Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Gunslinger: Chapter 2, The Way Station

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    Ok, I can understand the need to want to run go tell Daddy. But they knew this would mean instant death for the cook. Why didn't they think to ask the cook about it first? They obviously didn't fear him, so maybe a nice long sit down with some homemade pie and good ol' conversation is due before jumping the gun.
    You don't believe that Hax would have attempted to kill Bert and Roland to quiet them? To make sure he wasn't found out? In a gunslinger's mind, I imagine, a traitor didn't deserve a chance to say his side of the story.

One more thing, when Roland asked his dad if they would try to take down Farson, Steven said "nah".

This whole part kinda reminds me of our current war on terror. We are going for the cronies, the pawns, but letting the major players walk away. Why.

Why didn't the gunslingers of old want to immediately take on Farson? Why wait?

It doesn't make sense.
    I guess I didn't see it this way. I don't believe Steven was being up front with Roland. He isn't a gunslinger so I don't think Steven would let him in on their plans.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thank you sarajean for going on with that, I've been looking forward to your compendium!

as to Hax problem, I'm afraid I can't say anything again, not having read the Revised... in the Original it seemed quite clear to me, though; the kids were brought up in the frontier / besieged fortress spirit. They would have reported their own mothers (something very close to that is about to happen, too) for the sake of the White.

Being a good man who loves children and being a traitor don't seem mutually exclusive sides of characters to me, either.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Somehow I feel the whole Hax thing was the first big step for Roland to his manhood.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely so. That's why it takes such a prominent place in The Gunslinger (at least the Original)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is the same way in the revised Jean. The feeling of the scene did not change a bit. The only changes to that particular part were small word/name changes and such.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well it kinda pissed me off, but I understand why it was written and done. There is no gray for Roland. It's all just a simple black and white world. Allow yourself to see beyond that mindset and you probably wouldn't make a good gunslinger....I know I would suck at it.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

Well it kinda pissed me off, but I understand why it was written and done. There is no gray for Roland. It's all just a simple black and white world. Allow yourself to see beyond that mindset and you probably wouldn't make a good gunslinger....I know I would suck at it.
    Dear friend, all theory is gray,
    And green the golden tree of life.

-Mephistopheles

I'm sure it's been covered here, but, I think Roland felt betrayed by Hax, perhaps even felt used (knowing that Roland was Steven's son, Hax may have felt by getting close to Roland he could find out even more information).
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    Dear friend, all theory is gray,
    And green the golden tree of life.

-Mephistopheles

I'm sure it's been covered here, but, I think Roland felt betrayed by Hax, perhaps even felt used (knowing that Roland was Steven's son, Hax may have felt by getting close to Roland he could find out even more information).
    Wow. Yes. Very good points.
    Felt used... I have never thought of that before but it can be so true.
    Thank you.

Roland would have understood.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the Hax incident is Roland's fist decicion that results in the death of somone close to him. The first of many, but it shows that Roland will do what he thinks he must, even if his decision has grave results.

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think the Hax incident is Roland's fist decicion that results in the death of somone close to him. The first of many, but it shows that Roland will do what he thinks he must, even if his decision has grave results.
    Interesting.
    That leads me to think that King was using a bit of foreshadowing with the Hax situation.

Hangman, hangman, hold it a little while,
    Think I see my friends coming, riding a many mile.
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Traveler stevesnow is on a distinguished road stevesnow's Avatar

Reread this yesterday and I'm half way up through the Oracle now.

Just wanted to say that I don't think Hax was friendly with Roland in particular just because of the importance of Rolands father. The brief discription of Hax paints him as a man who just genuinely is friendly to the children (in a non-pervy way) and that infact, he is even a bit wary of the ones like Roland and Cuthbert who are undergoing their training. So from that, I believe that Hax was just caught by chance (well, probably ka) by Roland and Cuthbert.

The hanging of Hax is an important part of Rolands development, make no mistake.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree again. I think that King was trying to establish that Roland was the type of boy who would even turn in a friend for betrayal if it was against what he considered "the white"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler stevesnow is on a distinguished road stevesnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I totally agree again. I think that King was trying to establish that Roland was the type of boy who would even turn in a friend for betrayal if it was against what he considered "the white"
    Thanks.

Any word on the chapter three discussion happening? I know you guys started this reread months ago, but I'm almost done with the Oracle and the Mountains so I'll be looking to get into analysing it when its fresh in my memory. If you're (un)lucky I might post up a comedic synopsis tomorrow night and we can get it underway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2