Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Well i'm not really sure. It depends on what people want. perhaps for the first meetings of each book we can discuss what you think of it, the writing style, the characters, and discuss the book in relation the the previous section, and then on the final meeting for the book, we can discuss the book overall. Foreshadowing, etc.

how long do you think each meeting should last? until everyone has had their say or leaves? or should there be a specific time limit (I'm against a limit. people will probably leave when they're done)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

There are some books that actually come with book club discussion guides - that give an idea or a jumping off point.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Leave? I'm afraid you lost me there. I really don't think people would leave the discussion. I think posts would continue. I would suggest a time limit, but leave the thread available for people to read. I have seen this type of format used on another forum I am a member of that has special guests. The guest is present for a specific amount of time to post and answere question. After that time has elapsed, the guest says his goodbyes and the entire topic is closed but still readable.

I think the time limit would work out fine, but should be adapted for the title being read. Carrie wouldn't need anywhere near the time that The Stand would need. Likewise, I wouldn't see the need to devote as much time to Gerald's Game as I would to Eyes of the Dragon if we were going to have a deep discussion of the book, since EotD has much stronger ties to The Tower than GG. Either way I think each book deserves, at a minimum, three good weeks of discussion. Even Misery (which has few ties to any other story) can garner that much discussion.

As to the content of the discussion, I think it would probably be best not to define any specific type of discussion, but rather to let the community discuss what ideas they wish. The moderator can give a general direction though in that discussion. This is all just my opinion though. I don't want to speak for anyone else. What do y'all think?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Razz,
    I think the two of us have completely different ideas and that I have misunderstood your suggestion.

What I was referring to is to open a sub topic on the book to be discussed and have a discussion begin at a specific time and date. The discussion would continue 24 hours a day for a specific length of time (like one week) via postings at the members own rate. At the end of that time period the discussion would be ended and the sub topic closed to additional posting. That is the idea I had in mind the entire time.

How does this compare with the idea you have?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

that is how I had thought and hoped it would be like Sam.
    not sure I get the other way either!!!
    please explain!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i kind of figured we'd use the chat, but noe that i think about it, it might be a little crowded and confusing.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I personally have issues using the chat on my computer--it delays too long and I get left in the dust. This is especially an issue when there are several people in the chat....just my .02
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you tried the new one? Its hosted off site.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm definitely interested! I'd also prefer not to use the chat room. Like Ves, my computer (which is slow and obnoxious) can't compete in Java chat, especially with my archaic dial-up connection.

Oh, this is gonna be fun!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    There are some books that actually come with book club discussion guides - that give an idea or a jumping off point.
    Ah ha! That made me search and I found this article: Starting a Book Discussion Group. I'll try to remember to read it tomorrow, but I wanted to get the link up for anyone else interested. At a glance, it looks like we've covered most of the basics.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt--I stand corrected--when you first changed the chat I used it & it worked fine. Sometimes I am absentminded. I think it may be because I am a genius.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Country
    Country Flag

Or it could be because you're a chocolate covered NUT!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

are there blonde nuts? i think she definitely qualifies.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I suggest you choose a book, then make sure at least six (or any other number you agree upon) people have access to it, and fix the date of the beginning; all that happens in this thread. On the specified date, you start a spoiler thread on the chosen book here in Dutch Hill, subtitling it "Book Club". After some agreed-upon time elapses, I merge that thread with previous book discussion thread (starting with the second, because this thread will be dedicated to organization matters only).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alright, but like i said. i don't want to do just Stephen King books, so sometimes there won't be a thread to merge with.

agreed. i hesitate to say it, but there are other worthy books out there to read. :gasp:

for example, we could choose a repairman jack book, or an h.p. lovecraft book of short stories, or maybe the bear will suggest a non-king book (i already bought the ball and the cross, just haven't started it yet).

we could see if anyone wants to dabble in an alice sebold book, or harlan coben, or. . . . see where i'm going with this? why stick with one author when there are multitudes of books, authors, genres, to choose from.

just a thought. i'll shut up now. ::going back to 100 aker wood to find hunney::

Okay, but a suggestion: could we stay out of Nora Roberts? please?

i don't go into the romance section. it drops your iq by 20 points. no, really, i have done studies.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Misery Chastain? DO NOT WANT!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

What about going back to a classic that we might not have read, or would be interested in re-reading?

Kerouac's On The Road
    Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird

I like the idea of a collection of short stories, too.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Might I suggest some possible science fiction as well. I'm thinking Heinlein's Staranger in a Strange Land. As far as delving into other genres, I believe we should stick with the more well known titles. They are more available to those who don't own them.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    alright, but like i said. i don't want to do just Stephen King books, so sometimes there won't be a thread to merge with.
    I am going to merge all book club discussions in consecutive order, regardless of the author

Country
    Country Flag

What about going back to a classic that we might not have read, or would be interested in re-reading?

Kerouac's On The Road

Mockingbird would be great because I have it at home, and I don't think I'll have many chances of participations

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

i would have to get most of my books from the library provided they aren't super new books. So it may take me a few days to acquire a certain title when we do decide on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am going to merge all book club discussions in consecutive order, regardless of the author
    oh, i get what you're saying. sort of an "uber-bookclub thread". nice, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Kerouac's On The Road

Mockingbird would be great because I have it at home, and I don't think I'll have many chances of participations
    that would be such a nice book. i haven't read it in eons. seriously, i'm that old.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    i would have to get most of my books from the library provided they aren't super new books. So it may take me a few days to acquire a certain title when we do decide on one.
    i think a lot of people will do it that way tlc, so don't worry. there will be time for people to acquire the book in question. and to read the prescribed sections before the discussions begin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast