Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club?

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

But the month is October. The entire month is for finalizing HOWLOWEEN! And 12 days until Screamfest!

It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It seems to me JohnBlaze had a similar idea at .net; it would be great if you could get him to head the project - but, then again, he is going to be too busy with the new baby soon.

Of course I would love to head it, but, as t/song said, I have too much on my hands now - the nightmarish redecoration she referred to; and the next priority will, of course, be the Castle which I regrettably neglected, and there's a lot of work to do there if we want it to be in proper order.

I would suggest Woofer or t/song. I will give all moderator's support you might need; unfortunately, I will hardly be able to participate, since I have no access to English library. (maybe whoever is in charge will let me nominate books from my own private library time to time; then I can have fun, too)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this is a great idea

We used to have a DT reading group and I really enjoyed that. I don't think we should limit ourselves to SK books, but I love Sam's suggestion of starting with Just After Sunset.

I think the trouble with leaving it until January is that the thread might get forgotten about in the meantime. Perhaps if we make a list of everyone who wants to be in, and then if we went with JASS as the first book, we start as soon as everyone has a copy. Then after that, we could go through the list alphabetically, with everyone getting to choose a book to read.

I found that when we did the DT group read, the page numbers differ from country to country and even between publishers. So, easily enough with a short story collection we could read and discuss a story at a time. And then with novels we do x amount of chapters at a time.

There would need to be some structure to the discussion too, otherwise we'll just get a bunch of posts saying either "I liked this story!" or "I didn't like this story!" Maybe we could set a list of discussion questions that could apply to any book while we're waiting to start - and then when you read a specfic book, the person who chose it, gets to add additional questions pertinant to that particular story?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'd be interested in participating. Not sure I would everytime, but it would be interesting to get this thing going.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I can talk to some teachers at my school, see if they have any ideas for book club questions, and we can get a list drawn up.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Brilliant!

Also, as for who run's it, I think whoever the person who's book we're reading at the current time can run the show until they hand over the reins to the next person on the list. I'm sure if it's active enough we can get it stickied

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Or conversely whoever decides to run this could make tailor-made questions for each book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, either/and/or

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Alright, here's a list of People currently interested

01. BeDan
    02. Cozener
    03. Darkthoughts
    04. EducatedLady
    05. Gsvec?
    06. Heather19
    07. Jackie
    08. Jean?
    09. Razz
    10. Sam Catoe
    11. TLC
    12. Turtlesong
    13. Turtlex
    14. Woofer

? means i don't know
    [edit] ^Brice?[edit/]
    (Brice, i ain't switching those numbers to add your name.
    I guess I'll just keep a list here then, and add on. wait to alphabetize until later now.)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Alright, here's a list of People currently interested

01. BeDan
    02. Cozener
    03. Darkthoughts
    04. EducatedLady
    05. Gsvec?
    06. Heather19
    07. Jackie
    08. Jean?
    09. Razz
    10. Sam Catoe
    11. TLC
    12. Turtlesong
    13. Turtlex
    14. Woofer

? means i don't know
    [edit] ^Brice?[edit/]
    (Brice, i ain't switching those numbers to add your name.
    I guess I'll just keep a list here then, and add on. wait to alphabetize until later now.)
    Interested, yes. I'll participate when it's convenient.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

alright then!
    i'm keeping a copy of members on my computer, just to update it quickly.
    Which made me think of another question. when a new club member joins, how far into the book should it be before we ask them to wait until the next book? I mean, it's simple if they miss one discussion of the book. but if we're halfway through, they've missed half the discussion, and while they could catch up perhaps, they wouldn't knowwhat we talked about in the discussions. I don't see any problem with short stories though.
    Then there's (again) the question of time.
    While most of us could read the entire book (just about any) within a month, some people could not. Therefore it seems the best option to have chapter based time slots (or something like that). In that case, meetings should either be weekly or bimonthly. And depending on the size of the story, we shouldn't have only one short story per week. maybe up to three or four if they're really short (like if we were to read skeleton crew, or the Martian Chronicles)

Also i would liek to point out that we need a definite time for the next discussion leader to pick out a book and post it here, and it will then be the duty of the members to check back here and then get a copy of the book. I suggest 24-48 hours, but in order to make sure it's a book everyone could agree with or find, it should be part of the discussion during the last meetign for each book. therefore members should be thinking of more than one book idea when it's their turn.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think there should be a cutoff for people joining in. If during the course of disussion something gets repeated ...so be it.

If you rescue me

true, true...no cut off it is then
    once we get everything finalized, I'll summarize the entire set of guidelines at the beginning of the thread.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I am definitely interested--I've made it through the whole thread despite my post-duty exhaustion, so that's gotta mean something.

If no one is interested in running the discussion group I can vounteer--assuming we start in Dec. or January, as my next two months are going tobe taken up with my cross country move & getting settled at my new USMC unit.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

right, you're added to the list. And we have a nominee for a moderator. I'll add that to the list.

BeDan
    Cozener
    Darkthoughts
    EducatedLady
    Gsvec?
    Heather19
    Jackie
    Jean?
    Razz
    Sam Catoe
    TLC
    Turtlesong
    Turtlex
    Woofer
    Brice
    Ves'Ka Gan- disc mod nominee?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As for a moderator, I would certainly be willing to be a moderator for a month or so, but I cannot do it full time as my wife's medical condition, while stable, is too tenuous for me to make any sort of long term commitment.

Hell, you should have seen me a year ago. I wouldn't make plans more than a day ahead except for doctor's appointments, and even those plans were subject to change with NO notice. Oh, and I made absolutely zero plans for days after the chemo treatments. I was afraid to even leave the house to go to the store two miles (round trip) away for a coke for the first two days after chemo.

Anyway, I would be willing to moderate the first month should we decide to go with my idea of JAS since it was my suggestion. I do think that starting this with November would be possible, if everything is hammered out. Remember though that the book is not released until the 11th so many can't even begin the book before then (those going to the reading are the exception). Add to that, the Thanksgiving holiday, and many just don't have time. With December we have the Christmas holidays which can absorb two weeks or more with some.

With that in mind, I have a suggestion. IF we are to start this in November and IF we were to use JAS as the first book to discuss, why not simply combine November andDecember for the same title. This will give those with families time to actually read the book and not sacrifice their holiday time. I have very little family, no children, and no full time job. Moderating will not be any great strain against my time for now. We would also have two full months to work out any kinks that may rear their ugly heads.

It's a lot to take in at once, but it's what just came to me a few minutes ago. Here's to possibilities.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Makes sense, Bob. we've already had agreements that JAS should be the first book, but so those who can't buy the book can get it from a library, I suggest we wait to start at the beginning of December, because most libraries would have it in stock by then. As for combining months for reading, i've already said that a single book could take months depending on the size. Depending on the number of meetings we have each month, we would only have one or two short stories for each meeting. one month seems too large a time, so we have meetings either weekly or bi monthly?

Country
    Country Flag

I think weekly is not an unreal idea, but that bi-weekly would be better for many of us who have busy lives (for the workaholics and soccer moms [and if we have soccer moms can I get your number *SMACK*... Sorry. ])
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Sorry. Yesterday was a pretty busy day. My fave niece was in town. Yay!

I'd be happy to help run it. I see Ves is interested, as well. Perhaps we could have a rotating book club mod? That way nobody has all the pressure and we can step up and fill in for each other when required?
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

sounds great!

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

I'd be happy to help run it. I see Ves is interested, as well. Perhaps we could have a rotating book club mod? That way nobody has all the pressure and we can step up and fill in for each other when required?
    Oh I think that is a great idea! I think it would do a lot toward "keeping it fun" for the bookclub mods, too, since there would be limited pressure. Even if we only rotated between 2 and 3 people who were interested it would still work out.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very good. I will be around in case you need some editing/deleting/renaming.

only please, please, let me nominate a book for discussion time to time!!!

::jumps up and down::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

Oh I think that is a great idea! I think it would do a lot toward "keeping it fun" for the bookclub mods, too, since there would be limited pressure. Even if we only rotated between 2 and 3 people who were interested it would still work out.
    Yes that sounds like a fantastic idea! That way no one peron will have all the weight on their sholders.

And yes Jean of course you can nominate a book from time to time

In fact i think [after the first month when we will be reading JAS] we should put a poll up a week or so before the next month to decide on a book

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Country
    Country Flag

So my next question is the format. What type of discussion do you want to have? Chapter-by-chapter (in the case of collections, story-by-story), entire sections, and what about a book like Dolores Claiborne that doesn't have chapter breaks. Also, do we want the discussion to be a light, on the surface style, or do you want to delve into the depths and deal with elements like style, symbolism, deeper meanings, foreshadowing (which is often difficult to see when reading for the first time), and other literary elements.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast