Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 889 FirstFirst ... 196 596 646 686 694 695 696 697 698 706 746 796 ... LastLast
Results 17,376 to 17,400 of 22221

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Lettered sold out. I opened the email 1 minute after receiving it.

ORdered the slipcase. Brian, you've got an email!
    It sold out via the CDCC announcement.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Congratulations to all involved! Already ordered the AE and can't wait to see/hold/read
    Two things: I am going on a trip in Sept to the Stanley Hotel that will involve flying. Coincidence? I think not. To read while on/before my trip? Definitely not
    Trying to figure out which restaurant you guys were at as there are only a few by the airport
    Nicky's? Capt. Nicks? Ground Round? Inquiring minds want to know
    But seriously, this is a really cool and exciting project and I'm happy for you!
    And I'm the only one over here shouting, "A new Hill story!"
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Just went in to order another copy of the gift edition and saw that my account still had money in it. I DONT THINK MY LETTERED ORDER WENT through.

Devastated.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Congratulations to all involved! Already ordered the AE and can't wait to see/hold/read
    Two things: I am going on a trip in Sept to the Stanley Hotel that will involve flying. Coincidence? I think not. To read while on/before my trip? Definitely not
    Trying to figure out which restaurant you guys were at as there are only a few by the airport
    Nicky's? Capt. Nicks? Ground Round? Inquiring minds want to know
    But seriously, this is a really cool and exciting project and I'm happy for you!
    Lol Brian, no. No you're not! I believe it's the one he read at a couple of stops, one of those being the NH one I missed due to freezing rain. My friend that went said it's fantastic!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Lol Brian, no. No you're not! I believe it's the one he read at a couple of stops, one of those being the NH one I missed due to freezing rain. My friend that went said it's fantastic!
    He read an abbreviated version of the story recently. Man, it's a disturbing but fascinating and skillfully written tale.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    He read an abbreviated version of the story recently. Man, it's a disturbing but fascinating and skillfully written tale.
    I thought that the title sounded familiar, Lori.

Congrats to you as well, Bev! Cool that it'll be receiving a UK and audio release too.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice one guys, congrats!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Lettered sold out. I opened the email 1 minute after receiving it.

ORdered the slipcase. Brian, you've got an email!
    Ari, do you mean you ordered the slipcased AE? Or is there a separate slipcase for the trade hardcover edition? I didn't see a slipcase option for the hardcover edition.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I got ripped on the lettered too, I can't win lately.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I got ripped on the lettered too, I can't win lately.
    I have been feeling the same way.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I heard an abbreviated version in Savannah and Bev is right (as usual) - it's really something. You guys will love it!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apologies if I've missed this factoid mentioned elsewhere, but is this the first anthology actually edited by Stephen King? (excluding Six Scary Stories)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Apologies if I've missed this factoid mentioned elsewhere, but is this the first anthology actually edited by Stephen King? (excluding Six Scary Stories)
    IIRC Six Scary Stories were "selected and introduced" by Stephen King. King was not the editor/co-editor for that book.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How is that different from FLIGHT OR FRIGHT?
    I mean, most of the stories were already published...

There is also THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES 2007 that he edited/co edited with Heidi Pitlor
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quite a bit of nuance and interpretation...but certainly (I'll probably be proved wrong) this is the first that includes an original story by Stephen King.

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Just went in to order another copy of the gift edition and saw that my account still had money in it. I DONT THINK MY LETTERED ORDER WENT through.

Devastated.
    Mylettered order went through with confirmation and CC charged, then got email stating sorry we over sold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quite a bit of nuance and interpretation...
    Indeed, there is. Personally, I view anthologies and the editorial credits through a few different lenses.

Something like SIX SCARY STORIES isn't really "edited" by anyone because those stories were the finalists for the contest. King "selected" to put them all together in a book -- that was never part of the original contest. (There have been some big reprint only anthologies that I would personally label as "selected by" instead of "edited by" since there was no real editing involved.)

For a series like THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES, you usually have a "series editor" who works on each volume to oversee the general editorial duties, one of which is narrowing down the reading list for the "guest editor," who then picks from that list. (I don't know if that's how the process worked for SK given that he's a reading machine and he might have read EVERYTHING. So he very well might have read the same stories as Heidi Pitlor and they might have discussed them all to create the the TOC! But in many cases, the series editor will read many hundreds of stories and pass along 30 or 40 for the guest editor to pick from.)

Finally, you have what most people think of as an "anthology." An editor (or two or even three!) get together and either read submissions or discuss reprints they think fit the theme (or both!) and then they assemble the TOC together. When there are multiple editors, one of them usually handles all of the contracts, so there is no miscommunication, and the other might assemble the manuscript into the final document, etc. How the tasks are divided up varies.

In the case of FLIGHT OR FRIGHT, you have a very traditional anthology -- two editors got together, discussed the theme and what stories might work for it, they did a bunch of research to see what stories they might be missing or forgetting (and then tracked down and read those stories if needed), and then they picked their favorites for the anthology. Plus they arranged for two very special new stories to make the book extra special.

(Hopefully this is coherent because I'm pretty wiped out at this point in the day!)

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great discussion... Thanks...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quite a bit of nuance and interpretation...
    Indeed, there is. Personally, I view anthologies and the editorial credits through a few different lenses.

Something like SIX SCARY STORIES isn't really "edited" by anyone because those stories were the finalists for the contest. King "selected" to put them all together in a book -- that was never part of the original contest. (There have been some big reprint only anthologies that I would personally label as "selected by" instead of "edited by" since there was no real editing involved.)

For a series like THE BEST AMERICAN SHORT STORIES, you usually have a "series editor" who works on each volume to oversee the general editorial duties, one of which is narrowing down the reading list for the "guest editor," who then picks from that list. (I don't know if that's how the process worked for SK given that he's a reading machine and he might have read EVERYTHING. So he very well might have read the same stories as Heidi Pitlor and they might have discussed them all to create the the TOC! But in many cases, the series editor will read many hundreds of stories and pass along 30 or 40 for the guest editor to pick from.)

Finally, you have what most people think of as an "anthology." An editor (or two or even three!) get together and either read submissions or discuss reprints they think fit the theme (or both!) and then they assemble the TOC together. When there are multiple editors, one of them usually handles all of the contracts, so there is no miscommunication, and the other might assemble the manuscript into the final document, etc. How the tasks are divided up varies.

In the case of FLIGHT OR FRIGHT, you have a very traditional anthology -- two editors got together, discussed the theme and what stories might work for it, they did a bunch of research to see what stories they might be missing or forgetting (and then tracked down and read those stories if needed), and then they picked their favorites for the anthology. Plus they arranged for two very special new stories to make the book extra special.

(Hopefully this is coherent because I'm pretty wiped out at this point in the day!)

Brian
    Thanks Brian for your feedback. So, if I understand correctly, the main difference with the two previous vs FLIGHT would mostly be the fact that the first two books were a selection from an already restricted list, while I guess that Bev & Steve were not restricted. They were more opened to select whatever stories were fitting best the theme they wanted to go for, and then they would go to see the copyright issues.

On the other hand, the other two selections they were given a list of stories to chose from.
    Mostly, that would be the main differences, am I correct?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    SK certainly read a lot for that anthology, if not everything. He asked me to point out any obscure genre anthologies or collections I was aware of that might contain eligible works and send links on to him so he could look for candidate stories.

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Thanks Brian for your feedback. So, if I understand correctly, the main difference with the two previous vs FLIGHT would mostly be the fact that the first two books were a selection from an already restricted list, while I guess that Bev & Steve were not restricted. They were more opened to select whatever stories were fitting best the theme they wanted to go for, and then they would go to see the copyright issues.

On the other hand, the other two selections they were given a list of stories to chose from.
    Mostly, that would be the main differences, am I correct?
    I don't think SK was at all restricted when working Best American Short Stories -- he might have been given a list of recommendations, but he also came up with his own list based on what he read during the project.

Generally speaking, my above post is how *I* would categorize things, but only generally speaking.

In the case of SK, I suspect he did a lot of heavy lifting for THE BEST, just given his nature. Some "guest editors" just wait and read whatever the series editor gives them to read. But SK takes his job pretty seriously, as Bev notes above.

So please consider my post above to be more of a "general thoughts" kind of deal than speaking on any specific projects especially since I have no personal experience with at least one of those projects.

To 99% of people, all of this is semantics anyway. Lots of "general readers" don't even differentiate between a collection and an anthology. So I'm just talking for those who want to listen to my take on things... and there's no guarantee I'm right... ha!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Country
    Country Flag

That is great information and thanks for a peek behind the curtain of how some of these things come to be, Brian. As you say, semantics to most, but I always find this kinda thing interesting. General readers might not differentiate between collections and anthologies, but there is a huge difference between the two IMO.

Brian. How far do you see the Cemetery Dance Gold Seal series going? With King not getting any younger and at the same time, seeming to not be slowing down; I wonder how much time he'll have to dedicate to the series moving forward.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian! Very interesting stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 889 FirstFirst ... 196 596 646 686 694 695 696 697 698 706 746 796 ... LastLast