Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 890 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 528 ... LastLast

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

It's got entertainment value!!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Gunslinger Apprentice mikeyw is on a distinguished road

and here it is. I enjoyed writing it!. Sadly no reply.

Dear Mr King

I do hope you will forgive this correspondence as it is the first time I have ever written to anyone remotely famous, and indeed, someone that I also admire, but I do have a complaint.
    As something of a constant reader over the past 30 years or so I have become something of a collector as well as a reader, Nothing too excessive, but I have enjoyed reading and owning the Limited Editions published by the small speciality presses such as your own Philtrum, along with PS Publishing and of course Donald M Grant. Indeed, I was delighted earlier this year to finally conclude my own quest for theDark Tower, when I finally managed to complete my matching set after almost 30 years. Whilst of course it is the stories, (always the stories), I have enjoyed both the art within the Limited Editions, and indeed, the typography and design and work that goes into many of the finer editions, and their scarcity and chasing them down is also all part of the fun.

I was thrilled then, when I managed to secure a lettered edition of the forthcoming limited edition - Secretary of Dreams, from Cemetary Dance Publications. I must confess that I was a little concerned as I havehad an issue with delays with their previous Limited Edition of yours, From a Buick 8, having to resort to a formal complaint via my credit card company, but despite this, I was drawn in by the collecting bug.

I imagine you can see where this is going.....

So, I did (eventually) receive the signed limited edition - a lovely book, but no sign of the lettered, despite promises from CD that it was in hand. It is probably worth noting at this point that with CD all orders must be paid for in full on ordering. So, no book, and now no money. So, despite the fact that they have failed to deliver on the first book, they announce the second Secretary of Dreams - well of course having already 'got' the first lettered, and indeed, actually having 'got' (as opposed the the previous virtual 'got' ) the normal limited edition I sign up for more. Yes, you would have thought I would have seen where this might end, but I was just excited at the prospect of the second lettered edition and really believed that CD would actually deliver. In fairness to them, the first edition of SOD was a good looking edition, so I had very high hopes for the lettered as to date, I had never managed to get any lettered editions.

Anyhow, cutting what has become a long story slightly short (brevity was never my strong point!), further delays and simply a lack of communication from CD began to get me worried - I have attached all my correspondence with CD, where I try to extract accurate information about the likely publication timetable, but simply nothing was forthcoming - false promises, and nothing more.
    Ultimately I made the decision, really brought about by a total loss of confidence, and indeed, a very real fear of their demise, that I should ask for a refund.
    Whilst not a kings ransom, it still amounted to $4450 - not a small sum, especially in the current climate. More to the point they have had much of this money for months, or indeed, years, and I had no benefit of the items I had ordered and paid for. Lets say that just the lettered edition is 52 copies (usual quantity), and each one was $1000. That is $52,000 of customers money that they have - over 2 editions - thats alot of cash - and not a single customer has anything to show for this......I dont know the law in the USA, but over here their behaviour is tantamount to fraud.

What does this have to do with you - well, as the author, then I assume (dangerous word) that these books have to be approved and sanctioned by you - and these delays really bring this into disrepute, as it sullies your most excellent name. Whilst other publishers in the speciality market suffer delays, this is always tempered by good communication, and of course the fact that they have not charged you up front.

Recently the man in charge of CD made a statement apologising for his lack of focus, and promising to do better - well this is just fine, but he must be sat on (or indeed has spent) hundreds of thousands of dollars of customers money - he should be doing more than just apologising - he should either be delivering what he promised, or giving the money back. Period.

What I think is such a shame is that other publishers do do such a great job - look at Grants work over the years - superb editions, wonderful design and always superb customer service - can I urge you to give more to them as at least we may see them in a realistic time frame, and not be out of pocket while we wait. CD should not be allowed to continue with what is at best sharp practise, and at worst, downright illegal.
    As for me - well, I am still waiting for my final refund - CD tells me they have done it - and I've attached what they sent me as proof - I've also attached my own credit card statement to show you that I dont have it - but despite numerous emails, CD are not doing anything about this - so years on from ordering, and months after I asked for my money back, I have nothing - all I wanted was to add to my small collection of your limited editions - books I treasure and stories I love, but I have nothing.

I run a small business myself and if I had behaved like this in the UK I am sure I would quite probably have been subject to a number of legal actions - If I were resident in the USA, then I'm sure I would know what to do, but sadly i'm not, so I just appeal to you for 4 things.

Please please do not allow CD to publish any more of your work - they cannot be allowed to rip your readers off in this manner.
    Please allow the quality publishers like Robert at Grant to restore my faith, and rebuild collectors trust and let them have some more work to plan and publish!.

Please can you bring some pressure to bear on CD to deliver the editions that they have so plainly failed to produce (or take them off them and let Grant actually deliver) - obviously I have had a partial refund - I doubt if I will ever get all my money now but hopefully others may at least get a book.
    And finally, don't retire just yet and keep the tales coming - despite my absolute annoyance with how CD have and continue to rip customers off my appetite for your work is in no way diminished - I just hope you can make them see that how they work and what they have done is wrong and it must stop.

Very Kind Regards

Michael Whelan

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

well said,hope your money comes thru in the end.i know its the books we really want,thats why we happily hand over our hard earned cash,but like yourself i too got a tad worried about their state of health. i luckily got all my money back and will now have to get the books on the secondary market(if they even get released at all). but,at least the money is gathering dust in my account and not theirs.

Gunslinger Apprentice mikeyw is on a distinguished road

I'm pleased to say that I did eventually get all my money back - it was just all a real shame as it was quite avoidable i'm sure. Taking money and providing nothing is just theft in my book.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Mike, once again, I enjoyed reading it. What a shame you haven't heard anything from them, even the office itself, if not the man.

Well, happy you and Barry got your money back! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Cheers!

K-
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Lonely Road Books announced that the special edition of Riding the bullet will be published in 2010, possibly during spring.

And they added some illustrations made by Alan Clark:

Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like the second picture. The 'Frankenstein' necklace lacing is great.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking for an ARC of "Blood Crazy" by Simon Clark and "Death's Door" by Michael Slade (both CD books). Can anyone here help me out?

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking through some old emails today...I paid for my SOD#V2 in June '07. They have had my $ for 2.25 years now.

They have had my $ for Legacies even longer (although not as long as most, as I bought my copy later...one of the cancelled orders).

Don't recall how long they have had my $ for Big Book of Necon.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tippy,

I paid for my SD vol. 2 at the same time as you did.

Have you gotten any updates on when this book will be ready? I haven't seen anything in quite some time.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Alan Clark told me there's one more illustration for the book but that can't be shown at this time yet.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And, on the other hand, the originals and prints are for sale:

http://alanmclark.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

The original paintings of these print images as well as the sketches for the paintings, called "studies," can be found using the following link:

http://alanmclark.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=21
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd sure like to see the release of SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volume 2. I don't really care to hear more claims from CD that Chadbourne is doing "even more" art for the book and that that is holding up the entire production.

Ari, I didn't order it, but those are nice pictures for RIDING THE BULLET. I like Alan Clarke's work.

Personally I don't expect to ever again preorder anything from Cemetery Dance nor from any other label they own, such as Lonely Road. I hope to God that there is never an announcement to preorder a SOD, Vol. 3. I don't want to test my willpower against my OCD for a matching number set.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My OCD would be overridden by my checkbook I think. They have $35 of my dollars. Because it's such a small amount, I'm not terribly concerned about it. If it were more than $100 though, I'd be beyond pissed. As it is, no matter HOW good whatever they produce may be, I won't be buying it from them from here on.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What do you have on preorder for $35, Sam?

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like someone has already purchased one of Alan's paintings from Riding the Bullet, anyone here? And the last painting Ari mentioned that Alan did is a wraparound cover.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I'd sure like to see the release of SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volume 2. I don't really care to hear more claims from CD that Chadbourne is doing "even more" art for the book and that that is holding up the entire production.

Ari, I didn't order it, but those are nice pictures for RIDING THE BULLET. I like Alan Clarke's work.

Personally I don't expect to ever again preorder anything from Cemetery Dance nor from any other label they own, such as Lonely Road. I hope to God that there is never an announcement to preorder a SOD, Vol. 3. I don't want to test my willpower against my OCD for a matching number set.
    I was wondering if they would do a third SOD.

I will probably buy in if they do, even though I know exactly what to expect from them in terms of the time spent waiting to receive it.

I don't have a large sum of money tied up with them, but I would like to get the books I preordered from them years ago.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What do you have on preorder for $35, Sam?
    A book called The Forum. It sounded interesting when I ordered it, um last year I think. Maybe longer than that.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Along the Path of the Beam DavidK44 is on a distinguished road

My longest pre-order with CD is the Lansdale collection "The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners" limited edition. I set up the order in February of 2006, so we're coming up on four years, now... next in line is the Pelan "Century's Best Horror" compilation, at not quite three years.

That's why I've stopped pre-ordering directly with them, and have decided to go through a bookstore that will pre-order for me, without charging me until the book is in hand.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm done too.

Next time they announce a SK SL, I am going to take the money that the book would cost me, put it in it's own separate interest bearing account, and by the time the book actually comes out, I will have enough to buy the book on the secondary market at a higher price.

In the end it will still cost me the same, but the odds of CD going out of business while I wait are 1000 times greater than my bank going out of business.

And I could give a rat's ass about more Chadbourne art. I wish they would stop acting like they are doing us a favor by adding more.

Besides, who knows if SK will ever do another book with them again.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

I'm done too.

Next time they announce a SK SL, I am going to take the money that the book would cost me, put it in it's own separate interest bearing account, and by the time the book actually comes out, I will have enough to buy the book on the secondary market at a higher price.

In the end it will still cost me the same, but the odds of CD going out of business while I wait are 1000 times greater than my bank going out of business.

And I could give a rat's ass about more Chadbourne art. I wish they would stop acting like they are doing us a favor by adding more.

Besides, who knows if SK will ever do another book with them again.
    If I were Chadbourne I'd be pissed too. They are basically blaming him for the delays.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    You know that will never happen. You will spend it on some other SK SL.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DavidK44 View Post
    My longest pre-order with CD is the Lansdale collection "The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners" limited edition. I set up the order in February of 2006, so we're coming up on four years, now... next in line is the Pelan "Century's Best Horror" compilation, at not quite three years.

That's why I've stopped pre-ordering directly with them, and have decided to go through a bookstore that will pre-order for me, without charging me until the book is in hand.
    I think I placed my order for "The Century's Best Horror" back in 2005/2006, so it is the oldest order I have pending with them.

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personaly will never buy from CD again. I dint care what it is or what it cost. When I get my SODII s/l + Gift edition I'm done. I will just get anything on the secondary market

Oh and by the way...Greetings and salutations..I'm back !! My heli flying days are soon to come to a close so that means you all get me for the winter
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome back, Chooch!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 890 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 528 ... LastLast