0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Hopelessly poor, wish I hadn't read it

2 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: FIRST BOOK! To Kill A Mockingbird.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sad news - Director Robert Mulligan, who brought To Kill A Mockingbird to life on the screen, has passed away.

Robert Mulligan, a Hollywood director best known for the 1962 classic film “To Kill a Mockingbird,” died on Saturday at his home in Lyme, Conn. He was 83.

The cause was heart disease, his nephew Robert Rosenthal said.

Mr. Mulligan received an Academy Award nomination for the film, based on Harper Lee’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about rape, racism and injustice in the Depression-era South.

Rest In Peace.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing the news with us, my thoughts are with his friends & family.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

From a film-geek point of view, Robert Mulligan did an amazing job directing TKaM. He did an untouchable job casting Scout and Gem and then directed them perfectly.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I almost posted that story. Thanks, turtlex.

If only modern directors could cast and direct as well.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

1. How and when did you first come to read To Kill A Mockingbird?

I've never read it before, and between this thread and the "Big Read" list from the National Endowment for the Arts, I thought it's a book that I should read.
    After reading it, I believe I should have read it long ago.

2. Why does Atticus say that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?

A mockingbird does no harm, just lives it's life and adds songs to the environment. Killing a mockingbird is a sin because it is an act of cruelty and hate.

3. Why do you think that killing a mockingbird is the only thing in the entire book, in the children's entire lives, that Atticus condemns as a sin?

(see #2)

4. Who is your favorite minor character in the book?

Mrs. Dubose. She proves Atticus' point that we can never truly know another person, but can only understand and relate to them if we wear their skin for awhile.
    I considered her a hateful old bitty until I understood her torment, which I think was the root of her bitterness.

5. What are three memorable moments in the book?

1-Scout inviting the Cunningham boy to lunch.
    2-The children disbanding the mob with their appearance at the jail.
    3-"Hey, Boo."

6. What is the most touching moment of the book?

Dill's tears at the trial, and Mr. Raymond's lament that only children cry over such behavior.

7. What is the most shocking moment of the book?

Mr. Heck Tate taking up for Boo Radley and standing up to Atticus. It was quite a battle of wills.

1.Do you think that Jem & Scout would have recieved as warm a reception at Calpurnia's church if Atticus had not been defending Tom Robinson? Why/why not?

I dont believe their reception would have been quite as warm, but I believe they would have been tolerated there. Atticus is well known as a reasonable and honest man ; as Miss Maudie explained, he is the same in public as at home. Not all the townsfolk are as fair and forthright as Atticus, and the reasonable folks of both races knew it.

2. What was your reaction to Lula and her comments to Cal upon their arrival at the church?

To me this scene showed that there are racists and hypocrites in all races. A good point to be made.

3. How do you feel about the discussion between Jem & Scout and Calpuria about her use of "nigger talk" at church and how she "shouldn't" speak that way sicne she "knows better"?

This passage had some personal meaning to me. I took classes with a black girl whose father was a teacher. She shared a story with us before class on how her father took a lot of crap from neighborhood folks about how he talks 'white' on the job and 'nigger' at home. His response to the neighbors was quite similar to Cal's response to Scout. Reading the passage in the book brought a cold chill as I thought about how far race relations have come (in general) since the 30's and yet how little things have changed in many specific small minds.

John F. Kennedy ConstanToweReader is on a distinguished road

1. How and when did you first come to read To Kill A Mockingbird?

I was 11 or 12 when I read it the first time. I don't even remember where I got that first copy of the book. I've read it many times through the years and love the film based on it. I picked up a copy of the book the other day.

2. Why does Atticus say that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?
    Because the mockingbird hurts no one.

3. Why do you think that killing a mockingbird is the only thing in the entire book, in the children's entire lives, that Atticus condemns as a sin?
    I don't think he has to "condemn things as a sin" for the children to know they are wrong, he parents by love and example. His life is an example to them of how others should be treated, how you should stand up for what you believe in and of how to live.

4. Who is your favorite minor character in the book?
    The little boy Scout fought with and then came to eat dinner. I felt sorry for him.

5. What are three memorable moments in the book?
    I think there are more than 3. When Atticus is leaving the court room and the crowd stands as he passes, the scene on the jailhouse steps when Scout names the people, when Jem finds his pants that were caught on the fence.

6. What is the most touching moment of the book?

Boo standing in the corner of the room watching over Jem and Scout looks at him and says hi.

7. What is the most shocking moment of the book

When Tom is shot.

1.Do you think that Jem & Scout would have recieved as warm a reception at Calpurnia's church if Atticus had not been defending Tom Robinson? Why/why not?

I don't think they did receive a warm welcome, people were asking Cal why she brought them. I think the people of the town respected Atticus as a fair, honest man but that didn't make them social "equals".

2. What was your reaction to Lula and her comments to Cal upon their arrival at the church? Whites don't have a monoply on stupidity or prejudice.

3. How do you feel about the discussion between Jem & Scout and Calpuria about her use of "nigger talk" at church and how she "shouldn't" speak that way sicne she "knows better"?
    **please excuse the use of the word "nigger" I am only attempting to use it in context of the book, and hope that it is seen that way in our forum**
    I don't think you can base their conversation of that period of time on what is correct today. I live in the south so hear all kinds of ways of speaking. I think anyone who wants to appear educated needs to speak properly and not use slang all the time. I'm not saying anyone's way of speaking is wrong but it is what gives people an impression of someone.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ConstanToweReader: you were absolutely right in presuming that every book ever discussed in the Book Club is always here for further discussion and voting, whether or not it is the "current" book! Thank you for posting.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

ConstanToweReader, you express my thoughts and feelings about this book perfectly. Well done!

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a bit late rereading this, but I've just been reminded how good this book is at breaking my heart.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7