Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any one a Frank Herbert fan? Dune?

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Oh, I whole heartedly agree with. I've been reading Brian's books, well, just because. I never noticed the heart plug thing, very interesting he'd throw that in there. I think Frank is turns in his grave everytime one of Brian and and KJA's books come out. Some of us think that Brian isn't actually doing anything and it's all Kevin's ideas.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I am an audio book fan and I was wondering is the Dune series on audio? Not a big, hard-core Dune fan like I am a Tower Junkie, but I do love the books. My favorites of the series being Dune and God Emperor of Dune.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Very good. I like Dune and Dune Messiah. Well, I like all the ones Frank wrote, but the first 2 always stand out in my mind. The teachings of Muad'Dib are the key to the spice and to the Fremen.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Very good. I like Dune and Dune Messiah. Well, I like all the ones Frank wrote, but the first 2 always stand out in my mind. The teachings of Muad'Dib are the key to the spice and to the Fremen.
    Ummm there was a question in there too

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King:Yesterday 06:48 PM
    I am an audio book fan and I was wondering is the Dune series on audio?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Yep, there are. I just checked demonoid.com for dune audio books and there are a bunch of torrents up there.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Along the Path of the Beam parsnip is on a distinguished road parsnip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I whole heartedly agree with. I've been reading Brian's books, well, just because. I never noticed the heart plug thing, very interesting he'd throw that in there. I think Frank is turns in his grave everytime one of Brian and and KJA's books come out. Some of us think that Brian isn't actually doing anything and it's all Kevin's ideas.

I always attributed the parts that were well written to KJA. Anything I thought sucked was like, "yup that must have been Brian's" in my head. Yeah... I think I may be more than a little biased at this point.

And Dune is most definitely available in audio format. I am also fairly certain that most larger bookstores carry it on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Yep, there are. I just checked demonoid.com for dune audio books and there are a bunch of torrents up there.

Did you happen to notice whether they were abridged or not? Also, has anyone listened to them and if so what they thought of the reader?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

A number of them appear to be unabridged.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Amused

Sorry CK, I've never listened to any of them.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read and enjoyed all of FH Dune books, but haven't read anything written by BH/KJA. (I did get 2 of them in the bargain bin at B&N).

I've read several other books written by KJA and am horrified that he would be allowed anywhere near the Dune universe. The man is the most pathetic hack to have ever received a writing contract. His lame, formulaic plots and characters are complete opposites of everything FH's Dune books are. BH might has well have paired up with a first grader to write more books.

On a side note, I picked up several of FH's other books a library sale yesterday. Has anyone read any of his other work?

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by parsnip View Post
    I am a big fan of the original Frank Herbert Dune series. Fantastic, deeply beautiful, and insightful works, imo.

I gave up on the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson books a while back. I thought they were interesting enough, but not nearly as well written as the originals. And I have some personal opinions about how Brian has handled having the rights to his father's notes. I've been frustrated for years that he won't allow a reprinting of the Dune Encyclopedia because it wasn't something Frank Herbert wrote. And his afterwords in the books just struck me as somewhat spoiled and childish. As if being Franks son made him the BIG expert on Dune and he was doing all us readers a favor by writing the new books. He seems to claim to be a Dune purist, wanting to preserve his father's works and ideas, but in his books he inserts pieces from the original movie that never appeared in his father's books (such as the heart plug). Maybe I'm just biased against Brian, but the new books that I did read left me rather disappointed.

Hrm, i've read some Kevin Anderson and its pretty light and simplistic writing - I don't see how that style could do the Dune universe justice, really. Its like Dean Koonts compared to Stephen King.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I've read and enjoyed all of FH Dune books, but haven't read anything written by BH/KJA. (I did get 2 of them in the bargain bin at B&N).

I've read several other books written by KJA and am horrified that he would be allowed anywhere near the Dune universe. The man is the most pathetic hack to have ever received a writing contract. His lame, formulaic plots and characters are complete opposites of everything FH's Dune books are. BH might has well have paired up with a first grader to write more books.

On a side note, I picked up several of FH's other books a library sale yesterday. Has anyone read any of his other work?
    Yes, I agree with you about the KJA stuff.

I think they should have just left the Dune universe alone, i mean the 6 book series was complete.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually love all the Dune books. I was hooked on Dune once I read the first book.

There appears to be two groups of Dune fans - those that love the Frank Herbert books and hate the Bryan Herbert/Kevin J Anderson books; and htose that like them all. I fall into thte latter category.

I have been to signings/readings with both Bryan Herbert and KJ Anderson present adn I truly belive that they each wrote their separate parts - Anderson handles the more hard core SciFi parts, the great battles, etc, and Brian H ahndles the parts that focus on theology, philospphy, ecology, ...

I think they work well together and I truly have enjoyed all 14 books. There are actually three more coming to fill in some of the gaps in time during the Paul Atreides / Irulan lifetime!

I loved the original Dune movie (with Sting) but probalby becasue I had read Dune a half dozen times. In two hours lynch had to cut so much of the story that movie goers (who had not read Dune) were totally lost as to what what really going on! I enjoyed the directors cut of Dune and Children of Dune (Sci Fi Channel) immensely!

A curious tale of Dune - Frank Herbert shopped his novel to all the big publishers of the tiem and was rejected over and again! Finally a comnpany called Chilton bought and published Dune, which has since become the best selling SciFi novel of all time. Dune has redefined how scifi is written and for good reason. Frank Herbert was a genius! The funny thing about this story - Chilton is best known for publishing automotive maintenance manuals! If you ever come across a first edition Dune (not the book club edition) hang onto it tight - it will be worth a small fortune!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

I am a complete nerd for this series. the Herbert ones, not his son and that other guy.

Frank Herbert's writing could never be duplicated. I read House Atreides and it was ....OK, but i didn't care to read any after that. It felt hollow and forced.

God Emperor of Dune is maybe the best. And even though it's hard for me to leave the Atreides years, I love Heretics and Chapterhouse. The Honored Matres were some serious muthers. Miles Teg is my hero, and Duncan Idaho is my best friend.

I look forward to Sandworms, but I'm a little nervous.

Country
    Country Flag

Mike: yeah, i loved the last 2 aswell, the plots of the bene gesserit and the honoured matres were vicious

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    I am a complete nerd for this series. the Herbert ones, not his son and that other guy.

Frank Herbert's writing could never be duplicated. I read House Atreides and it was ....OK, but i didn't care to read any after that. It felt hollow and forced.

God Emperor of Dune is maybe the best. And even though it's hard for me to leave the Atreides years, I love Heretics and Chapterhouse. The Honored Matres were some serious muthers. Miles Teg is my hero, and Duncan Idaho is my best friend.

Dude like I said I'll send you Sandworms for free! Wait to you find out who the ultimate KH is.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Dude like I said I'll send you Sandworms for free! Wait to you find out who the ultimate KH is.
    The ultimate KH!

Yep that totally caught me off guard - wasn't even on my radar screen! But gee does it ever make senses or what!

The actions of Serena Butler's nemesis also caught me unaware! Just loved it though!

Spoiler:

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I cry your pardon if this topic has already been posted.

Dune is one of my top favorite books. I really like the story and how it continued. However, I think his son (Brian Herbert) and Kevin J. Anderson are making the new books ruint!

Anyone else?
    Oh don't get me started. DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!

Ah shit. I'm already started.

Kevin and Brian suck. They suck like nothing has ever sucked before. As I've stated over at Arrakeen, the only good thats come from these two assholes' "work" is that their dragging the Duniverse down into the depths of mediocrity has assured that Frank Herbert's fear that people will begin to see Dune as some kind of religion will never be realized.

Otherwise, fuck those hacks! Fuck 'em Fuck 'em FUCK 'EM!

...and with no lube.

*pants*

So there.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Gee I hope you feel better now!

Spoiler:

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, Cozener has certainly added some animation. I hope his common sense and good taste won't let him misuse those expressive linguistic means.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is awesome. Just absolutely brilliant. I LOVE A GOOD RANT! Wow, what form. What style. If I can just get past all the f bombs, what you are saying is that the majority of people who are not familiar with Frank Herbert see him as the new L. Ron Hubbard?

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post

The ultimate KH!

Yep that totally caught me off guard - wasn't even on my radar screen! But gee does it ever make senses or what!

The actions of Serena Butler's nemesis also caught me unaware! Just loved it though!
    It made sense when Frank was alive and before Brian and KJA got ahold of the story. I love all the books done by Frank from Dune to Chapterhouse (however Chapterhouse is when I felt like things started to change). All the pre-story line books that Brian wrote, didn't make any sense and it seems like he was fishing for his dads idea. Hunters and Sandworms suck! I know that some of the story line is kind of alright, but for anyone that has finished this series (meaning Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune) the ending is a complete waste of the original work. I don't even know how to describe it except, yes, there was a twist at the end, but then Brian and KJA tried to make the happiest ending ever made in writing. Way beyond "living happily ever after"! I really expected something different. that's my 2 cents.

PS: Mike, Miles Teg was an Atreides whore who was manipulated by the Bene Gesserit. Duncan is awesome however!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Skolpadda View Post
    what you are saying is that the majority of people who are not familiar with Frank Herbert see him as the new L. Ron Hubbard?
    Lol. I suppose that was what he was afraid of...or something like it.

My Mood
    Amused

I'm going to start a new religion, and we are going to use are woman to produce clones of ourselves and live forever.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to start a new religion, and we are going to use are woman to produce clones of ourselves and live forever.
    Dunenetics?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast