Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TORCHWOOD. **SPOILERS**

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, candy, no. NO!

Most horrifying idea ever!

Still, i would prefer an american Torchwood to an american Doctor Who. Although, funnily enough, a tv movie back in 1996 was actually made by Fox to have the programme continue in america.

However, with it being full of unnecessary backstory, a plot that made no sense, and Eric Roberts as the Master, it's no surprise that this backdoor pilot got such low ratings in the US.

I will say a couple of good things about the movie though: the lovely victorian-gothic tardis interior, and Paul McGann getting some really great lines as the Doctor. "This whole planet's about to be destroyed...and I'm stuck in a traffic jam?!?"

Hmmm, that reminds me...Fox still owns the rights to characters from that movie. Not the 8th Doctor or the Master, naturally, but one off companions the Doctor had. If they made an appearance in US Torchwood...however bad the US film was, I would so love to see that!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I thought this thread needed to be bumped up, considering the news. Regarding the US remake by Fox, that didn't work out. Considering the fate of seriously decent shows on that network like Firefly, that's what I'd call the good news.

The seriously brilliant news?

It's coming back!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood_new_series/

Now, i don't know much about the Starz network, only that Spartacus got seriously slagged off in a lot of reviews. But considering they have no problems with sex, violence, and pushing boundaries, I'd doubt they'd have as much of a problem showing a programme with Captain Jack Harkness as Fox would! Even better: RTD and Julie Gardner are still in charge! Brilliant!

One question, though: can the team improve on the awesome Children of Earth? I'd love to see them try!

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think it'll be a much better fit on a channel like that as opposed to one of the network stations. Starz is kinda along the lines of HBO and Showtime, it's a pay channel so I don't think there's many boundaries with what they can show. The only disappointing thing is that I'll have to wait for the dvd's to come out, unless BBC America picks it up.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

It's coming back!

Now, i don't know much about the Starz network, only that Spartacus got seriously slagged off in a lot of reviews. But considering they have no problems with sex, violence, and pushing boundaries, I'd doubt they'd have as much of a problem showing a programme with Captain Jack Harkness as Fox would! Even better: RTD and Julie Gardner are still in charge! Brilliant!

One question, though: can the team improve on the awesome Children of Earth? I'd love to see them try!

I guess this is good news, I dunno. I loved Torchwood but they pissed me off by killing all of the good regular characters and keeping the likes of someone like Gwen and her annoying fat husband. Don't know if I can ever forgive them for killing Lanto But I'll give it a chance!! Seems like BBC has a nasty habit of killing off series regulars (i.e., Robin Hood, Primeval). Probably has more to do with "stars" demanding too much money though?

Now. I had to google "slagged off" as used in regard to Spartacus. If I understand your use of that expression I have to ask.....are you kidding?!!!??? By Jupiter's cock, Spartacus is the best show to come around for years and years. It's fucking AWESOME!!! I've read mostly great reviews of it over here.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I didn't like Rhys at first, but he grew on me over the years. And Gwen is what kept me coming back from day one -- she's the "everyman" character in the series.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Seems like BBC has a nasty habit of killing off series regulars (i.e., Robin Hood, Primeval). Probably has more to do with "stars" demanding too much money though?
    I sincerely doubt that. It's more to do with the fact that, unlike a lot of US network shows, the writers of BBC shows have near-total control over what they can do with the show, with the only restrictions being budget. If they decide they want to end a show after a couple of series instead of dragging it out year after year until all originality in the show is dead (for two good examples, see the UK versions of the Office and Life on Mars), then the writers will decide to end the show, then and there. Why did RTD kill of Ianto in Children of Earth? Why does Stephen King kill off characters that everyone loves? It's just good emotional writing. Last time I checked, a lot of US shows do the same thing. I've seen a lot of characters get killed off in Lost, and I've only watched the first 2 seasons so far!

Regarding Spartacus: well, all the reviews and clips I've seen suggest it's considerably more...exaggerated when it comes to history than compared to, say, the mega brilliant Rome. I'll watch it, but I'm not gonna take it seriously. Probably as an OTT fest, if anything.

EDIT: Btw, Primeval was ITV, not BBC. I know it was shown on BBCAmerica, but in reality, BBC had pretty much sod all to do with it. Killing off characters seems to be a trend in good UK shows. And good US shows, really.

- Melike

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm probably one of the few who liked neither the British nor the American "Office" or "Mars" shows.

Didn't care for Rome. If I want history I'll watch the History Channel. Spartacus rox!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm probably one of the few who liked neither the British nor the American "Office" or "Mars" shows.

Didn't care for Rome. If I want history I'll watch the History Channel. Spartacus rox!
    Well, Spartacus does have a few British actors in it, like all the best shows do, so I'll check it out. But come on: Rome was made by HBO! They don't make them better than that! (Except by BBC. Which co-produced it!)

Back on topic, regarding Gwen and Rhys: I've never been bothered by Gwen (except when she cheated on Rhys and then took the easy way out by asking for forgiveness then making him forget, she was nothing short of a total bitch then), but Rhys has been a pretty cool character since series 2. Sure, he was annoying as the ignorant boyfriend at first, but the moment Meat came along, he became a much better, and much more likeable character.

Then again, I'm a fan of Donna Noble, so you can never trust my opinion!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I'd take Donna over Rose any day.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

It's coming back!

I guess this is good news, I dunno. I loved Torchwood but they pissed me off by killing all of the good regular characters and keeping the likes of someone like Gwen and her annoying fat husband. Don't know if I can ever forgive them for killing Lanto But I'll give it a chance!! Seems like BBC has a nasty habit of killing off series regulars (i.e., Robin Hood, Primeval). Probably has more to do with "stars" demanding too much money though?

Now. I had to google "slagged off" as used in regard to Spartacus. If I understand your use of that expression I have to ask.....are you kidding?!!!??? By Jupiter's cock, Spartacus is the best show to come around for years and years. It's fucking AWESOME!!! I've read mostly great reviews of it over here.
    Hey, I'd take Donna over Rose any day.
    RT Davies is back too

most excellent news, and i think they killed Ianto as they thought it was coming to an end,(as did us all) and they went for that pulling of the heart strings.

Icry4Oy, spartacus has got some terrible terrible reviews over here (i must admit i have not watched it, i was going to and then missed the first few so never bothered - is it worth the watch then if i can catch it again?) i trust your opinion as we share a lot of the same taste in tv programmes

back on topic, so now then, as much as i am excited by the prospect of torchwood coming back esp with RTD involved. Do we think they are doing the right thing? After the last one, it kind of finished? they will need to bring in new characters or it will just be Jack and Gwen and the drip. and that will just be a sex triangle i really do not want to see!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Icry4Oy, spartacus has got some terrible terrible reviews over here (i must admit i have not watched it, i was going to and then missed the first few so never bothered - is it worth the watch then if i can catch it again?) i trust your opinion as we share a lot of the same taste in tv programmes

back on topic, so now then, as much as i am excited by the prospect of torchwood coming back esp with RTD involved. Do we think they are doing the right thing? After the last one, it kind of finished? they will need to bring in new characters or it will just be Jack and Gwen and the drip. and that will just be a sex triangle i really do not want to see!!!!!!
    I would definitely recommend Spartacus to anyone - anyone who isn't offended by extreme graphic violence with literally buckets of blood or by plenty of lingering full frontal shots of both men and women and by very vulgar language. But those are just some of the things I like about it! Also, if the critics hated it over there so much, that's just one more reason to like it!!!

I plan on keeping an open mind in regards to Torchwood coming back and I completely agree about Jack/Gwen/The Drip. Eew.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I just finished watching Children of Earth last night. I think that is easily one of the most depressing endings ever. I can't believe most of Torchwood is now dead I still loved every second of it though! And I can't wait to see the new series. I hope we hear some information soon.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished watching Children of Earth for the first time since it was on last year, which I'd almost be surprised about, since it was one of best pieces of television I saw last year, but...like Heather said, it's just so incredibly depressing. 2nd watch, and it's final episode still considerably reduces your will to live. I'm still looking forward to what Torchwood: The New World will bring, and I hope it's as different to Children of Earth as CoE was to series 1 and 2, but still recognisably Torchwood. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any news!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished watching Children of Earth for the first time since it was on last year, which I'd almost be surprised about, since it was one of best pieces of television I saw last year, but...like Heather said, it's just so incredibly depressing. 2nd watch, and it's final episode still considerably reduces your will to live. I'm still looking forward to what Torchwood: The New World will bring, and I hope it's as different to Children of Earth as CoE was to series 1 and 2, but still recognisably Torchwood. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any news!
    this is were we disagree (dont we always) i did't find it depressing, not like series 1

While CoE was more dramatic, i loved watching it and could watch till the cows come home as they say

Whereas series 1 was just pants, and it was only my loyalty to Dr Who that kept me watching. I feel they built it up beautifully - series 2 being a much better series and then CoE climaxing the series. Yes i had tears in my eyes for most of the last episodes of CoE - but this was because i care.

Series 1, was a real toil for me and it was this series that made me lose the will to live. I had tears in my eyes but mostly because i felt they had ruined the dr who franchise - i was happily proved wrong, but it was a shame they started so badly

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Bill Pullman (Ruthless People, Independence Day) has signed on to star in the upcoming fourth season of Torchwood as a regular. Pullman — who joins series stars John Barrowman, Eva Myles and the just-cast Mekhi Phifer — will play Oswald Jones,
    Spoiler:
    a dangerously clever convicted murderer who escapes his lifelong prison sentence on a technicality and quickly becomes a media sensation. Genuinely repentant yet boiling with lust and rage, Oswald gets caught up in a terrifying worldwide crisis
    . Torchwood's fourth season will air stateside on Starz in a co-production deal with the BBC. Pullman's only major previous primetime gig was on NBC's 2005 limited series Revelations.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Bloody hell. They're getting more talent from the US than I first thought! I'm surprised. I would've thought they would've gone for more unknown actors, not actors like Bill Pullman. Sounds pretty impressive so far. Can't wait to see how The New World pans out. Who knows, it could be one of the few US versions of a UK show that's actually good! (Wait, it's still got John Barrowman playing Captain Jack Harkness in it: of course it'll be better than most US adaptations of UK shows!)

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

So now I'm not looking as forward to it as I barely did before. Bill Pullman? Seriously? He's a rather bland actor imo. I'll still watch and give it a chance but I don't have any hopes for it lasting now.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

oh dont worry, Torchwood will weild its magic.

maybe they will mercilessly take the piss out of him?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, brilliant! Simple, but effective! Also, great use of a Lou Reed song!

My only problem? "A Starz original programme." Bollocks it is! Yes, it's co-produced by Starz, but no credit to the BBC? Nothing remotely like "A BBC/Starz original programme," or even, "Based on the hit BBC series?"

Sorry, i just get a little protective of my favourite UK shows. On the plus side, at least the remnants of the old Torchwood tune are still there. And that line of, "The last death on planet Earth was recorded...", said over the image of the Earth as a ticking time bomb...shit, that gave me the chills! Something tells me Children of Earth is gonna seem like a right proper cheerfest compared to what this story's going to put us through!

- Melike

Can't wait!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone been watching this? Still mad that we have to wait a week before we get to see out own show, but hey ho

Here are my thoughts after 2 episodes

Its different from the previous series, but Children of the Earth was different from series 1 and 2. I am enjoying the new show, its not Torchwood of old in my opinion, but its ok. Its def become americanised(you cant argue with that) and the two main stars do not have nearly enough screen time, (at the moment they seem like secondary characters) however I am hoping that they come into it more and more. As I said, its an ok show, but it seems to have lost the Torchwood edge. I will keep watching though as its not nearly as bad as some make out

Any thoughts from you guys

Country
    Country Flag

I liked last night's ep.
    Spoiler:
    Jack and the bartender WOW!
    It's gotten better - the first ep just kinda set everything up. And Pullman has surprised me. It's certainly a different show than the original but it's grown on me.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

your a week ahead of me grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(am not grring you sweetie, just the PTB)

But I agree Bill Pullman is just spectacular, I could watch him all night long. He looks gross, and he is actually a really good looking bloke!!

Country
    Country Flag

Right you are about Pullman! He's so slimy that I really want to hurt him. I never would have thought it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast