Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Parts of Wizard and Glass

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    No, the Walter cameo in Wizard and Glass.
    'Put the beanshooter away,' the man in black said. 'We're friends here, I tell you - absolutely palsy-walsy. We'll break bread and speak of many things - oxen and oil tankers and whether or not Fran Sinatra really was a better crooner than Der Bingle.'
    Wizard and Glass Chapter IV part 13

Hyuk hyuk!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

CHARYOU TREE!

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Rhea is ... not as bad as the "love story" - and I wanted to like it. I want to love Roland's love because I love Roland. {John Belushi voice} But nooooooooo. It had to be plodding, heavy-handed, and smarmy. {/John Belushi voice} Rhea I can stand in small does though the extended parts with her could be tedious.

Ooo, other parts I liked were the ones with Eldred Jonas. It was cool to see what became of at least one failed gunslinger.
    So... so you're basically saying you didn't like this book. Hahah, because to my understanding, that was kind of the whole story of the back story of Roland's trials and tribulations as a gunslinger.

I mean the ball, the "glass" was half the point, if I took it right. I mean no offense by this, but this post kind of made me scratch my head. Okay so there obviously was the story of Jonas and all that, but to say that Rhea's story is "not as bad as the love story".. Basically, just say you didn't like W&G.

I could go one further and say someone who thinks that, doesn't quite like the story of the Dark Tower, but... nah.

This is ALL just my perspective, don't take this as a cut down or an insult to your intelligence. It's just, that's a very integral part of the story, and in fact the essence and reason for Roland being as he is.

But just in case,

Peace?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

since my entire perspective has changed with this reread i think i'll just post me a little post here.

some fav parts:

*the first tet's confrontation with jonas' tet in the traveller's rest
    *all the wizard of oz parts
    *"Oh, Christ. I left the world I knew to watch a kid try to put booties on a fucked-up weasel. Shoot me, Roland, before I breed."
    *travelling in the pink one, by which i mean the grapefruit
    *killing that motherfucker blaine

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, so there are people out there who like the Oz part. It's good to know it.

Roland would have understood.

John F. Kennedy mate211 is on a distinguished road mate211's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When Roland's ka-tet saved Sheemi.Awsome part
    The book:

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

since I just read it, I like the part when they get back on the beam and there's Susan's new and improved wheelchair...."there was mud on the tires"...Papa may have won the Nobel and I enjoyed what he wrote, but it's amazing how easy he is to parody....I liked the whole concept of the thinny...everything about the pink...cool...didn't know what to make of Jake's old lady's name, now Megan...Julie in The Drawing of the Three...there's something about one of the buildings at Citgo that calls to mind It...I like the image of Rhea as a "walking skeleton"...check out Frost's poem, "The Witch of Coos" when you get a chance...the Citgo building...h'mmm...where was Roland's and Susan's child conceived?....read somewhere that folk think/thought Sheemie is a black man...but somehow his "face had gone an alarming shade of red"...maybe when Susan kissed him...go figure...and does she meet Walter in the streets of Mejis before she springs the three amigos?...something about a "dim figure"...but dunno, maybe one ought not to embark on a career of writing erotic westerns, given the reaction by some...yeah, "shoot me, before I breed"...a hoot.

Traveler taniatank1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Loving Wizard & Glass

I'm a third of the way through the Wizard and Glass and I'm loving getting to know more about Roland's past and his friends Cuthbert & Alain. I know that at some point Cuthbert and Alain will both die - but I hope it isn't in this book, I really like their characters and will be sad to see them go. Can't wait for the end battle which is being built up to now - in fact taking my book and my self for a long bath to finish it.

Gunslinger Apprentice <ô> bango skank <ô> is on a distinguished road <ô> bango skank <ô>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

when Cuthbert lays one on Roland. hell yeah
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

Traveler jackiejdajda is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I am new to the site..

The first time I went through The Dark Tower series I sort of skipped this book.. (Wizard and Glass)

I read the important parts but that was it.. I seem to remember Stephen King writing or saying somewhere that he did not think he was good at writing romance.. and this gave me an excuse to just sort of move on.. and get to the next book..

Now I have the whole series on audio and on my mp3 player and I am listening to all of it..

The visuals are wonderful.

Jackie

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Right now, some of my favorite moments are the ones where Cuthbert or Alain do something unexpectedly funny/endearing, like Alain's triumphant "Hurrah!" and Cuthbert mimicking the Nordite's accent at him. I like the fact that they're still dorky kids somewhere under the gunslinger part - kids, that is, that can then go on to and fight an awesome battle with the odds against them (also one of the best parts of the book: any of the three's various 'encounters' with Eldred + the others! Especially the last one. )

Traveler jackiejdajda is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

While listening to the book yesterday I was determined to get into the story and have done so. This thread is helping me.

When Stephen King ended The Waste Lands I was so disappointed that he ended it like he did..

I am thinking I read it before he had written Wizard and Glass (1997) and I wanted so very badly to get on with the journey.. and when the book finally came out it was a side trip to me in my thinking..

Now that I have the whole series together I am going to slow down..

The Stand.. I always loved The Stand.. I read it a long time ago and have never forgotten it.. It was first published in 1978.. I see in Wikipedia that this book is very much a part of the whole story..

Jackie

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I am thinking I read it before he had written Wizard and Glass (1997) and I wanted so very badly to get on with the journey.. and when the book finally came out it was a side trip to me in my thinking..
    It's funny because the first time I read it, when it turned into a flashback I was disappointed. I really wanted the quest toward the Tower to continue. But then the book started to get really good, and then I was disappointed that there wasn't more flashback!

I think that at first it's pretty hard to break away from the main DT storyline...plus it has the mushy romance factor which is a possible turn-off I guess.

Now I have the whole series on audio and on my mp3 player and I am listening to all of it..

Yes, listening to the audiobook w/ my bf (new to the series) was a treat, the narrator is perfect for the mood.

Traveler Dan-Tete is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My favourite part of the book is when Roland is watching Susan in the glam. The way King describes Roland's animalistic roaring - "Not even the word 'no'" I can't imagine the pain and horror he must be feeling, espeically with the glam draining him, feeding off those feelings.

I almost wish Cuthbert had shot the blasted thing. Although I did like it when Alain went to stamp on it, and Cuthbert said there's been too much death and sorrow to just destroy it.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jackiejdajda View Post
    I am new to the site..

The first time I went through The Dark Tower series I sort of skipped this book.. (Wizard and Glass)

I read the important parts but that was it.. I seem to remember Stephen King writing or saying somewhere that he did not think he was good at writing romance.. and this gave me an excuse to just sort of move on.. and get to the next book..

Jackie

I'd love to get the audio series. Are tehy read by a celebrity or just a normal person?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

[quote=ola;407552]
    I think that at first it's pretty hard to break away from the main DT storyline...plus it has the mushy romance factor which is a possible turn-off I guess.
    I think that the fact that it's hard to break away from the main storyline makes it all more amazing that a whole book is dedicated to Roland's past, and you can't deny, it's something that's needed in order to understand why Roland always seems so... tired. Not just physically, but emotionally as well. After losing his one true love, at the age of fourteen... you can understand how that could turn anyone into Roland.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My favourite part of this book was the way King describes Roland seeing Susan burn through the Wizard glass. The amount of pain and heartache I felt from that small paragraph was overwhelming, and I'm not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye.

There was no word, not even no, in his screams at the end: he howled like a gutted animal, his hands welded to the ball, which beat like a runaway heart. He watched in it as she burned.
    That is, above all, my favourite paragraph in the entire book.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

one of my favorite parts is when Cuthbert socks Roland a good left to get him back to his senses.

Traveler rolandesch is on a distinguished road rolandesch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict. I felt so terrified when I read that Roland turned to see Alain and Cuthbert hand-in-hand facing the thinny and walking towards it. I can't imagine what was going through their minds.

Next thing you know, Cuthbert's narrowly avoided being disintegrated, as the end of his boot is gone completely. Soon enough Farson's men rush into the canyon only to be taken in by the green misty swampish thinny, as it grows arms and drags them in. I almost feel bad for the horses, seeing as they are the first ones to be consumed by the thinny.

At the end, the men in the canyon resignedly walk into the thinny "willingly"...

Terrifying scene; one I would love to see in a movie one day.

I still have no clue what the thinny truly was.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rolandesch View Post
    I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict. I felt so terrified when I read that Roland turned to see Alain and Cuthbert hand-in-hand facing the thinny and walking towards it. I can't imagine what was going through their minds.

Next thing you know, Cuthbert's narrowly avoided being disintegrated, as the end of his boot is gone completely. Soon enough Farson's men rush into the canyon only to be taken in by the green misty swampish thinny, as it grows arms and drags them in. I almost feel bad for the horses, seeing as they are the first ones to be consumed by the thinny.

At the end, the men in the canyon resignedly walk into the thinny "willingly"...

Terrifying scene; one I would love to see in a movie one day.

I still have no clue what the thinny truly was.
    Good Point!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict.
    LOL, now I am shocked too! I hope nobody mentioned it only because it goes without saying

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict.
    LOL, now I am shocked too! I hope nobody mentioned it only because it goes without saying
    Equally shocked. May not have been my favorite, but I'd certainty is in the top 5.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cuthbert.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

As there is no thread specific to what parts of W&G one might not like, I'm putting mine in this one. A very important book in the series, which makes it all the more perplexing to me why it was written the way it was. The book exists in two parts: what I would call "conclusion of The Waste Lands," and the extended portion with the dialogue in dialect that comes after.
    {The problem I will describe hereinafter is mine, and I make no claim that it renders the book invalid in some way.}
    The issue is that I just can't stand extended dialogue / dialect writing as King engages in. I'm not saying that it's in some way literarily bad, or that King does it badly. It simply interferes with my suspension of disbelief, if you will, that trick of the mind that enables us to immerse ourselves in fiction. And that's all there is to it.
    My re-reading of W&G therefore consisted of proceeding to the point of Roland's beginning his retrospective, then jumping ahead to the end: the loss of his first ka-tet, and the denouement of the thinny trap. It's not very satisfactory, but it enables me to read the book with some enjoyment.

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

After reading through the thread I still cannot decide which part of W&G is my favorite. The showdown at the saloon was great obviously and was the first time we got to see the young gunslingers show what they were made of. Beyond that, I think one of my favorite parts is towards the end when Jonas captures Susan at the shack while she is waiting for Roland and the others to return. There is mention before this, but it is at this point where I (the reader) really starts to get a feel for what is about to happen to Susan. My heart started to sink as I was reading the part where Jonas hits her to the ground. Then when Sheemie comes out and decides to follow Susan instead of going to look for Roland it became even more obvious the tragedy that was about to befall the love story of Roland and Susan. W&G is one of my favorite books of all time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast