Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie of all time? Top 2 advance!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Clockwork Orange

10 38.46%
  • Dazed & Confused

4 15.38%
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

3 11.54%
  • Dogma

9 34.62%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMOAT - Round 2, Group B

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I have no problem with cruelty in movies, but I have big problems with ideology and hypocrisy, and the satire of that movie seemed to me exactly the direct flipside of (thus, essentially the same as) what they were trying to criticize, ridicule, expose, whatever.
    I hope you don't mind if I reply to this, Jean.

In my opinion, what you describe is exactly what Kubrick was trying for. It's intentionally hypocritcal.

ETA :
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I think you'd find the morality of the uncut book far less hypocritical, Jean. The movie is more of a celebration of Alex's wickedness.
    Brice zipped in on me while I was replying to the bear... I agree with this statement about the book, but I don't know if with the movie it was a celebration so much as an over-statement for the sake of the film.

I loved the book, too, by the way.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

My last semi-off topic post, I promise! I'm just super-energized on it because of meeting Malcolm McDowell.

Woofer: there's a C/Orange thread somewhere, and I long ago promised to post there; I will with time. I have no problem with cruelty in movies, but I have big problems with ideology and hypocrisy, and the satire of that movie seemed to me exactly the direct flipside of (thus, essentially the same as) what they were trying to criticize, ridicule, expose, whatever. (Their Russian is absurd, of course; in such cases it can always be said that it was done on purpose, not out of ignorance - youth slang, what do you want)
    I see what you mean, but I thought that it underscored the idea of the conflict between freewill (Alex's choice to do evil) versus determinism (Alex being conditioned to do good and to be made ill by evil) as summed up by the prison chaplain's comment "Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man."

And yes yes yes on the language. I think the childishness in Nadsat is intentional, such as appy polly loggies and eggiweg, to name a few English examples.

I think you'd find the morality of the uncut book far less hypocritical, Jean. The movie is more of a celebration of Alex's wickedness.
    We all know how I feel about that last chapter (awkward and inappropriate), too.

Back on topic, any comments on Dazed and Confused? I'm curious about its appeal because it seems like something I might like, but within minutes I'm bored to tears.
    Last edited by Woofer; 10-23-2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: A little more clarification.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    My last semi-off topic post, I promise!

Woofer: there's a C/Orange thread somewhere, and I long ago promised to post there; I will with time. I have no problem with cruelty in movies, but I have big problems with ideology and hypocrisy, and the satire of that movie seemed to me exactly the direct flipside of (thus, essentially the same as) what they were trying to criticize, ridicule, expose, whatever. (Their Russian is absurd, of course; in such cases it can always be said that it was done on purpose, not out of ignorance - youth slang, what do you want)
    I see what you mean, but I thought that it underscored the idea of the conflict between freewill (Alex's choice to do evil) versus determinism (Alex being conditioned to do good and to be made ill by evil) as summed up by the prison chaplain's comment "Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man."

We all know how I feel about that last chapter, too.
    You consider it to be a blight upon the english language?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is. Moreover, it is an attempt to show that the wicked Alex is the only one who is honest, while everyone else is pretending and lying, but in reality is ten time worse than him (parents, ordinary citizens, his former victims etc), which is a dirty cheap dangerous lie - very popular since The Catcher in the Rye, but cheap, dirty and dangerous nevertheless.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is. Moreover, it is an attempt to show that the wicked Alex is the only one who is honest, while everyone else is pretending and lying, but in reality is ten time worse than him (parents, ordinary citizens, his former victims etc), which is a dirty cheap dangerous lie - very popular since The Catcher in the Rye, but cheap, dirty and dangerous nevertheless.
    Read the book my friend.

In all fairness though considering that Alex is the narrator from his own perspective through much of this story it is his reality. This changes later on.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    My last semi-off topic post, I promise!

We all know how I feel about that last chapter, too.
    You consider it to be a blight upon the english language?
    I.... I... promised not to post, though... AUGH!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I actually had to think about this because I love both Clockwork Orange and Dogma

My Mood
    Gay

I think Dazed and Confused really speaks to the exact people who grew up in that year.

It captures the tenure and speaks to that group same as American Graffitti speaks to the 50's era.

You kind of have to look past the stoner-ness of it all, and see if for the sweet-innocent-on-the-brink-of-adulthood sort of thing.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I haven't seen most of A Clockwork Orange, so I can't vote for it. Dogma's me choice.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a feeling Clockwork is going to go the distance.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

My Mood
    Worried

For the record (who is the secretary, by the way?), I also adore Dogma (even though I loathe Ben Affleck with every molecule in my body).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Affleck in Dogma, I think he and Damon have great on screen chemistry.

My Mood
    Worried

I liked what Kevin got out of him in Dogma. I think it helps a lot that Damon and Affleck and Smith are RL friends. However, I have a deep and irrational loathing of Affleck and can simultaneously hate him and love what Kevin Smith got out of him for Dogma.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really... Dogma... for best movie of all-time? I liked the movie but come on! In fact I do not think that any of these movies are quite up to that.

I think Dazed and Confused really speaks to the exact people who grew up in that year.

It captures the tenure and speaks to that group same as American Graffitti speaks to the 50's era.

You kind of have to look past the stoner-ness of it all, and see if for the sweet-innocent-on-the-brink-of-adulthood sort of thing.
    While I agree with the last sentence here I disagree with the first one. I know a number of people that like Dazed and Confused that were not even alive in the seventies. I think maybe it appeals more to people who grew up in a small towns; especially if they spent every weekend drinking beer and riding around town looking for a party to go to. BTW, this describes most everyone I grew up with.

Also, a lot of decent actors and actresses got their start on Dazed and Confused, including the above mentioned Ben Afleck.

My Mood
    Worried

But you see I do get all that. It just bores me.

It must be me.

My Mood
    Gay

RUBE - Excellent point about the small town aspect of DandC. I had overlooked it, but you're dead on there. Thanks.

Woofer - Well, I hated Fear and Loathing... so jump on the bus

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*Return of the BUMP*

This poll closes tonight

My Mood
    Worried

A Clockwork Orange - oh yeah!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Dogma is way too close.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Dogma is an excellent movie though and I won't be too sad if it wins, but I voted for Orange.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Dogma too, but not as much as the other films.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2