Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help remembering a forgotten book? ASK HERE!

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Need help remembering a forgotten book? ASK HERE!

Hi all.
    I am trying to locate an old book but am unsure of its title or author
    Now it is horror/sf it is a trilogy and is something like gormanhaust and
    all i can remember it has something to do with a large castle/mansion
    Can anyone think what the title maybe,thanks for any help.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow Bev, that was amazing!

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks bev,thats the one.I have been racking my gray cell for ages on that.
    Many thanks.By the way do you know if its ok.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sweet fancy Moses. In a matter of UNDER 10 minutes, Bev came up with the right answer as if it were nothing. Shocked, awed, and speechless, I leave.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

If you like Charles Dickens, you would like this series. Very Gothic, a trifle absurd, lavish, ornate, fascinating.

There's a BBC miniseries based on the series, too. It's utterly fascinating.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh great. Like I need MORE books to read.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOW, Bev is the man when it comes to obscure book titles. Now if only he could help me with a book I read when I was a kid. It had a blue cover and a red fox the walked around on two legs. Little help Bev?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Probably one of those wonderful books by Thornton W. Burgess. Maybe this one?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

^
    |

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

many Big Bearthanks to 3 DOORS DOWN for having started this thread - it's one of those I've had in mind since long and never gotten around to starting

3 DOORS DOWN: can you please alter your starter post so it will become clear that the tread is for all those who want to identify a forgotten book?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

way to go Bev. I too am deeply impressed.
    That said, I will read the book on your recommendation.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Bev is the master!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Hi all,
    Just ordered the gormenghast book today from my local book store (the one with H20
    +ROCKS)should be delivered next week.
    I'll let you all know what i think of it in a few weeks time.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If I remember correctly, that was a trilogy. Is the book you ordered the first of the three or an omnibus volume?

John

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    Sweet fancy Moses. In a matter of UNDER 10 minutes, Bev came up with the right answer as if it were nothing. Shocked, awed, and speechless, I leave.
    lol'd. great post, would read again.

It was a trilogy (and I think he planned two more books that were never written) but it is available in omnibus editions these days.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes the book ordered is the trilogy
    The 3 books to make up the trilogy are 1.TITUS GROAN 1946.
    2.GORMENGHAST 1950.
    3.TITUS ALONE 1959.this was made
    up from notes and edited.

Two more books were planned TITUS AWAKES AND GORMENGHAST
    REVISITED but were never completed before peakes death.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That was a damn good guess. Unfortunately, it was wrong. The book was something about little fox, at least I think it was. I'll take a look on Amazon, but thanks for giving it a shot.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Looking for a book, help me

Maybe it has happened to you, too that you wanted to find a book but you remembered neither the author nor the title of the book.
    This thread can help us to find books.
    (If there is any similar thread or you don't find it useful, please feel free to send it to the clearing.)

So,
    for my part I would like to ask your opinion. I would like to read about Mahatma Gandhi. About his life. There are so many books about him and his work I don't know which one I should choose. So if anyone has read a book about him and loved it please let me now the author and I will buy that one.
    Thank you for your help.

Roland would have understood.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

excellent idea, letti.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found a book at Borders about a man who, after his mother died, found out his mother had a sister despite his mother's lifelong insistence she was an only child. I have no idea what it was called or who wrote it and I couldn't find it when we went back. I think the cover was red. I tried to go on Borders.com but their site is really unhelpful. I browsed through their bio section in both health and general bios but didn't see it.

Matt may have it written somewhere, we make lists of books we like in stores, but he doesn't keep them in any particular place and he doesn't seem to be looking for them either.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

This shouldn't be hard. A book about post-nuclear war, and everyone is in Australia, until the winds change and they bring the fallout to Australia. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

On the Beach?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast