you.)

Anyway, I can't and won't name any names, but this mess ate up a ton of time I could have spent on better projects!

By the way, as a general rule, I take these factors into account when it comes to signatures:

1) some authors just don't have pretty handwriting and their signature is going to be mush... it is what it is!

2) sometimes there are health/medical issues that come into play.

And... sometimes an author/editor has the misfortunate of landing on the double-whammy. For example, my signature has always been MEH because my handwriting is awful, but to make things worse, I've been battling a degenerative disc in my back for almost six years now.

This disc problem keeps me from sitting/working without high levels of pain. Basically, I *start* the day at a 5 on the 1 to 10 scale and the pain increases from there depending on what I do during the day. If you've ever been stabbed in the back with a rusty railroad spike, and then had it twisted around all day long, you know what I'm feeling.

So when I sign sheets these days, I fall in the category of "what an ugly signature" and there's literally nothing I can do about it. It takes me a week to sign 1,000 sheets and that's taking my time and going slow because I *have* to space out the work, I have no choice.

That's why I'm very sympathetic to authors who have a good reason for a bad signature, and I always feel a little bit of annoyance at those who CAN sign beautifully and choose not to do so. If you could sign a fancy, beautiful signature, why wouldn't you???

Brian

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing Brian!
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys know I don't/can't go into certain business stuff because, well, it is BUSINESS, but I think I can be vague enough to share this:

We recently cancelled a licensing agreement with a New York publisher for a three book deal because the author did such a crappy job signing the signature sheets for the first book and wouldn't try again. This isn't someone who always signs "a certain way," it was someone who said, "I'm cashing my $10,000 check and not giving a crap about these 600 signatures." We double-checked against books that were signed at book signings to confirm he or she just didn't even attempt to try for our sheets.

So now the New York publisher is mad at us, the agent is mad at us, who knows what the author thinks of us... but we decided it was better to cancel the deal and pay the penalty for doing so instead of giving in on something we know is important to the collectors. (This is not something we can do when a book is already announced, so there will be times when we have to just "accept what we're given." It sucks for us as much as you.)

Anyway, I can't and won't name any names, but this mess ate up a ton of time I could have spent on better projects!

By the way, as a general rule, I take these factors into account when it comes to signatures:

1) some authors just don't have pretty handwriting and their signature is going to be mush... it is what it is!

2) sometimes there are health/medical issues that come into play.

And... sometimes an author/editor has the misfortunate of landing on the double-whammy. For example, my signature has always been MEH because my handwriting is awful, but to make things worse, I've been battling a degenerative disc in my back for almost six years now.

This disc problem keeps me from sitting/working without high levels of pain. Basically, I *start* the day at a 5 on the 1 to 10 scale and the pain increases from there depending on what I do during the day. If you've ever been stabbed in the back with a rusty railroad spike, and then had it twisted around all day long, you know what I'm feeling.

So when I sign sheets these days, I fall in the category of "what an ugly signature" and there's literally nothing I can do about it. It takes me a week to sign 1,000 sheets and that's taking my time and going slow because I *have* to space out the work, I have no choice.

That's why I'm very sympathetic to authors who have a good reason for a bad signature, and I always feel a little bit of annoyance at those who CAN sign beautifully and choose not to do so. If you could sign a fancy, beautiful signature, why wouldn't you???

Brian
    Thanks for giving a little of the behind the scenes info/frustration from a publisher's side. Fascinating.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's very interesting. Thanks Brian

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian, I've had back trouble for years. I can't say whether this will help you but I got a standing desk a couple years back and it really helped me.

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Random Tweet from December

So how did that guy that replied get the book? I thought it never came out due to waiting on the author to sign the limitation pages? Or is there more than one?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post

So how did that guy that replied get the book? I thought it never came out due to waiting on the author to sign the limitation pages? Or is there more than one?
    Lucky is referring to the book he wrote with Jack Ketchum that we published.

Brian

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian
    mea culpa...as you were

Brian
    mea culpa...as you were
    That is also the extent of my ability to use Twitter, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Brian, I've had back trouble for years. I can't say whether this will help you but I got a standing desk a couple years back and it really helped me.
    Standing has, generally speaking, made the pain worse, but oddly enough light walking helps -- until I stop and then what I just did compounds the pain.

Considering I was training for a marathon 5 years ago, logging about 50 miles per week, this has really, really sucked.

That said, I'm trying a new (to me) medicine now that shows promise in helping with nerve related pain. So fingers crossed!

Brian

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, hope it gets sorted out.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good luck Brian! I'm sending all my best thoughts and wishes. My dad got hit by a car a few years ago and has been dealing with chronic pain since, so I can somewhat empathize with what you must be going through.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Brian - Got that Shivers 3 you guys tracked down for me after I posted here - thanks so much. And very pleasantly surprised to find it signed by several of the authors.
    You guys rock!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian, You are in my prayers.

John

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    That's what happens when I open my mouth without knowing what I speak about. I should have known there was more going on here. I apologize profusely to Tom's family and friends and anyone I offended with my intended to be silly post. Now I just feel like a cad.
    Kudos to you for stepping up!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brian, is surgery an option or no? Also, I had decompression done on my neck several years back and it worked wonders. It doesn't last forever and you'd need to have it done probably at least once a year. That might be an option for ya also.

And I don't mind personally that you sign as "BJF". I've seen/have your signature .

Gunslinger Apprentice ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's beautifully done... I particularly admire
    Glenn's pen and ink work, but his painting is good too.

Artwork by Erin S. Wells -- https://erinwellsart.wordpress.com

Gunslinger Apprentice ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about ESW has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Those Maitz paintings for The Shining are just gorgeous! Wow! :-)

Artwork by Erin S. Wells -- https://erinwellsart.wordpress.com

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ESW View Post

I think that's beautifully done... I particularly admire
    Glenn's pen and ink work, but his painting is good too.
    Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the share!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Brian, is surgery an option or no? Also, I had decompression done on my neck several years back and it worked wonders. It doesn't last forever and you'd need to have it done probably at least once a year. That might be an option for ya also.
    Three surgeons have looked at my films over the years. The two I trust say that surgery would be a flip of the coin, and there's a good chance it would make things worse. The one that I don't trust wanted to jump right in and do it before trying anything else. Part of the problem with the surgery, besides the odds, is that it would set off a chain reaction up my spine to the next disc, starting the degeneration there, leading to more future surgery, etc -- whether it helped or not. Also, 9 months of rehab (no lifting at all for the first 4 months) is very tough with two kids under 2.5 years old.

But these new (to me) meds seem very promising, so I have my fingers crossed!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
    Brian - Got that Shivers 3 you guys tracked down for me after I posted here - thanks so much. And very pleasantly surprised to find it signed by several of the authors.
    You guys rock!
    You're welcome! Glad we could help with at least one of the titles you need!

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 505 of 890 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 503 504 505 506 507 515 555 605 ... LastLast