Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scariest Stephen King passage?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    The lawn jockey scene in Duma Key creeped me out more than anything in other SK books so far. Totally random.
    Amen, AMEN!!!

It truly scared the bejesus out of me.
    out of bears too

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Flagg Having sex with Nadine in The Stand. The description of her sensations!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah... The End is pretty damn scary!

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    The lawn jockey scene in Duma Key creeped me out more than anything in other SK books so far. Totally random.
    Amen, AMEN!!!

It truly scared the bejesus out of me.
    out of bears too
    That lawn jockey really creeped me out as well. There's actually a house nearby that has one and everytime I drive by I'm immediately reminded of the one in Duma Key
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    The one thing that has stuck with me re: creepiness factor is the phone in room 1408. That's the only King story that ever really wierded me out.

Six! This is six!
    I absolutely agree with this one !! I loved that short story and it genuinely unerved me!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There are certain terrible motifs in some of his short stories. I'm truly horrified by "The Boogeyman," and "Gramma." Somewhat related ideas appear in "Quitters, Inc." and "Secret Window, Secret Garden."
    The Talisman

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The scene in Gerald's Game where she awakens in the middle of the night and thinks someone is in the room but it's too dark she can't see anything, so right after convincing herself that noone is there she realizes that in fact someone is standing right in the room with her. ...
    Yes, that was creepy. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't have much purpose, other than to dispell that one moment. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe that was pretty cornily treated as simply an incredible coincidence. What makes the scene so scary is that we all have had such feelings. What would have been really horrifying would be a book in which lurking things only remain hidden from people who are connected to society...

Some of King's more otherworldly tales which really affected me: "The Moving Finger," "The Monkey," and "The Road Virus Heads North."

Traveler meaella is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I think I nearly had a stroke when I read 1408 for the first time. And The Shining . . . oooooh. The fire-hose part gets me every time, as does the part where Danny is playing outside on the playground. I won't be too specific or I'll freak myself out.

It doesn't help that hotels have always make me a bit uncomfortable; I'm pretty sure Stephen King has really reinforced this little phobia.

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    There are certain terrible motifs in some of his short stories. I'm truly horrified by "The Boogeyman," and "Gramma." Somewhat related ideas appear in "Quitters, Inc." and "Secret Window, Secret Garden."
    The Talisman

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The scene in Gerald's Game where she awakens in the middle of the night and thinks someone is in the room but it's too dark she can't see anything, so right after convincing herself that noone is there she realizes that in fact someone is standing right in the room with her. ...
    Yes, that was creepy. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't have much purpose, other than to dispell that one moment. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe that was pretty cornily treated as simply an incredible coincidence. What makes the scene so scary is that we all have had such feelings. What would have been really horrifying would be a book in which lurking things only remain hidden from people who are connected to society...

Some of King's more otherworldly tales which really affected me: "The Moving Finger," "The Monkey," and "The Road Virus Heads North."

I thought that scene in Gerald's Game, and the whole book, was plenty good and scary, and held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences", even though gerald's game does have links to other books, for instance dolores claiborne). It may not have been his best or strongest story from the early 90's, but I didnt think it was corny at all. And what really makes that scene so scary is not that we've all had such feelings, but that there's a deformed serial killer/necrophiliac stirring a box full of his victims bones and jewelry, watching a defenseless woman handcuffed to a bed in a cabin that reeks of her
    Spoiler:
    dead and rotting, partially eaten husband

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...but haven't we all done that too?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Good question, actually. (For once. )
    Quote Originally Posted by thebumblerinblack View Post
    ...Gerald's Game...held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences"...
    He just happened to pick that house to enter, right? Take away ka, and that's beyond incredible... unless we're meant to believe that similar situations are fairly common behind closed doors. (I will re-read, tho, if there's some level in it of room for ka which I overlooked or have forgotten about.)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...Gerald's Game...held as much purpose as any of King's non DT books (sometimes its nice to read the stories that arent full of mind-bendng links and "incredible coincidences"...
    He just happened to pick that house to enter, right? Take away ka, and that's beyond incredible... unless we're meant to believe that similar situations are fairly common behind closed doors. (I will re-read, tho, if there's some level in it of room for ka which I overlooked or have forgotten about.)
    I'd say what's common behind closed doors may be the scariest thing.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by meaella View Post
    I think I nearly had a stroke when I read 1408 for the first time.
    "1408" was first released as an audiobook, and I too nearly had a stroke while listening to it. Those that have "Blood and Smoke" can surely attest to that.

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

I don't know, I guess Im just not as picky as some with stuff like that. I havent read it in awhile, either, but even if the guy does go into her cabin randomly, I'm okay with that, because that's just the way King wrote it, and I know that strange and stranger coincidences like that do happen everyday.

ps I love your signature though, great movie, been watchin it all my life!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

For me it's probably in Misery when Paul is sneaking out of bed in his wheelchair and Annie comes home a little early. Nightmarish.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I'd say what's common behind closed doors may be the scariest thing.
    Well, you've definitely got a point there. Nonetheless, I continue to see Gerald's Game as sort of like Pulp Fiction without any sense of humor.

If you want to talk about the horror of evil as a commonplace, though, another one of SK's scariest passages, IMO, is the motel in the town of Harko seen in Black House. *shudder*

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I forget that. It's been too long since I've read that one and my memory is VERY short.

If you rescue me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The thing that scares me with that one scene in Gerald's Game is that I'm sure everyone has at some point awoken in the dead of night, and heard a noise or thought they saw something. Well what if there actually was someone right there in the room with you....
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. It's terrifying! I felt disappointed that that concept wasn't what the story was about. As I kept reading, I recall, there were only some daffy action sequences.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kronz View Post
    For me it's probably in Misery when Paul is sneaking out of bed in his wheelchair and Annie comes home a little early. Nightmarish.
    Absolutely!!! I literally "felt" that whole horrendous scene. The whole book scared me to death as the premise was so possible. Annie was was of the best characters ever in my opinion and Kathy Bates really rocked that part in the movie too. One of the few times where I liked the movie as well as the book!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    The one thing that has stuck with me re: creepiness factor is the phone in room 1408. That's the only King story that ever really wierded me out.

Six! This is six!
    Yes!

1408, N, and The Road Virus Heads North all scare the shit outta me. Not just the first time through them either. Every time.

BUT, there are so many terrifying passages in so many different books! I'm reading IT again right now and it seems like I'm getting goosebumps every few pages!
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post

isn't it interesting how this book changes so dramatically once a child is in your life? i never thought twice about it until my god daughter was born. i haven't read it since. i just can't bring myself to pick it up.
    Me either since having my daughter (10 months)! I know it will be too disturbing for me, at least for right now. Everything becomes scary once you're a parent: car rides, germs, small objects...
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The entire time it took to read Gramma I was feeling uneasy.

Hedge and firehose parts in The Shining.

Sacrifice in 'Salem's Lot.

Plaster man/The Guardian in The Waste Lands.

Overall, the scariest was Pet Sematary.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The hedge animal scenes in the Shining. *shudder*
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Traveler Son of Paul is on a distinguished road Son of Paul's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What about the tunnels in The Stand? You don't need to be scared of the dark to be freaked out with that scenario.

But overall, to me, the scariest stuff King does is usually his Lovercraft-attempts in the shorter stories. I'm thinking Jerusalem's Lot here.

Oh, and I know it's probably too easy, but Pennywise in the sewer, offering balloons to Georgy? Talk about setting the tone for a story right there.

Traveler johnny39 is on a distinguished road

So many:

Lincoln Tunnel scene in The Stand
    Teenage Werewolf chasing the kids in IT, basically anything involving the house on Neibolt St.
    The last scene in Salem's Lot in the basement
    The thudding of the roque mallet in the halls from the Shining

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast