Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And that's why they're dirt cheap.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

True. That's why I didn't run back to B&N to complain. You get what you pay for.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'm driving to the next town over to get this on Saturday. They're holding it for me. Rah!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is a pretty cool-looking comic being released very soon, based on Lovecraft himself and his fiction:

http://www.lovecraftcomic.com/trailer.php

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Lovecraft and dear Cthulu
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

::nods approvingly:: yep, I have so very little knowledge on this subject
    I could learn a lot from a thread such as this....I believe I will go read it then!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You've never read Lovecraft, Linda? You must.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

OK, read the thread, now I will go get this book, and read it too.
    I admit I have not read all HP Lovecraft's works, so it will now
    be a cinch to do so, then I may even feel somewhat qualified to
    join in any discussion that may ensue here....

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Lovecraft is an absolute must read, Linda.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    In Love

I believe that many years ago, I began his stories, and let them fall away.
    I couldn't tell you why at this point, I think I have read one or two, I now
    will buy the book in question in that thread and try again.I do not even have a book
    in the works right now (shockingly disappointing I know) my life is in need of a good book!

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am reading a couple Lovecraft anthologies now...not exclusively Lovecraft, but many of his contemporaries and those who've since decided to take on the Cthulu Mythos..

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have that massive book, but have yet to start it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You must, you must, you must. I have seperate volumes which are far less daunting and intimidating.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll probably read it simultaneously with other books. That way I can do it a bit at a time.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's usually how I do short story collections/anthologies too.

If you rescue me

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

PLEASE EVERYBODY READ LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!! He is one of the finest, subtlest, most accomplished, and at the same time most powerful and imaginative authors that have ever written!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    In Love

I am searching my library, and cant find any, perhaps I had borrowed what I quite remember reading before! I simply must read some , now where to find some now?

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    PLEASE EVERYBODY READ LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!! He is one of the finest, subtlest, most accomplished, and at the same time most powerful and imaginative authors that have ever written!

qft

Have you met his contemporaries yet, Jean? The other writers who wrote for weird tales and such who contributed to the Cthulu Mythos (which Lovecraft encouraged).

If you rescue me

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't recall that I have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft. I would not know where to start.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only read one of his stories, it was along time ago and was something to do with people worshipping some weird god type thing in a city...reminded me of Lud when I read DT for the first time.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'll have to watch the trailer after Mr. Woofer wakes.

I second Brice's declaration that good old HPL is a must-read.

I got my book last weekend and found a complete EAP to boot. The EAP has the coolest fucking cover. Join me in drooling over this:

The back is completely covered in the rivulets of blood, with a raven in the bottom right corner.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I'll have to watch the trailer after Mr. Woofer wakes.

I second Brice's declaration that good old HPL is a must-read.

I got my book last weekend and found a complete EAP to boot. The EAP has the coolest fucking cover. Join me in drooling over this:

The back is completely covered in the rivulets of blood, with a raven in the bottom right corner.
    Yours is nicer than my Poe though mine has the different text.

If you rescue me

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

qft

Have you met his contemporaries yet, Jean? The other writers who wrote for weird tales and such who contributed to the Cthulu Mythos (which Lovecraft encouraged).

I read at least a couple of stories that now as I look at them seem absolutely Lovecraftian, but I don't remember the authors. Who could they be?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

qft

I read at least a couple of stories that now as I look at them seem absolutely Lovecraftian, but I don't remember the authors. Who could they be?
    Well, HPL's influence is so extensive on modern horror they really could be any of many authors. I'll compile a list for you though.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I don't recall that I have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft. I would not know where to start.
    Well, the book at the beginning at this thread is all you need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast