Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any one a Frank Herbert fan? Dune?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

By "classic sci fi" do you mean cheap, badly planned, and completely inconsistent with the works its based on? Yeah...I read Butlerian Jihad...and I wish to god that I hadn't. As far as I'm concerned there's only six Dune books...maybe seven if you count the Dune Encyclopedia (which I think is a hell of a lot closer to Dune canon than anything put out by Herbert's kid and Kevin Anderson. To me, classic sci fi is the orginal Dune, Asimov's Foundation, and Well's War of the Worlds.

That said, I concede that there are some decent parts. I did enjoy the parts that dealt with the Fremen quite a bit. In fact, the Fremen parts are the only sections of BJ that I consider worthy. I wish they could make a book with only those parts in it. There's just enough there for a decent novel. I also enjoyed the character of Erasmus but not enough to like how machines were used in the story. Pretty much all else was poop. The events of the Battle of Corrin particularly pissed me off. It was like the cherry on top of the pie. Only in this case it was cowpie.

Yes...I'm a rabid Talifan.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I've read em all just because I'm a Dune Junkie!

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Which are you more a Dune Junkie or a Tower Junkie?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by childeluke View Post
    Love dune...LOVE. I finished the new one this summer. Cant' wait for Paul of Dune. Brian Herbert does a decent job...but i haven't read his House books yet.
    *cringes...rolls around on the floor, biting his tongue...begins to foam at the mouth and shake uncontrollably*
    But Cozener do you like his writing?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dune Encyclopedia is awesome, ive fucking lent it to someone and cant remember who! At times its useful as the series can get a little complex, and I find the motivations for many of the characters a little alien.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    The Dune Encyclopedia is awesome, ive fucking lent it to someone and cant remember who! At times its useful as the series can get a little complex, and I find the motivations for many of the characters a little alien.
    That was me and you're not getting it back so you might as well just forget about it.

Country
    Country Flag

Thats ok, my sweet prince.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Which are you more a Dune Junkie or a Tower Junkie?
    Tower Junkie, mainly because no one ruined the story line like Dune.

Country
    Country Flag

Just think of it as "requires many repeats of reading"

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone is interested I have the Dune Encyclopedia on a pdf.

My Mood
    Amused

hmmmm....I'm interested. Except all of it is usually in the back of the books. Except the crap that Brian Herbert and KJA made up

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

There's yet another film in the works now.
    Peter Berg is set to direct, no script has been started yet. They have a list of writers they want to talk to after the strike ends.

Do we need another film version of Dune? I really don't mind the mini-series or the original film version. It would have to be at least 3 hours long to even come close to covering much of the story.

God no. Please. I've seen the original, and the Sci-Fi channel remake and the remake of the original. They were all awful, the original being the worst. Give it up folks. Just enjoy the books!

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

If they want to make another Dune movie, great. Who knows? It might end up being great.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah...I read Butlerian Jihad...and I wish to god that I hadn't.

... The events of the Battle of Corrin particularly pissed me off. It was like the cherry on top of the pie. Only in this case it was cowpie.

Yes...I'm a rabid Talifan.
    two questions for ya Cozener.

(1) If you hate Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson why did you read Butlerian Jihad in the first place? I am sure your mind was made up way before that during the "House of " series!

(2) and then you talk of being pissed at the events of The Battle of Corrin! If you hated the writing so much why did you invest so much time and read the Jihad trilogy if you knew you hated it after the first one? Or did you not read the new books and just state they are crap based on the little bit you did read

I am not trying to rag on anyone. I know fully well there are two camps - those that hate all but the original six, and those that don't. I just don't get it if you hate it so much (and your words suggest so) then why bother reading all of the newer stuff anyway?
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Amused

I'll tell you this, I hate everything Brian and KJA had to do with Dune. They ruined the story. And I'll tell you why I read all the books. First, curiosity. Second, because they were so mindless I read each book in about a week time period, and as far as reading goes, I do not consider that invested time. I was bored anyway and had nothing to do. So I don't know what cozener's response is going to be, but that's my excuse!

OH OH OH Dune movie!! See, I actually like both versions. I mean you really have to take in consideration that the first one was made in 1984, and Lynch is the one who directed (with Frank Herbert on the set and always being in the "in") and it got pretty much ruined by the editing department. the 1984 version did the best job on the spice aspect. The sci-fi, version did the best job on relating the story, because it was longer. And they came out with Children of Dune which continued the stories, which was from the books Dune Messiah and Children of Dune I believe. Neither one was GREAT by any means, but come on, not every Stephen King movie was GREAT either.

problem is, fans. If there are not enough fans, money will not be invested in the project. And now, worst of all, Brian and KJA will probably be apart of it.

If they want to make another Dune movie, great. Who knows? It might end up being great.
    Two attempts and a remake of the first attempt and they all suck harder than you did on your first boyfriend's cock, Cozener. Obviously, no one wants to really put the time and money behind getting it right, so they should stop trying.

My Mood
    Amused

That's how I see it. there's never going to be a great Dune movie. No one wants to back it.
    But you just don't understand the 84 version...just have to be in the right mind state, kinda like watching wizard of oz and listening to Pink Floyd.

Was the remake of the original, closer to what Lynch had in mind? Because I watched about 25 minutes of it before I took it back to the store.

My Mood
    Amused

heh...I'm not sure. I know they added that story board at the beginning. But I don't think that's how Lynch wanted it either.

Country
    Country Flag

I downloaded the sci-fi channel mini series.

Waste of 3 fucking gigs. There should be a huge warning before it starts:

WARNING: ENTIRE MINI SERIES SHOT ON REALLY SHITHOUSE SETS USING REALLY SHITHOUSE LIGHTING AND COSTUMES MADE BY THE MUMS OF THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL. PAUL ATREIDES CAST INCREDIBLY POORLY. TALENTED ACTORS SUCH AS WILLIAM HURT MAKE NO DIFFERENCE TO OVERALL EFFECT (RAY OF CRAP). FUNDS AND TIME ALLOCATED FOR ADAPTING TO SCREEN: $4.25 AND 9 MINUTES. DIRECTOR HAD ALL IMAGINATION AND TALENT SUCKED OUT OF ASSHOLE BEFORE FILMING. VIEW AT OWN RISK.

I cannot even fathom why they would even bother doing Children of Dune after the entire suckfest that was the mini series. I know it was probably supposed to be low key but even the things they could have nailed they didnt. Or was it a recording of a stage play? Thats a serious question

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Two attempts and a remake of the first attempt and they all suck harder than you did on your first boyfriend's cock, Cozener. Obviously, no one wants to really put the time and money behind getting it right, so they should stop trying.

I know what you mean. Its such a shame that so many people have fucked such a brilliant book up its ass.

But I'll still wait for the trailer and if it indicates that they're actually paying real actors with real talent and have real writers who can actually put a screenplay together that doesn't make me want to shank my nuts I'll be interested to see it.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I actually enjoy both the 1984 movie and the two miniseries, because I have come to terms with the fact that Hollywood will never get a book to movie concept right. That's why they call them "adaptations," so that they hjave the room to change what they feel needs to be changed. Now I try to watch stuff for the merit of the film itself. In taht regard, I have enjoyed them all. *shrug*
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

I liked the movie better than the mini series, probably because of the adaptations.

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I actually enjoy both the 1984 movie and the two miniseries, because I have come to terms with the fact that Hollywood will never get a book to movie concept right. That's why they call them "adaptations," so that they hjave the room to change what they feel needs to be changed. Now I try to watch stuff for the merit of the film itself. In taht regard, I have enjoyed them all. *shrug*
    I keep telling myself your are my long lost twim!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast