0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Hopelessly poor, wish I hadn't read it

2 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: FIRST BOOK! To Kill A Mockingbird.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

NEW QUESTIONS ADDED! PLEASE REFER TO THE FIRST POST!! THANKS!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    this discussion is fascinating!!

Very good showing on the first book club read you guys.

I believe Atticus was a Gunslinger personally. In every way that ever mattered.
    wow. that is incredibly insightful matt. i never thought of it that way, but now i am rethinking that entire scene with the mad dog and atticus' actions during it. he almost becomes another person, the way he casually drops his glasses to the ground and doesn't even notice when he steps on them. the way he appears to settle into the shotgun like he had never stopped shooting. the way he doesn't miss, even from that distance.

excellent observation, now i'm going to have to reread that part with this in mind.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    this discussion is fascinating!!

Very good showing on the first book club read you guys.

I believe Atticus was a Gunslinger personally. In every way that ever mattered.
    Oh, Matt, that is so perfect. Atticus is a Gunslinger. Without a doubt.

Because of the way that Boo protects Scout and Gem, he's part of the Ka-Tet as well. He's a Gunslinger, too, I feel.

Awesome insight.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished to kill a mockingbird and i've got to say its one of the best none
    stephen king books i've read.I would'nt have picked this book up if not for
    being picked as the first book of the bookclub.
    I had'nt a clue what the book was about 2weeks back,for some reason i had
    the image it was one of those books that took about 2 or 3 pages to tell you
    that a storm is moving in when it could just have told you one mother of a
    storm is aprochin.
    Fantastic book,just wondering what book 2 might be.

we don't know yet but we'd love to hear your ideas on some of the questions that are posted in the first posting of this thread. . . .

(i know, i'm not very subtle am i? )

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No problem turtlesong i'll get around to the questions,i jumped the gun there
    just wanted to say how good the book was.Give me awhile to go over the
    questions i'll get there.

no. i jumped the gun. just love that :: peerpressure :: though.

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

T/song is one to criticize whence she has not yet answered the new questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    T/song is one to criticize whence she has not yet answered the new questions...

hey! i wasn't criticizing i was encouraging. now shutup and go bake me some muffins!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by 3 DOORS DOWN View Post
    Just finished to kill a mockingbird and i've got to say its one of the best none
    stephen king books i've read.I would'nt have picked this book up if not for
    being picked as the first book of the bookclub.
    I had'nt a clue what the book was about 2weeks back,for some reason i had
    the image it was one of those books that took about 2 or 3 pages to tell you
    that a storm is moving in when it could just have told you one mother of a
    storm is aprochin.
    Fantastic book,just wondering what book 2 might be.
    That's what a book club is for!
    I'm so pleased you've enjoyed it.
    It's one of my all time favorites. Scout, Jem, Dill and Atticus - they're part of you now, just like the rest of us.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1.Do you think that Jem & Scout would have recieved as warm a reception at Calpurnia's church if Atticus had not been defending Tom Robinson? Why/why not?
    Hmmm... that is a good question. I think they would have. From what I understand most black people then were sort of afraid of white folks, be they children or adult. So the reception would have been friendly even if it were fake. But seeing as how Jem and Scout were not actually bad kids I don't see why anyone would have been bothered by them being there.. unless of course they were people like Lula.

2. What was your reaction to Lula and her comments to Cal upon their arrival at the church?
    I literally scrunched my nose up and made a face. it was truly a disgusting thing to do whether or not Atticus was helping Tom Robinson. I can understand why she was so mean, but that doesn't make it right in the least.

3. How do you feel about the discussion between Jem & Scout and Calpuria about her use of "nigger talk" at church and how she "shouldn't" speak that way since she "knows better"?

I thought it was actually an important part of the story. Just another example of Jem and Scout learning that right and wrong isn't black and white, there is a gray area and it can sometimes be ok to do the "wrong" thing in others' eyes if it is helpful to someone (ie, not offending the church goers with her "bougie speak" lol)

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

New answers coming soon.

I did want to point out that while Atticus treats them like adults, he does not lose sight of the fact that they are kids. He just has a difficult time relating to them as children. However, as he respects them as people, that goes a long way toward mitigating his treatment of them as mini-adults.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Country
    Country Flag

1,Do you think jem+scout would have recieved as warm a reception at calpurnias church if atticus had not been defending tom robinson.

It depends on what other issues were in the area at the time,but overall i think there would be a mixed reaction at any time.Not all negros hated white people and not all white people hated negros.

2,What was your reaction to lula and her comments to cal upon thier arrival at the church.

I Can understand lulas reaction,would she have been allowed into a white peoples church.

3,How do you feel about the discussion between jem+scout and calpurnia about her use of nigger talk at church.

Calpurnia would have picked up on that type of talk when young,it was second nature to talk that way around black people,but she wanted lula to know she was not messin.

4,What is your best minor character

I know, not a minor character but its got to be scout.

Country
    Country Flag

5, What are three memorable moments in the book.

1,The night time visit behind the radley house.

2,Scout dressed as a joint of ham.

3,The court room outcome for tom robinson.

6,Most touching moment in the book.

I don't think there is just one,the book is full of them.

7,The most shocking moment in the book.

When tom robinson was shot.He had seventeen bullet holes in him,they did'nt have to shoot him that much says atticus.

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 3 DOORS DOWN View Post

2,What was your reaction to lula and her comments to cal upon thier arrival at the church.

I Can understand lulas reaction,would she have been allowed into a white peoples church.
    This is a great observation! I hadn't thought of it this way. My first impression was that Lula was just trying to start a little trouble because she felt maybe Cal was being too "nice" to her "employers". In reality though, I think your comment holds more credence. It would be relatively difficult for most people to accept someone into their personal space (home, church, etc) if they knew the same courtesy would not be extended to them.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Overheard in a bookstore:

Young man: Dad, does it really tell you how to?

Father: How to what, son?

Young man: How to kill a mockingbird?

(Paraphrased from Reader's Digest)

John

The Doctor's Daughter Mist_on_the_Water is on a distinguished road Mist_on_the_Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ROTFLMBO!

Unofficial Doctor Who Obsessor Club Created by IR:
    IR
    Razz
    Woofer
    Ves'Ka Gan

I can haz fourum gamz
    Sing Your Heart Out!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Look forward to it. Have never read this Title.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Duh, I'm a tard. This is the old book. I will catch up with the next one. Still have to read this though.

My Mood
    Gay

BC - There's still time. Depending on how fast you read!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Jesus I haven't even participated in this yet! well i have all day today, so I'll try to answer a few questions.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

How and when did you first come to read To Kill A Mockingbird?

I was in grade school when i first read this book. When i read it, it was for a school assignment and i was not to happy about it. when i finished with the book i was really surprised that i actually liked the book. but at the same time i was raised in a mixed race family and i did not understand the reasons for the racial slurs and happenings going on in the book. it was my lack of human experience as a child raised in a world of multiple races that got me wondering why people would do things like that or say things of that nature. i actually had to ask my mother about the dreaded "n" word as it was called in my household at the time...i heard it enough from my step dad (black)and brothers-in-law(also black) so much that i didn't know it was something a white child should not say at all. so i asked my mother what the word meant and she told me what it meant and i never have said the word again in my life to this day...i like to think that this book brought me closer to my extended family than anything else did and why i am offended by people of the same race as i am (white/hispanic) using that type of language or any kind of derogatory statement against any race.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Jesus I haven't even participated in this yet! well i have all day today, so I'll try to answer a few questions.

and we're still waiting!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    i like to think that this book brought me closer to my extended family than anything else did and why i am offended by people of the same race as i am (white/hispanic) using that type of language or any kind of derogatory statement against any race.
    I think it is very important to know one's history - as well as any other history, of course. I mean, you can freely choose to forgive and forget, but if one just doesn't happen to know facts of the past, he is a slave to that past.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have answered only the first question so far, will try to answer as many more as I can now

2. Why does Atticus say that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?

I agree with all who said it was because killing a mockingbird is a perfect sin, without any hope for justification (like, stealing could be justified by hunger, murder by revenge etc).

3. Why do you think that killing a mockingbird is the only thing in the entire book, in the children's entire lives, that Atticus condemns as a sin?

Atticus seemed to me a deeply religious person, unlike those ostentatiously religious that abound in traditionally religious countries; if he only once used the word "sin" it's also because he didn't want to devaluate it. It's not a word to babble every time you don't like something, you see, it's a strong enough word to be reserved for a very special case - where it would work. No wonder Scout and Jem remembered that he said that.

4. Who is your favorite minor character in the book?

Miss Maudie - if she can be considered minor at all. I agree with everything Lady Lion said about her.

I agree, though, that there's no minor characters there. Choosing among those who were given least space, I would pick Mr.Underwood, with his shotgun.

5. What are three memorable moments in the book?

As I have known the book by heart since I was only a tiny cub, it's impossible to separate only three moments... Here are the three that come to mind immediately:

1. Cunningham saying, "I'll tell him you said hey, little lady".
    2. The game with the tyre, when she heard somebody laugh in the house.
    3. "Hey, Boo", I said.

6. What is the most touching moment of the book?

ALL OF IT

Here's when I cried - I don't think I would if I reread it in Russian (knew the text too well), but the English words looked new, so it struck me as if first seen:

Summer, and he watched his children's heart break. Autumn again, and Boo's children needed him.

7. What is the most shocking moment of the book?

The verdict, although it couldn't be otherwise. Remember Atticus saying that the jury taking so long to decide was already a step forward? Well, historically a very short time has passed, and you have a black President. It shows mankind has hope, after all.

8. Do you think that Jem & Scout would have recieved as warm a reception at Calpurnia's church if Atticus had not been defending Tom Robinson? Why/why not?

I am not sure. I am afraid not.

9. What was your reaction to Lula and her comments to Cal upon their arrival at the church?

I didn't understand it the first times I read it, I just took it for granted. I understood it better when I was older and knew more.

10. How do you feel about the discussion between Jem & Scout and Calpuria about her use of "nigger talk" at church and how she "shouldn't" speak that way since she "knows better"?

I admire her wisdom, here and in whatever else she did or said.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast