Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Tim Burton thread

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Tim Burton thread

Burton Talks Alice
    The director on his version of Wonderland.
    by Jim Vejvoda

October 16, 2008 - Director Tim Burton hopes that his live-action/performance capture retelling of Alice in Wonderland will be what he feels other screen versions of the story haven't been: engaging and psychological.

"It's a funny project. The story is obviously a classic with iconic images and ideas and thoughts. But with all the movie versions, well, I've just never seen one that really had any impact to me. It's always just a series of weird events," Burton told the Los Angeles Times.

"Every character is strange and she's just kind of wandering through all of the encounters as just a sort of observer. The goal is to try to make it an engaging movie where you get some of the psychology and kind of bring a freshness but also keep the classic nature of Alice. And, you know, getting to do it in 3-D fits the material quite well. So I'm excited about making it a new version but also have the elements that people expect when they think of the material."

Burton isn't even especially fond of the classic Disney animated version. "Yeah, I know, it's just, 'Oh, this character's weird' and 'Oh, that character's weird.' I can't really recall a version where I felt really engaged by it. So that's the goal, just to try to give it a gravity that most film versions haven't had."

The Alice cast includes Mia Wasikowska as Alice, Johnny Depp as The Mad Hatter, Matt Lucas in the dual role of Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Anne Hathaway as the White Queen, and Burton's off-screen love Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Woot! I was wondering when somebody was gonna post something about this.

Any Burton/Depp/Bonham Carter grouping is okay in my book.

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Omygod!
    this sounds really cool!
    I've always loved alice and wonderland AND tim burton...it's so perfect!
    hahaha

thanks for making my night!

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Hmmm... has anybody seen Mia Wasikowska in anything?

(On IMDB she's credited with playing the title role in the film I Love Sarah Jane - I feel like I should look into that... )

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I heard about this recently and was super excited. Alice In Wonderland has always been my favorite Disney movie, and I'm anxious to see Tim Burton put his stamp on it.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'll see it. Adaptations of the Alice stories always interest me, and I like Burton enough to be curious about how he will present it. I do hope he's a little more faithful to the books than Disney was. Not to say the Disney version is "bad" but there was far too much amalgamation of characters (particularly the combination of the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts into one character) and stuff just left out.

We've already read the books to Ella.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Ooooooo, a darker Alice I hope ( is that possible to say) TB usually has a dark perception of charactures and events don't you think? I am looking forward to this one.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I am too, I can't wait to see it. Although, I pretty much get excited about any Tim Burton film.
    The only thing that bothers me is his constant casting of Helena, I'm just not a fan of hers, and since they've been together he's pretty much put her in every single thing he's done.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah, I think it's a rule of his to cast her in any movie he does.....along with Johnny Depp.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I love Alice in Wonderland. One of my favorite stories of all time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Yeah, I think it's a rule of his to cast her in any movie he does.....along with Johnny Depp.
    The only reason Johnny doesn't bother me is because I think he's an amazing actor. And I love every film the two of them have done.
    However there's just something about her that drives me crazy (and not in a good way).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Glover in Wonderland
    Back to the Future star to play Knave.
    by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, October 24, 2008 - Just when you thought Tim Burton's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland couldn't get any weirder, The Hollywood Reporter reveals that he has cast one of the industry's most eccentric actors to play the Knave of Hearts.

Crispin Glover, star of Back to the Future, Wild at Heart, Charlie's Angels and a classic David Letterman interview (see below) will play the Knave, who is put on trial for stealing the Queen of Hearts Tarts. Alice, who is played by Australian actress Mia Wasikowska, defends him in the trial.

Alice in Wonderland will also star Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter, and is currently being shot using a combination of live-action and performance-capture technology.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

That. Is Awesome. News.

Huzzah for Crispin Glover. He'll fit right in with that cast.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Crispin Glover huh? Interesting...in a good way.

I think Glover is PERFECT for a Burton version of Alice. He is certainly quirky, and I think he's an excellent actor. The article Feev posted mentioned his role in Wild at Heart and that is a great example of what Glover can do ("Im making my lunch!")

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

Default Tim Burton

I've been a fan of his ever since I saw Beetlejuice when it came out. I just love him, everything about his films. He is the one director whose films I always get on DVD. I have almost every bio book on him and buy the books on his films.

Any other Burton fans on here? Let's discuss his art, genius and beauty of his work.

I love Burton! One of my favorite directors. I love the dreamlike feel to his films. The imagery in them is one of things that I love the most.

Indeed, I feel the same way. I am so excited for his next two films to come out, Alice in Wonderland and the theatrical version of Frankenweenie.

Do you have a favorite film of his? It's hard to choose. I mean, I love every film he has done, some more than others, but I just love them all. If I had to choose my top favorites:

Ed Wood
    Edward Scissorhands
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Sleepy Hollow

Have you ever read Burton on Burton? Mark Salisbury edits it and it's a great look into Burton's life, a look that he himself wrote. Wonderful book, they update it every so often after new films have been released. I have three copies of it so far.

I love Tim Burton. I have enjoyed the vast majority of his films - except the two Batman films and Sleepy Hollow. Sleepy Hollow bored the hell out of me. It did look cool though, so credit to Tim for that. The rest of his films I have really enjoyed, particularly Ed Wood, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride and Edward Scissorhands. All excellent films.

I'm looking forward to Alice, that's for sure. I have high hopes for it and I think Burton will deliver.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow...we didn't have a Tim Burton thread until today?? That's crazy!

I adore Burton. The only film released so far, that I didn't particularly care for, was The Corpse Bride. Other than that, I love everything else.

Top 3:
    Beetlejuice
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Batman/ Batman Returns (sorry, had to fit 'em both in somehow.)

I too am excited for his take on Alice In Wonderland. Fingers crossed for awesomeness.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I love everything Burton. The Nightmare Before Christmas is my #2 favorite movie of all time... and I must say that I'm thrilled for the new 9 movie. The short is one of my favorite shorts EVER.

Burton is brilliant.

9 looks really good, can't wait to see that one.

I also really love Vincent, which is the short stop motion film he made while working for Disney, it was narrated by Vincent Price.

I like his Batman films, Batman is a pretty good comic book film, and Batman Returns is a great Tim Burton Batman film.

I love the look of Sleepy Hollow. That's one of the things I love about his films, each one is just beautiful to look at, they are just visually stunning. Add to that Danny Elfman's scores and you have a great feast for your eyes and ears.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosmic Geek View Post
    I love the look of Sleepy Hollow. That's one of the things I love about his films, each one is just beautiful to look at, they are just visually stunning. Add to that Danny Elfman's scores and you have a great feast for your eyes and ears.
    This is exactly what I love so much about him. He really creates these wonderful scenes, that really are visually beautiful. I could get lost just watching his films for this alone.

My favorites would probably be Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, The Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood. And of course Vincent! But honestly I've pretty much liked most of his films that I've seen. My least favorite would probably be the Batman ones.

I'm really looking forward to his upcoming films as well. I think he'll do a wonderful job with Alice. If someone's going to do a live action film of that story, Burton would be at the top of my list to do it.
    Is Frankenweenie going to be stop motion? I really love what he does with those films.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosmic Geek View Post
    Have you ever read Burton on Burton? Mark Salisbury edits it and it's a great look into Burton's life, a look that he himself wrote. Wonderful book, they update it every so often after new films have been released. I have three copies of it so far.
    No I haven't but that sounds really interesting. Does it go into depth about his films, or is it more about his life?

Burton on Burton goes in depth on both his life from childhood growing up in Burbank, through his time as an animator at Disney, and through his films. What is great is that the editor does a small blurb about things, and then Burton really tells his story, almost as if he is telling it directly to you. Also, his sketches are in it, so you get to see his great art style. I've read the book several times and plan to read it again soon, I like to read it every so often.

I think Alice is going to be great. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter is genius. I'm looking forward to seeing how they use all the different types of animation, both CGI as well as stop motion (I read that Alan Rickman is the Caterpillar in it and is a mix of animation styles, one of which is stop-motion).

Frankenweenie I believe is supposed to be stop motion. I haven't heard much about it lately since they are focusing more on Alice and I guess since it will take longer to do Frankenweenie than Alice, but it will be interesting to see how they flesh out the half hour story he oringally shot into a feature length film.

I'm glad to hear you too like Vincent. That short is so great, I just love Vincent in that. Also glad to hear you understand what I mean about the looks of his films. I'd love to be able to live in a Tim Burton world.

One thing I love so much about Ed Wood is that they didn't make this film insultingly about Wood. Yes, they covered his fetish of dressing up as a woman, but they respected him, his friends and films, which was nice. It's a great movie. Martin Landau was amazing as Bela Logusi, and the shooting of it in black and white made it perfect. I liked how they showed how Ed Wood really cared for Bela and was there for him and befriended him, much how Burton befriended Vincent Price.

OK, that was long, sorry everyone.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Tim Burton =
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast