Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eyes of the Dragon - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Entertaining enough but damn the ending was abrupt. Suckilly so. This book also makes me even more annoyed at the way Flagg meets his end in DT.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    I'm shocked that you didn't seem to care for it Ryan. Maybe it's because I was younger when I first read it, but this story drew me in so much that I had to keep turning the pages. When I finished, I had to read more by this man who dragged me into his world and held me hostage. I have read the story more timea than I have read any other book, and each time I find something new about it. I'm sorry you did not have a similar experience.
    S'Ok. They can't all be gold. I think now a 'younger' audience is key here. He writes on the jacket that it was his daughters favorite at 13. I can see that. I think it's the right age group for this book. Dragons, mystery, suspense... very teenage. No offence intended to any and all.
    I'm sure I would have had a different perspective had I read this novel at a younger age. As with all things though, there's no going back.
    I must be a kid at heart then! I didn't read Eyes until I was 52 years old and I enjoyed the living hell out of it.

Traveler pluginbaby is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

One of my favourite books ever, a real fairytale. I was probably a teenager when I first read it but I still love it today, in fact I had to replace it when the cover fell off my original copy!

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I remember reading this about 7 years ago and not really enjoying it that much but i'm always willing to have a little re-read (especially if it's tower related) so i've just bought a copy for £2 on Ebay with no postage n Packaging so when I finally finish the final dark tower book i'll probably work my way round to reading it

Jamesey
    xxxx

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't enthralled either. Pleasantly diverted, sure. I was certainly never tempted to put it down and never come back (like I did with Insomnia) But as was previously said, "they can't all be gold". And again, I really hated the abrupt ending. I have this vision of Mrs. King walking into SK's study and saying:

TK: Dinner's ready!

SK: But honey, I'm almost done..just few more pages.

TK: I"m sick of your "few more pages" shit! Get your ass downstairs and eat your goddamn dinner that I just spent 2 hours making!

SK: Dammit woman! You're breaking my train of thought! I might not be able to pick it up again!

TK: Oh boo fucking hoo!

SK: Well, fuck! Its too late now! Dammit! *takes a predinner bong hit* Thanks for fucking up my ending, bitch! All for your shitty meatloaf and peas!

Traveler futuramaguy07 is on a distinguished road

I really liked this book. Im pretty into fantasy stuff, and something about this at the time i read it was just what the doctor ordered.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Otter:

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    <...>I was certainly never tempted to put it down and never come back <...>
    I was.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't enthralled either. Pleasantly diverted, sure. I was certainly never tempted to put it down and never come back (like I did with Insomnia) But as was previously said, "they can't all be gold". And again, I really hated the abrupt ending. I have this vision of Mrs. King walking into SK's study and saying:

TK: I"m sick of your "few more pages" shit! Get your ass downstairs and eat your goddamn dinner that I just spent 2 hours making!

SK: Dammit woman! You're breaking my train of thought! I might not be able to pick it up again!

SK: Well, fuck! Its too late now! Dammit! *takes a predinner bong hit* Thanks for fucking up my ending, bitch! All for your shitty meatloaf and peas!
    LOL, oh man this is kickass. Perfect.

Roland would have understood.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I found it to be a great adventure story. I also enjoyed seeing two more names for Flagg.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I <3 this.

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

any King medieval/fantasy is welcome i loved it 10 years ago and its still a good book ......it's short too ..............not a big commitment for somebody

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I was.
    Seriously, Jean, how come?

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    The reference to the two men, and Flagg is during Drawing of the Three,
    Spoiler:
    when Roland is on the beach. He is thinking about the different wizards he has met, and he remembers a wizard who he thinks is a demon called Flagg, who was pursued by two men, Thomas and Dennis. The scene isn't expanded on.

In Wizard and Glass, I think Flagg is briefly referenced but only in the sense that Flagg mentions having seen Roland before during the fall of Gilead.
    Yes, I remember him thinking about:
    Spoiler:
    Being back in Gilead from Mejis and seeing Flagg pass through with "Two young men" hot on his heels.

In my second reading of the DT series, I almost highlighted sentences that touched on other books and wrote in the margins which book they were from. In the end, I couldn't bring myself to deface even mass market paperbacks.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I was.
    Seriously, Jean, how come?
    Because it was unprecedentedly boring, pointless, poor in characters, and just lacking common logic. To prevent possible arguments: bears love books for children. Every third book they read or reread is a children's. But there are good children's book, and poor ones; for me, TEotD belongs to the latter group. (so does Coraline, for that matter)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you at least have to respect SK for trying to practice what he preaches.
    "...Most parents quite rightly recognize the fact that children are mad, in the classic sense of that word. But I'm not altogether sure that killing Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy is the same thing as 'rationality.' For children, the rationality of madness seems to work remarkably well. For one thing, it keeps the thing in the closet at bay."
    ~ Danse Macabre
    EotD certainly is not overburdened with logic.

This is more fable than fairy tale. King doesn't achieve archetypes. His players are just shallow caricatures.
    We get several nice morals, but that's not the real purpose of good prose fiction, a point which SK himself had often stressed before.
    Still, if you're going to write a thinly-veiled philosophical tract, you could do far worse in choosing the philosophy.
    "...Pigs also do God's bidding, I believe, and my shame and grief are very great. If God wills me to live, I must, but if God wills me to die and has sent such a pig as you to do the killing, that is very well."
    ~ The Eyes of the Dragon

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

This is the next King book I'm going to read since I've read it has some similiarities with DT like the kingdom was in the land of Delain, the Gunslinger kingdom was also in the land of Delain, the queen was from a poor western Barony like Susan Delgado was from Mejis, and the King is named Roland as our Gunslinger.

John F. Kennedy Hammer is on a distinguished road Hammer's Avatar

to predictable for me was ok nothing great

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's one of my favourite King books. I think you have to throw logic away when it comes to true fairy tales, I have the original Grimm Tales and some of those are only three paragraphs and as nonsenical and illogical as you like, but that's the style. It's whimsy with the occasional moral chucked in.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RolandLover View Post
    This is the next King book I'm going to red since I've read it has some similiarities with DT like the kingdom was in the land of Delain, the Gunslinger kingdom was also in the land of Delain, the queen was from a poor western Barony like Susan Delgado was from Mejis, and the King is named Roland as our Gunslinger.
    Here's my two cents no one asked for. I'd rather read something like Hearts in Atlantis than The Eyes. I find HIA has more to do with King's literally world and levels of the tower than TEOTD. Sure, Flagg is in it but HIA is more in line with the parallel worlds theory.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    It's one of my favourite King books. I think you have to throw logic away when it comes to true fairy tales, I have the original Grimm Tales and some of those are only three paragraphs and as nonsenical and illogical as you like, but that's the style. It's whimsy with the occasional moral chucked in.
    well, first, Eyes of the Dragon is no fairy tale, and next - much worse than this - it is far longer than three paragraphs...

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    well, first, Eyes of the Dragon is no fairy tale, and next - much worse than this - it is far longer than three paragraphs...

Country
    Country Flag

well, yes, Eyes is on the top of my list of least liked King books

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

well, yes, Eyes is on the top of my list of least liked King books
    It's certainly not an intense or deep read but I still think its a fine tale. For me this book has a whimsical and experimental feel to it which I like. Sorry to hear this is towards the top of your least liked list but as you know you are not alone on this one.

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandLover View Post
    This is the next King book I'm going to red since I've read it has some similiarities with DT like the kingdom was in the land of Delain, the Gunslinger kingdom was also in the land of Delain, the queen was from a poor western Barony like Susan Delgado was from Mejis, and the King is named Roland as our Gunslinger.
    Here's my two cents no one asked for. I'd rather read something like Hearts in Atlantis than The Eyes. I find HIA has more to do with King's literally world and levels of the tower than TEOTD. Sure, Flagg is in it but HIA is more in line with the parallel worlds theory.
    I haven't read HIA either but it's on my list now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast