Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 325 of 890 FirstFirst ... 225 275 315 323 324 325 326 327 335 375 425 825 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,125 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Did anyone like Chadbourne's art on the special edition dustjackets for "The Shining" and "Doctor Sleep" with The Overlook? I bought both of them recently and quite liked them. I also like the cover of PS Publishing's "Carrie" though I agree - not the interiors so much.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    Did anyone like Chadbourne's art on the special edition dustjackets for "The Shining" and "Doctor Sleep" with The Overlook? I bought both of them recently and quite liked them. I also like the cover of PS Publishing's "Carrie" though I agree - not the interiors so much.
    did you receive them? when? still waiting on mine! and you are in EUROPE!

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Nevermind.

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Didn't receive "Carrie" yet but I did get "The Shining" and "Doctor Sleep" via The Overlook and ebay.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I love how some folks seem to disparage a particular artist's style or popularity when they, most probably, couldn't draw a dog's ass farting in a snowstorm.

If you don't like something, don't buy it. No need to slander a person who makes their living creating art just because YOU dont like it. There are many folks who do (or said person wouldnt be putting food on their table doing what they do)
    I don't want shitty art on books that I spend hundreds of dollars on and will retain for the rest of my years. I want to ENJOY the art. For the most part I have decided to not purchase SK books with Chadbourne art which sucks because I still want the book as I'm a completist. It's a catch-22.
    WTF!! Seriously??? How can anybody say that Glenn Chadbourne's art is shitty? The Secretary of Dreams is one of my favourite books and his artwork within that was truly stunning!!!!
    It's easy, we all have our opinions and standards.
    A handful of his paintings are decent enough, but the pen and ink stuff looks like over-detailed high school level art. That's why I ended up selling my S/L copy of The Dark Man.

Now that's not to say that CD shouldn't use him on occasion, obviously he has his fans. It's just that many of us are well past the saturation point and are much happier to hear about the other artists being used.
    Mark Twain

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I'll wait to see how the gift edition does on the secondary market before I dive in on these. I like the idea of a uniform set of high quality books on my shelf.

My Mood
    Breezy

Did most people here pass on the PS Publishing version of "Carrie"? I almost passed on it, but in the end decided to go for it - I didn't go for "Pet" or "Christine" though.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I passed on them all.

John

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I passed on them all.

John
    Me too.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I can't believe I'm saying this- but the first guy to pop into my mind for Salem's Lot- was Chadbourne. I can't believe it because like many here I was never a huge fan (he's kind of hit and miss as an artist for me), but mostly because he is so oversaturated in the King CD books. But... something about his style seems right for this book, particularly. And- I think he's getting better as an artist of late. One caveat: I still strongly suggest that CD stick with one artist for each novel- and that includes the covers. I really dislike that disjointed feeling when the interior art is a whole different vibe than the cover.

Ron

Just for reference in case any wants to have the information handy, here are the artists for our SK books to date:

From a Buick 8 -- Bernie Wrightson
    The Secretary of Dreams (Volume One) -- Glenn Chadbourne
    Blockade Billy -- Glen Orbik (cover) and Alex McVey (interiors)
    The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) -- Glenn Chadbourne
    Full Dark, No Stars -- Tomislav Tikulin (covers); Glenn Chadbourne, Jill Bauman, Alan M. Clark, and Vincent Chong (interiors)
    It (25th Anniversary Special Edition) -- Glen Orbik (covers), Alan M. Clark & Erin S. Wells (interiors)
    The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem -- Glenn Chadbourne
    Doctor Sleep -- Vincent Chong (cover and color interiors), Erin S. Wells (B&W interiors)
    Carrie -- Tomislav Tikulin

The artists we've hired so far for the other Doubleday books have never done artwork for us before, although you probably know their names from other SK projects. It should make for a nice, fresh mix and some different looks to these books.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Tomislav Tikulin's Full Dark, No Stars covers. In fact, my boyfriend also loved it and as such, it's the only horror print hanging outside of my office/bookroom/domain. I don't know if I plan on collecting these yet, but I love that you are using a variety of artists. May I also put in a vote for using Jill Bauman and our fellow DT member Ryan Harrison. I don't know if he is well-known enough, but Ryan did work on the Dolso cases for Joyland and did a terrific job, in my opinion.

I hope you are having a relaxing evening after this insane day, Brian!

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    It appears the Stephen King collecting market has just changed... immensely.
    I'm interested to know what you mean by that.

I didn't "mean" anything and this should probably be moved to another thread.
    But, if you can now sell SK books without a SK signature for 1k no problem, why would any current publisher sell a signed SK for less?
    CDance just changed the market permanently. Could be good, could be bad, time will tell.
    BTW.. Joyland was a total fluke, way underpriced.
    Cook may have a point. I saw the announcement this morning and, like a number of others, was underwhelmed. I also mentally recapped the prior treatment of the Doubleday novels. Of the six, three already have been issued in signed/limited edition states: 'Salem's Lot (Centipede; one of my favorite S/Ls), The Shining (Subterranean) and The Stand (Doubleday), and of those Centipede and Subterranean also released "gift" editions. So, I wondered how CD would succeed where others have trod the trail before them. Also, if you had told me this morning that someone would fork over $1000 in honest coin for a lettered edition signed ONLY by the artist and not the author, I'd have called the nice men in the white jackets with the butterfly nets.

But the results prove my initial impression wrong, to my surprise.

Personally, I doubt that I will be ordering any of these. CD consistently puts out a high-quality product, and many of their editions rest on the top shelf of my bookcase. But, if it doesn't have the signature of the author, I have a hard time justifying the expense. I also will admit to a degree of fatigue in general regarding the re-issue of old works (which, of course, did not stop me from ordering a S/L of Subterranean's The Shining). I'd rather save my wampum, and look for a signed 1st Doubleday edition of Night Shift.

(And, by the way, if any of you happen to have an extra copy of that, which you're thinking of getting rid of . . . .)

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian, different question if I may: Any update on The Dark Man Art Portfolio's? Thank you

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

And, of course, I forgot to mention the 30th Anniversary "gift" edition of Pet Sematary by PS.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Brian, different question if I may: Any update on The Dark Man Art Portfolio's? Thank you
    Yeah I would love I know how that is coming too
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The last three aren't Glenn's. They are by Robert Addison. I would love to see CD's 'Salem's Lot illustrated with his work.
    Well, there you go then. I don't know who Robert Addison is, but I like those three B&W's he did much better than the two colored ones that Glenn did. And now, knowing those weren't Glenn's, I think I know the difference and what I like about them ... they're not cartoony. They're very realistic, and I love his use of light and shadow. Very much like Erin Wells, and also if you know who JMW Turner was, they paint with light.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

The New York Times write-up about our Stephen King Doubleday Collection:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ype=blogs&_r=0

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    The New York Times write-up about our Stephen King Doubleday Collection:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ype=blogs&_r=0

Brian
    Congratulations on the write-up!

John

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

After thinking about this project, I think it is actually going to be pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    I'll email our box maker for an update tomorrow. The last I heard, after three tries they finally found a design that didn't damage the artwork (woo-hoo!) and they were starting production on the cases last month. Usually they take 12 or so weeks, but production times can vary... and this is actually two cases in one, so that may complicate things? I will find out and report back as soon as I can!

Brian

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brian, that is AWESOME! On behalf of this community, we are obviously very happy for you and the entire CD team... Covered by the NY Times!? Really!?

Gotta' tell ya', I am really surprised at the initial sell-through and the amount of "fanfare/$$$s" unsigned, reprinted editions are getting. I just don't get it.....

Obviously in the minority given how many of these have already sold....

Congrats again!

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice cover. I'm sure it will be fantastic. I can't imagine anyone paying $1K, though, for a copy not signed by King. For that amount, I would expect him to deliver it to my door and read it to me while I sipped the bottle of Dom Perignon that he brought along, but to each his own. I can only attribute the level of interest to speculators or those that grew up reading King who are now at the peak of their income levels. If the book had been signed, imagine the price and how quickly it would have sold out. My only criticism is that it was difficult to ascertain the difference between the various selections. They were all lumped together and it appears some people assumed they were signed by King. While the difference may be obvious to the more experienced collector, it would be nice for the novices among us to get a better description of the various choices.

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    Brian, that is AWESOME! On behalf of this community, we are obviously very happy for you and the entire CD team... Covered by the NY Times!? Really!?

Gotta' tell ya', I am really surprised at the initial sell-through and the amount of "fanfare/$$$s" unsigned, reprinted editions are getting. I just don't get it.....

Obviously in the minority given how many of these have already sold....

Congrats again!
    Yep, coverage by the NY Times: that rocks. Good for you guys at CD.

Thanks to everyone who made today exciting, fun, and interesting. We're always reading the feedback, even if I can't reply to every post. We appreciate your passion for all things Stephen King and collecting, and your willingness to share your unvarnished feelings about our projects.

We knew these editions wouldn't be for everyone. We've wanted to publish this set for as long as I've worked at Cemetery Dance. We were given the opportunity to publish them in the editions we offered today, and we plan on delivering the best editions we possibly can.

For those who passed, hopefully there will be other projects in the future where we deliver what you're dreaming about.

Thanks,
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 325 of 890 FirstFirst ... 225 275 315 323 324 325 326 327 335 375 425 825 ... LastLast