Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 889 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 ... LastLast

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I am SO glad I cancelled all my orders going back to SOD I some time ago...I had I think $600 in outstanding orders that I cancelled.

There are a few books like Dennis Etchison, Wlliam Blatty, that I want to get...but I'll get them if they're ever printed.

Grant has shown that when they actually get the process seriously underway, it takes about three months to put a book out.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i seriously think that they'll have to find another way to fund their books now.
    With ALL Those cancells...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice PlayPhish is on a distinguished road PlayPhish's Avatar

Here's a lovely little twist...Mindy sold me her Lettered SOD 1 & 2 PC copies. Since they were 'HER' copies and not Cemetery Dance's, I could not get a refund. Apparently, she doesn't have the money to refund me. Add to that $3k the SOD 2 Limited and the Concordance Lettered and you have quite a large sum of money that I'm not expecting to see anytime soon...or maybe ever again from them.

Currently out of work, so that money would have been extremely helpful not to be on my credit card. Lesson learned...the hard way!

Bob

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, It's probably too late to challenge those with your credit card company, but I'd give it a try anyway. The worst would be that you're in the same boat you are in now.

John

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

ANYONE READY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF CD"S OFFER OF THE DAY ?
    From todays Newletter "COLLECTORS TAKE NOTE:
    Cemetery Dance Lifetime Membership Auction: The Greatest Gift You Could Ever Give or Receive! Receive Everything We Publish FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!" minimum bid $2499 for every Limited in (whose lifetime)

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Cemetery Dance Lifetime Membership Auction: The Greatest Gift You Could Ever Give or Receive! Receive Everything We Publish FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!" minimum bid $2499 for every Limited in (whose lifetime)
    if they offered everything they have printed so far PLUS the future printings I would bid in a heart beat. But since this is talking about future printings I'm not gonna risk the money.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    if they offered everything they have printed so far PLUS the future printings I would bid in a heart beat. But since this is talking about future printings I'm not gonna risk the money.
    Yea, actually people who have had Lifetime Memberships, who bought in at the beginning made out huge! They've been getting all the books for free for the last 7 years.

But in this unstable economy, and the constant delays with CD, this is a huge risk! Although I do think the starting price is fair, too bad it's not going to end up at that price.
    Geoff

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HE SAID WITH A SACASTIC INTENT

I really meant this to be said as a sarcastic tone based on the confidence displayed in this thread.
    PEOPLE HERE SEEM TO BE CONCERNED IF NOT BETTING CD's LIFETIME IS NEARING AN END.....
    Allthough in reality MOST are hoping against that idea.
    Last edited by EXPLORER; 12-15-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: sp

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I really meant this to be said as a sarcastic tone based on the confidence displayed in this thread.
    PEOPLE HERE SEEM TO BE CONCERNED IF NOT BETTING CD's LIFETIME IS NEARING AN END.....
    Allthough in reality MOST are hoping against that idea.
    Yes. Sort of like the poor taste jokes about terminally ill patients, i.e. "Don't buy any all-day suckers, LP albums, etc."

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPhish View Post
    Here's a lovely little twist...Mindy sold me her Lettered SOD 1 & 2 PC copies. Since they were 'HER' copies and not Cemetery Dance's, I could not get a refund. Apparently, she doesn't have the money to refund me. Add to that $3k the SOD 2 Limited and the Concordance Lettered and you have quite a large sum of money that I'm not expecting to see anytime soon...or maybe ever again from them.

Currently out of work, so that money would have been extremely helpful not to be on my credit card. Lesson learned...the hard way!

Bob
    I'm not even sure how that's justified...if you paid her $3K, then theoretically she would have 'paid' CD that $3k for the books...she gets refunded by CD, then she refunds you.

If you paid her $3K for books she didn't actually have to pay for, then it's out and out theft if she doesn't either pay you back, or provide the product.

You know...this isn't $50 here and there...for these big orders, there are legal remedies too, not just the credit card.

Mindy's response to my last email to her. Dated October 6, 2008:

Hi Bob... sorry, I never got your first email and I was out the last week at work, just now catching up.

I'm sorry about your situation, however, if you recall, you purchased the PC Volumes of Secretary Lettered directly from ME. I can forward you the original email stating this. Unfortunately, because it was a personal purchase directly from me, I’m not able to refund you on those… I sell those books in order to supplement my income and plain and simple, I just don’t have the money to refund you. Again, I’m TRULY sorry… but you “will” get both of your lettered editions, signed by King… V.1 will be sent to you this fall and then V.2 will come out next year.

So, Fall has come and gone and still no mention of SOD1 Lettered. She also mentioned that they were getting ready to release them in an email to me dated on January 6, 2008:

Hi Bob….. we are getting close to sending out the Lettereds of V.1 for SECRETARY OF DREAMS.

I actually paid to the Cemetery Dance PayPal account. She must be in charge of that. Just seriously BAD business ethics. I will contact my credit card tomorrow John, thanks for the advice.

Bob

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I e-mailed Mindy again yesterday stating that another collector friend (no names used) asked for and received a refund within a couple of days, so what's up with my refund? No reply as of yet. If I get the run-around this time again, watch out people, my anger is slow to kindle, but when it comes out...

You know, I just had a rather perverse thought. Earlier this year, both Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers collapsed as clients and counterparties massively withdrew on a lack of confidence. As many of us are rather big collectors and are trying to pull out $$ from CD, I wonder if we might not be a catalyst for putting them out of business (not knowing what their financial situation really is).

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    I e-mailed Mindy again yesterday stating that another collector friend (no names used) asked for and received a refund within a couple of days, so what's up with my refund? No reply as of yet. If I get the run-around this time again, watch out people, my anger is slow to kindle, but when it comes out...

You know, I just had a rather perverse thought. Earlier this year, both Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers collapsed as clients and counterparties massively withdrew on a lack of confidence. As many of us are rather big collectors and are trying to pull out $$ from CD, I wonder if we might not be a catalyst for putting them out of business (not knowing what their financial situation really is).
    Food for thought.

I wouldn't worry about it though. I'd just get your funds out of there as soon as possible.

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And then there's the CD 2008 book club. As we approach the end of 2008 us book club members are still owed six (or possibly seven - I've lost count) books out of the thirteen that are due to members......

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Mindy's response to my last email to her. Dated October 6, 2008:

Hi Bob... sorry, I never got your first email and I was out the last week at work, just now catching up.

I'm sorry about your situation, however, if you recall, you purchased the PC Volumes of Secretary Lettered directly from ME. I can forward you the original email stating this. Unfortunately, because it was a personal purchase directly from me, I’m not able to refund you on those… I sell those books in order to supplement my income and plain and simple, I just don’t have the money to refund you. Again, I’m TRULY sorry… but you “will” get both of your lettered editions, signed by King… V.1 will be sent to you this fall and then V.2 will come out next year.

So, Fall has come and gone and still no mention of SOD1 Lettered. She also mentioned that they were getting ready to release them in an email to me dated on January 6, 2008:

Hi Bob….. we are getting close to sending out the Lettereds of V.1 for SECRETARY OF DREAMS.

I actually paid to the Cemetery Dance PayPal account. She must be in charge of that. Just seriously BAD business ethics. I will contact my credit card tomorrow John, thanks for the advice.

Bob
    I hate to be the devil's advocate here. But Mindy did the same for me with a Shades, which was a "book club only" book, and she sold me one of her pc's, which I was thrilled with. I was super glad she did this as she didn't have to, and I was able to get the book at cost, and it was selling for double the price on eBay.

She did the same with you, and I'm sure you were real thankful at the time, but now you want the money back, and things have changed. So where she once was an angel, now she is the devil. You did not buy the books from CD's website, as they were already sold out. Mindy did you a favor selling you one of her copies, when there were none available.

Sorry, but I just don't think you have the same complaint here as Wiz, or anyone else who bought there books through CD's website when they were available. You bought yours through a "back door" option.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I'm not even sure how that's justified...if you paid her $3K, then theoretically she would have 'paid' CD that $3k for the books...she gets refunded by CD, then she refunds you.

If you paid her $3K for books she didn't actually have to pay for, then it's out and out theft if she doesn't either pay you back, or provide the product.

You know...this isn't $50 here and there...for these big orders, there are legal remedies too, not just the credit card.
    Why would Mindy pay CD for the books? She is an employee and gets PC books of all the releases for free. She can do what she wants with them. Sell them on eBay or help out a customer. She probably paid off her car with the money or something similar and doesn't have it anymore. She was under the impression that the person wanted the books.

Now I think she should try to come up with the money for a refund, but in no way do I think CD is responsible for this at all. As the books were not purchased through the website. This was a private deal between Mindy and Phish.
    Geoff

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

Why would Mindy pay CD for the books? She is an employee and gets PC books of all the releases for free. She can do what she wants with them. Sell them on eBay or help out a customer. She probably paid off her car with the money or something similar and doesn't have it anymore. She was under the impression that the person wanted the books.

Now I think she should try to come up with the money for a refund, but in no way do I think CD is responsible for this at all. As the books were not purchased through the website. This was a private deal between Mindy and Phish.
    You're assuming (from what I can tell by the posts) that she doesn't have to pay for her copies. You don't know that. I assume that she DOES have to pay for them, though she probably gets a discount on the books she purchases.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

You're assuming (from what I can tell by the posts) that she doesn't have to pay for her copies. You don't know that. I assume that she DOES have to pay for them, though she probably gets a discount on the books she purchases.
    No, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have to pay for them. I'm of the assumption that most small presses supplement their one or two employee's salaries with PC copies for them to sell on the secondary market.

That said, I think her position in CD, knowing when things will or will not actually be published makes her somewhat responsible in this situation.

Although I also see Geoff's point that a private sale is a private sale, and as long as she delivers if/when the books are published, than all is golden.

Overall, I have no opinion in this matter as I see both sides have equal arguments.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Should CD never print those books, Bob would have grounds to sue for a refund from Mindy. Unless that happens, I think he'll have to wait until the books are published. I don't really know anyone in the small press world and couldn't begin to guess about their policies toward employees. All I know is how the small businesses I worked for were. I had to pay for anything I got, but they were retail stores so it's not any sort of comparison.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Sam,

Mindy gets her copies of the PC's for free.

Geoff,

I agree with you as well. I'm just worried that Cemetery Dance is in a precarious position financially and that these books may never get published. The fact that a year has almost passed from her email dated on January 6, 2008 where she says that they are getting ready to send out the SOD 1 Lettereds, then she tells me again on October 6, 9 months later, that I will receive it this Fall, is very sketchy. There are never any updates with regards to the Lettered editions. I feel like I'm getting the runaround.

I had originally purchased the SOD1 Lettered from the Cemetery Dance website but Mindy had contacted me shortly thereafter (And now memory does not serve me as to when the original onsale for the SOD1 was, 2005 maybe?) saying that there was a glitch in their system and that they indeed did not have any SOD1 Lettereds to sell me, so I was placed on the waiting list in the number 1 spot. Last year she emailed me saying that I could buy her Lettered SOD1 (as they were getting to send them out shortly, I wasn't too worried). I could also buy her SOD2 Lettered PC or they had an actual Letter become available. Wanting to keep both copies the same, I opted for the PC.

I did send payment to Cemetery Dance and not Mindy directly for the books. The lying about when SOD1 will be released is really what worries me; that and all the cancellations for these books from other members.

Before I do anything I will email Mindy and ask what happened to the Fall release date that she mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Before I do anything I will email Mindy and ask what happened to the Fall release date that she mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
    Now that answer I'm interested to hear!

Sam,

Mindy gets her copies of the PC's for free.

Geoff,

I agree with you as well. I'm just worried that Cemetery Dance is in a precarious position financially and that these books may never get published. The fact that a year has almost passed from her email dated on January 6, 2008 where she says that they are getting ready to send out the SOD 1 Lettereds, then she tells me again on October 6, 9 months later, that I will receive it this Fall, is very sketchy. There are never any updates with regards to the Lettered editions. I feel like I'm getting the runaround.

I had originally purchased the SOD1 Lettered from the Cemetery Dance website but Mindy had contacted me shortly thereafter (And now memory does not serve me as to when the original onsale for the SOD1 was, 2005 maybe?) saying that there was a glitch in their system and that they indeed did not have any SOD1 Lettereds to sell me, so I was placed on the waiting list in the number 1 spot. Last year she emailed me saying that I could buy her Lettered SOD1 (as they were getting to send them out shortly, I wasn't too worried). I could also buy her SOD2 Lettered PC or they had an actual Letter become available. Wanting to keep both copies the same, I opted for the PC.

I did send payment to Cemetery Dance and not Mindy directly for the books. The lying about when SOD1 will be released is really what worries me; that and all the cancellations for these books from other members.
    I had actually changed my opinion that actually it was a fair deal between you and her, and you did not have the right to expect a refund....

however...if you paid CD, then it is NOT a deal between you and Mindy...

And...she did a bait-and-switch that you "couldn't get the book but now you can get the book" and then told you an incorrect shipping date; that's totally not cool...

You should not feel like you're getting a runaround. You ARE getting a runaround.

However, that's only going by one version of events...

I agree with Wiz that there is a strong chance that these refunds cause them to go under...this is EXACTLY how Ponzi Schemes break down...there's a run on the money, and the money isn't actually there.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is for sure that all those refunds WONT help them, especially with their way to do business. If someone can tell how many emails they haHve sent this last month, and how many include a "special offer" i am sure that it will tell a lot of things.
    Those refunds will only make things worst, but it is fair for everyone to be scared.

Lets only cross fingers that everything will be fine...
    Or if the worst come up, hopefully maybe someone would be able to "lend" them some cash to help them sorting things out (and require a change in the way to do business..) I am thinking about Stephen King himself, even though i dont believe.... But hopefully everything will be fine
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Should CD never print those books, Bob would have grounds to sue for a refund from Mindy.
    I do agree with this. Mindy should try to come up with the refund. I was just saying it's not CD's fault, as it was a deal between Phish and Mindy.

And I agree with everyone else that CD's practices are very worrisome, especially in this marketplace, but they have been doing this for years and still somehow survive. This isn't anything new with them. They have been puting out books years behind schedule for a while. Now I'm not agreeing with it, in fact I hate it. But it's not like the economy is slowing them down, they've always been slow.
    Geoff

Good points...

I guess the problem is it's like any Ponzi scheme...it's fine as long as money is coming and going...but now, I'm sure they aren't getting that much money coming in, while a lot is going out.

It's just a constant stream of excuses..."prototype traycases," "second round of proofreading."

You saw that "lifetime membership" they're selling for a minimum bid of $3K...obviously, they are just trying to bring in that amount of money right now. I'm reasonably confident they aren't selling a specific individual's membership.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 889 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 ... LastLast