I first discovered The Gunslinger many years ago when I was in high school and got up the Wizard and glass while I was in college but got hooked to WoW and my path to the tower was put on hold (>.<).

Since my job doesn't require too much networking via the phone I decided to retake the journey via audiobooks. (not to mention I read the older version of The Gunslinger).

As King states in his afterword (at the end of Wolves of the Calla, I believe) that he in fact used his audiobooks to get reacquainted with the series, since you're "forced" to go along with the story and cannot skip any part or word.

For those familliar with the audiobooks:_______________________________

I was pretty bummed to hear that Frank Muller, who read the first four novels (note: however it was his replacement that read the revised version of The Gunslinger), had suffered an accident (and eventually died) which made it impossible for him to finish the series.

His narration is simply second to none and his voices for each character were in fact endorsed by S. King as what he would have thought the characters should sound like. Even his voice for the lobstrosities was simply awesome and I knew when I first started The Drawing of the Three that this guy would blow George Guiddall out of the water. Not to knock George, he is also a great narrator, his voice for Roland was nothing short of perfect and I preferred his to Frank's.

Sorry that was long, my central point:
If they were to close the series at the end of Wizard and Glass (in terms of the audiobooks), I would have been completely satisfied. It was a proper book for Frank Muller to finish off the series, as I felt the books after simply were not on the same level of the first four.

I sometimes go back to the scene before they depart again along the path of the beam where Eddie announces they are Ka-tet. His narration of that final scene is simply haunting and am thankful for his contribution to the series.

Frank Muller: