Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mia's legs

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Mia's legs

So when Susannah (and Mia in Susannah's body) arrived in New York Mia could grow and attach her own legs to Susannah's body.
    But why couldn't she do it in the Calla, in Roland's world? It would have been much much easier to flee. New York wasn't her world. Nor was Roland's. So what's the difference?
    So why didn't she use her legs after the battle in Calla?

Roland would have understood.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

You always have such interesting questions Letti.

My thinking is that Mia had the ability to do so in the Calla, she just didn't do it. In the Calla, she was still trying to keep herself hidden from the rest of the Tet, knowing that if she were discovered, her plans to abduct Susannah's body and birth Mordred would likely be foiled.

I'm not sure why she didn't "grow her legs" directly after the battle to escape to the cave unless she still thought someone might see her and wonder where Susannah suddenly got legs from. If she went as Susannah, anyone who saw her wouldn't have thought twice. Once they went to NY after the battle with the Wolves it was no longer necessary to hide.

Of course, there is still the time they went todash to NY and she did have her legs, but that was a huge mistake on Mia's part. Roland already knew (though Mia didn't know that) but it should have been a dead giveaway to the other members of the Tet that something was up with Susannah.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Mia's world and Roland's are the same, so she would be herself in that world. Makes sense to me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i had something really clever (intelligent, i mean, not smartass) to say on this subject. But i forget.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I just figured it was something she grew to be able to do as Mia's possession grew stronger, and the baby grew larger.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    i had something really clever (intelligent, i mean, not smartass) to say on this subject. But i forget.
    Well let's hope you remember then.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

Maybe something like "She has a great pair?"
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

She's got laigs....
    She knows how to use them....

Good song.

Ok. I had difficulty understanding how Susannah could have legs in the keystone world. When she went todash I thought it perfectly reasonable, since todash is kind of like a dream state. In fact I found it reasonable even without Mia's influence. I seem to remember Susannah having them when she travelled in the grapefruit at the end of Wizard and Glass too. (True, Mia could have loaned them again, but point is, I don't see that it was required.)

Having legs in the physical world was very strange though even taking Mia's 'loan' into account. I disagree she could have loaned them Mid-World side too as it just doesn't add up considering the end scene when she escaped. True, as others have mentioned she might have wished to disguise that ability. Particularly as it would cause the rest of the ka-tet to underestimate her abilities NY side, but I don't think that would have stopped Mia. She wanted to take Susannah across to the keystone world quickly after all, and taking black 13 with her, she probably didn't expect to be followed. (Being a paranoid bint, especially where her chap was concerned, she probably wasn't surprised either though.)

I think maybe it has something to do with the magic of crossing worlds. I.e. crossing worlds could be seen as a form of birth, and I think the leg faxing magic could have been all part of that. Perhaps it has something to do with grabbing the residual prim substance to generate the legs, and passing between worlds allows her to do that.

I also think Mia's ability on that score is more limited in her own world. I'm not sure why that is. You'd think that she'd be stronger on her own turf wouldn't you? And I think she probably is, but power can take different forms, and this particular one was not available.

EDIT- Another thought occurs. Maybe the 'loan' of her legs was partly due to utilising the Old Ones' technology. If that tech were focused specifically on the keystone world, that would make a lot of sense in explaining her lack of legs Mid-World side. It would probably be a lot of palaver* to focus the tech in one world then another. Assuming that were even possible, as the technology might be transdimensional in nature.

*I just realised, I used the word 'palaver' in a completely different way, to the way it's used in the books! It's a word I actually used growing up. It essentially means a lot of work and hassle, rather than an involved conversation as it is in Westerns, and the DT books. I think it's fair to say a palaver can be a bit of a palaver though. It's also a sweet Arabic desert made with honey. **

** Double EDIT- Actually, no that one would be baclava (sometimes called 'paclava'. ) That play on words fell flat. )

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Could Mia be stronger there? In New York? But why?
    Maybe she felt that she could have her baby soon and it gave her power...
    ehh.. just wondering.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Maybe everyone's stronger in the keystone world?

This thread is dying without Razz's forgotten smart-ass comment.

My Mood
    Worried

I am a threadkiller.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Maybe everyone's stronger in the keystone world?
    Hm, I don't think so.
    The only thing I can think of is that Mia hadn't been aware of her ability before. When she went through the door such a shock hit her hijacked body that she realised she could add her own parts to Susannah's body.
    *shrug* It might have been absolutely unconscious. Mia wasn't stupid but she wasn't a genius either.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

The magic in Roland's world was on a decline, so maybe in passing through the door and todash into the Keystone World gave Mia a little boost of energy that allowed her to grow the legs? I think this also explains Susannah's legs during their trip into the Grapefruit--a magical item that gave Mia the strength to give Susannah legs during that trip.

+ Reply to Thread