Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eyes of the Dragon - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Eyes of the Dragon - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

I just noticed that there is no "Lets Discuss - EotD" thread, I'm 3/4 through this book and I've had it less than a day. I am absolutely in love with this book right now and I can't wait to discuss it, I'm going through it so fast I almost forgot to put a library hold on the Talisman, so I would have been without something to read for a day or 2 (Can't even comprehend what that would be like)

Anyway wasn't sure if this was something anyone could do or if it had to be a mod. I don't like to step on toes.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

You can go ahead and start a forum.

As for Eyes of the Dragon, I also really enjoyed this book. I first read it when the limited edition was published (yes, I read my copy of the limited) because at that time (1984), there were no plans to publish a trade edition. The trade edition came out in 1987.

Spoiler:
    The interplay between the brothers I found very interesting, as was Flagg's urging Thomas to betray his family. Flagg really was a bad guy!

John

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes i loved this book too

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

EotD is one of several King books that I've reread numerous times. I've always loved this book, mostly for the reasons John named in the spoiler-tagged part of his post.

I also like that it's a very quick and easy read. It makes for a nice change of pace from the longer epic King novels (which I also love).

Country
    Country Flag

Could a mod maybe change the title to something a little more appropriate for the book? Seems I can't edit it.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

yeah, why not just make this the EotD thread?

I just finished reading my second time through. Last year this cool Russian teacher named Mr. Barbarisch suggested it to me. (actually i think he may have threatened my health. just kidding. i think.). It. was. awesome!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

done
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Odetta!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved this book a lot. King is amazing. It's a book I would read out from my 4-year-old girl as well. And that's something.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

My big question is, it seems that the narrator hints to other stories in which some side stories are involved. I'm thinking along the lines of when the 2 leave at the end he says that in fact they do eventually catch up with Flagg and confront him, but there are more through the story. Are there some short stories somewhere that finish the tale? I really really want to know what happens. Grrrrrr

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

EotD was the second King story I ever read. It was astounding and so absorbing I stayed up all night reading it. I was 15 and read it because my brother told me I should. He was sooooo right.
    I've often wished since learning of the end of Flagg's story that we had heard of the middle part where Thomas and Dennis caught up with him, but King decided to leave that open ended (like most fairy tales).
    EotD is the book that truly hooked me. It spurred me on to want to see what else this author had to say, and I have never looked back. I have reread EotD probably half a dozen times easily, most likely more.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice Ryan is on a distinguished road Ryan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default To True

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    EotD is the book that truly hooked me. It spurred me on to want to see what else this author had to say, and I have never looked back. I have reread EotD probably half a dozen times easily, most likely more.
    It's funny I was just finishing the first King book I ever read (Misery) and while leafing through the list of published books I noticed I've never (can you believe it), read EotD. I did a bit of Googling on the title and I had no idea how closely linked the characters are to TDT.

Now the tricky part. I've scoured all the second hand stores for a copy with no luck. I may have to bite the bullet and go to the big box Chapters. meanwhile I've reserved a copy through the local library and should have it within the week. I'm very much looking forward to the read.

I'll be joining some discussion on the matter I'm sure once I've finished the book though.

Check ya all later
    Constant Reader

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. - SK

Country
    Country Flag

Look on ebay, you should be able to get a decent hardcover on the cheap. It's worth owning so you can read it again at your leisure.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

Well I've finished it and I have to say it's a real nice story.
    I can't see me reading it again so I'm glad I borrowed it from the Library.
    It sure doesn't compare to the literary style of his later works.
    I too would like to read a story of how Thomas catches up with Flagg.
    Constant Reader

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I too would like to read a story of how Thomas catches up with Flagg.
    Yeah, so would the rest of us. I've been waiting years for King to deliver on that one.

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure i read eotd when it first came out in the uk in 1988.
    After looking at some of the posts here i gave it a reread,you know what i
    could not recall any of the story but i am still sure i read it back in 1988.
    Anyway it was a great story,i wish i could forget the DT books so i could
    read them again for the first time.If you have not read eotd give it a go.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

*Ok, takes book down from the shelf, starts a reread.*

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

What did you feel about Thomas? Could you be really angry with him?
    Somehow I couldn't. I liked his character so much. He was so weak and so human-like. The way I see it he wasn't an evil or a bad person still he could do horrible things.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm shocked that you didn't seem to care for it Ryan. Maybe it's because I was younger when I first read it, but this story drew me in so much that I had to keep turning the pages. When I finished, I had to read more by this man who dragged me into his world and held me hostage. I have read the story more timea than I have read any other book, and each time I find something new about it. I'm sorry you did not have a similar experience.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    What did you feel about Thomas? Could you be really angry with him?
    Somehow I couldn't. I liked his character so much. He was so weak and so human-like. The way I see it he wasn't an evil or a bad person still he could do horrible things.
    Huh...I answered this question two hours ago and it's not here! Damn! Now I have to remember what I said.....

Thomas is a prime example of why Stephen King is my favorite author. Thomas is so three dimensional, you could see yourself behaving the way he does if put in the same circumstances. He was merely a boy who wanted the love of a father who already had a favorite son. When Thomas overhears his father say the boat Thomas worked so hard to make for him looked like "a turd with a sail," (or something like that) I just cringe for him! Considering the way Flagg manipulated him, beginning at an early age, it's easy to understand why he behaved the way he did. Thomas is as much a victim as Peter. I've never really thought of Thomas as a bad guy at all.

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    I'm shocked that you didn't seem to care for it Ryan. Maybe it's because I was younger when I first read it, but this story drew me in so much that I had to keep turning the pages. When I finished, I had to read more by this man who dragged me into his world and held me hostage. I have read the story more timea than I have read any other book, and each time I find something new about it. I'm sorry you did not have a similar experience.
    S'Ok. They can't all be gold. I think now a 'younger' audience is key here. He writes on the jacket that it was his daughters favorite at 13. I can see that. I think it's the right age group for this book. Dragons, mystery, suspense... very teenage. No offence intended to any and all.
    I'm sure I would have had a different perspective had I read this novel at a younger age. As with all things though, there's no going back.
    Constant Reader

Country
    Country Flag

I felt very sorry for Thomas, I believe how we act is a product of our environment. And with his father acting and saying things about Thomas the way he did you could see something like that coming

Country
    Country Flag

S'Ok, now I'm curious.
    While tripping around the DT web site just now I scroll to the bottom and click "connections". Here I scroll down to see, other than Flagg, how this book connects to the DT series. It mentions "In addition to Flagg, the characters of Thomas and Dennis make brief appearances in books 2 and 4 as they pursue Flagg."
    I'm trying as best I can to remember in the DoTT where and what Thomas and Dennis are doing and I can't for the life of me remember. Nor do I remember what part they play in Book 4 WotG.
    Can anyone, as I'm sure there is, help me out here.
    Constant Reader

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ryan, I vaguely remember someone commenting to the Gunslinger Ka-tet that there were rumors of two men, Tomas and Dennis, looking for Flagg. I'm not sure which books this occurred.

John

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The reference to the two men, and Flagg is during Drawing of the Three,
    Spoiler:
    when Roland is on the beach. He is thinking about the different wizards he has met, and he remembers a wizard who he thinks is a demon called Flagg, who was pursued by two men, Thomas and Dennis. The scene isn't expanded on.

In Wizard and Glass, I think Flagg is briefly referenced but only in the sense that Flagg mentions having seen Roland before during the fall of Gilead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast