Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 891 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 515 ... LastLast

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Story time.

It is late 1959 or early 1960. Dwight Eisenhower is president, the Russian satellite Sputnik is orbiting menacingly overhead, the Kennedy/Nixon debates have yet to occur and it is still two years until John Glenn will be the first man to orbit the earth.

Against this historic backdrop an event of nearly equal historic importance (at least to me) is about to occur.... the Birdville Elementary School Spelling Bee. As the champion speller of Mrs. Patterson's fourth grade class I am about to go up against the "big kids".....fifth and sixth graders.....in front of the whole school. The winner to advance to the city wide competition with the ultimate prize being a trip to Washington, D. C. for the national competition.

I am confident. And why shouldn't I be? My Dad has gotten me the official spelling booklet published by the Fort Worth Press (it came from "all the way down town," I was told) and we have been practicing spelling for an hour after dinner every night.

The event is in the combination lunchroom/auditorium and folding chairs have been set up in rows to accommodate the crowd. A few chairs are set up on the stage for the contestants. The auditorium is full. My parents are there. My Dad has taken off work to be there. My grandparents have driven in from out-of-town and are there.

The stage lights go on and the rest of the lights are dimmed. I, as the fourth grader, am sitting in the first chair and will go first. After a few introductions are made by the principal we are ready to begin. I approach the microphone in the center of the stage.

The first word is "cemetery." I think, "Hmmm....I don't remember specifically spelling that but it seems easy." With little hesitation I spell it "C-E-M-E-T-A-R-Y" and begin my walk back to my folding chair with confidence. I was shocked when the moderator told me I had misspelled it.

I had actually missed the FIRST WORD of the spelling bee!!! Picture Charlie Brown on the pitcher's mound, head facing straight up, yelling "ARRRRRRGH!" and you know how I felt. I looked at my Dad and he just smiled and shook his head. I'm sure I set a record for the shortest experience in a spelling bee.

Of course now I am very attuned to the frequent misspelling of the word "cemetery" as occurs in the heading of this thread and I think back on that humiliating experience every time I see it. Would one of the mods please fix it? Thank you.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Poor Bob. I can really understand why it's one of your pet peaves!

Did the title of the book drive you nuts?

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I went ahead and changed it. There's nothing like losing the spelling bee on a word to teach you how to remember to spell it forever. I went ahead and changed it. There's nothing like losing the spelling bee on a word to teach you how to remember to spell it forever.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I went ahead and changed it. There's nothing like losing the spelling bee on a word to teach you how to remember to spell it forever. I went ahead and changed it. There's nothing like losing the spelling bee on a word to teach you how to remember to spell it forever.
    Ahhhh...that's much better. Thank you.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Poor Bob. I can really understand why it's one of your pet peaves!

Did the title of the book drive you nuts?
    Was that misspelling (putting in an "a" where an "e" belongs) a poke at Bob?

Thanks for sharing that story, Bob.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Bob, that was a cute story. Sorry about the bee Scarred for life over it I see.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL I didn't even notice the typo, Patrick! Maybe subliminal sympathy?

ETA: And the book I was referring to, by the way, was Pet Sematary.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I decided to change it back, if only to keep Bob "itching" about it.

JK

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

So that Bob won't be further traumatized, I've done a word search of the thread to replace "Secretary of Dreams" with "Secretery of Dreams."
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

CD have sent a newsletter in which they mention the Non Fiction book

Is anyone able to tell me how it differs with the non fiction part of A primary bibliography?
    I guess it's more detailed, but...?
    I think that Randall got a proof of it, no?

About Secretary of Dreams 2:
    In fact, Chadbourne is currently working on another DOZEN pieces of full page artwork to finish off the book![...]The book is completely designed -- with the exception of that additional artwork -- and the text is being proofread. The signature sheets have been printed and we're working to accommodate the schedules of the author and artist. We'll be working with them to get the sheets signed. Once that is completed, we'll be able to post a publication date for this title.[/B]
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also have a proof of SK: The Non-Fiction. It's much more comprehensive than the bibliography.

John

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But when the hell is The Non-Fiction book coming out?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

From the CD email update:
    Stephen King: The Non-Fiction

These HUGE books are done and the slipcases will be coming soon.
    Soon is a relative thing, though.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll hazard a guess that you'll probably see them by the end of this year. Maybe.

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    CD have sent a newsletter ...
    In fact, Chadbourne is currently working on another DOZEN pieces of full page artwork to finish off the book! [...] The book is completely designed -- with the exception of that additional artwork -- and the text is being proofread. The signature sheets have been printed and we're working to accommodate the schedules of the author and artist. We'll be working with them to get the sheets signed. Once that is completed, we'll be able to post a publication date for this title.
    The art is not yet fully complete.
    The text is not yet fully proofread.
    The signature pages have not yet started circulating.

Sigh.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    From the CD email update:
    Stephen King: The Non-Fiction

These HUGE books are done and the slipcases will be coming soon.
    Soon is a relative thing, though.
    No shit.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    In fact, Chadbourne is currently working on another DOZEN pieces of full page artwork to finish off the book! [...] The book is completely designed -- with the exception of that additional artwork -- and the text is being proofread. The signature sheets have been printed and we're working to accommodate the schedules of the author and artist. We'll be working with them to get the sheets signed. Once that is completed, we'll be able to post a publication date for this title.

Sigh.
    Yeah, that's great...they're saying how great the add'l 12 pages of art are...and I'm sure it will be cool...but fullpage artwork takes months to complete.

I would say late 2009 is a likely target. Which is what? Three years after it was announced?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Sigh.
    Yeah, that's great...they're saying how great the add'l 12 pages of art are...and I'm sure it will be cool...but fullpage artwork takes months to complete.

I would say late 2009 is a likely target. Which is what? Three years after it was announced?
    Late 2009 sounds about right.

The book was announced in August 2007, I believe. So we'd looking at about two years' wait.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

How long did we wait for SOD 1?. If I remembered correctly, it did not take as long.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

How long was the wait for Little Sisters of Eluria since it was announced? The S/L has not shipped yet.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

One year was the delay for SOD1
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I placed my order for SODII on July 20, 2007.

John

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I've never bought a single book directly from them. Having heard so many great things about them I'm glad I haven't...and won't be starting.
    Brice,

It's OK to buy from CD, especially items already in stock. Most of the complaints are from CD taking money up front for a pre-order and taking a very long time to produce, in most cases a VERY long time.

I'm good friends with the group at CD. I've personally told Mindy & Brian they need to rethink how they do business. Example: It's OK to give teaser information about new releases, but don't take money until production is 70% done.

I have $3000 invested in CD items on order. The items will arrive. The good news, CD isn't invested in Bernard Madoff

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I have to agree here. I've ordered a lot of stuff from CD over the past few years. They do take a long time between announcing a new project and completing it, But Mindy or Brian have always responded quickly when I ask.

I'm also not that upset about the precharge. Yes, I may pay for something 2 years or more in advance, but then I don;t have to worry about paying for it if circumstances change over those 2 years.

LSoE is a good example of it. A lost credit card meant the number Karen had on file from when I placed the order (a year ago?) had long been canceled.

I'm OK with it either way, but I actually prefer getting the payment part done with so I don;t have to worry about it anymore.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I see what you're saying about a precharge...but the problem is the circumstances changing would be them going out of business. So I would just assume have my money until the product is ready to ship. THEN they can have my money...

LSOE was announced as an upcoming project something like 4 years ago....but without orders being taken, or even a price, it's hard to compare it to SOD...

But, a two year wait for SOD II isn't horrible, I guess....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 891 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 515 ... LastLast