Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Parts of Wizard and Glass

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Rhea is ... not as bad as the "love story" - and I wanted to like it. I want to love Roland's love because I love Roland. {John Belushi voice} But nooooooooo. It had to be plodding, heavy-handed, and smarmy. {/John Belushi voice} Rhea I can stand in small does though the extended parts with her could be tedious.

Ooo, other parts I liked were the ones with Eldred Jonas. It was cool to see what became of at least one failed gunslinger.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love ALL of it, but I guess . . . the final showdown in the canyon near the thinny! Nothing like Farson's forces vs. Roland, Alain and Cuthbert.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part was the incident at the Traveler's Rest with the Big Coffin Hunters, by far. You just KNEW what was going to happen!

John

Traveler dante is on a distinguished road dante's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've just finished this book, and am waiting for Wolves to be delivered tomorrow from Amazon.

My head's still a little spinny from finishing this one, given it's such an epic telling of young Roland and his life before his quest for the Tower.

My favourite parts, just off the top of my head, are probably right near the end when the new Ka-tet look into the glass and see Roland kill Gabrielle, and when they realise they're in a version of Kansas and read about Captain Trips in the newspaper.

I love how King crosses his stories over, in fact it's one of the things I love most about reading his work. I like that moment of 'Ah! I remember him/her/that' when a character or event from one story crops up in another.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dante View Post
    I've just finished this book, and am waiting for Wolves to be delivered tomorrow from Amazon.

My head's still a little spinny from finishing this one, given it's such an epic telling of young Roland and his life before his quest for the Tower.

My favourite parts, just off the top of my head, are probably right near the end when the new Ka-tet look into the glass and see Roland kill Gabrielle, and when they realise they're in a version of Kansas and read about Captain Trips in the newspaper.

I love how King crosses his stories over, in fact it's one of the things I love most about reading his work. I like that moment of 'Ah! I remember him/her/that' when a character or event from one story crops up in another.
    Great choices.. and ohhhhhhhhh if your head is spinning now...just wait!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I don't know what's wrong with me, but my favorite part of the book was the very end, with all the Oz connections....

That and the connections with The Stand at the beginning....

Speaking of, I notice there's no Connections article for Wizard and Glass.

Why is this, exactly...? Is it just to avoid repeating oneself in the article for The Stand, or what is it? (I noticed there were none for ANY Dark Tower books....)

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Because the Tower Connections page is to state how books not in the series are "connected" to the seven DT books. So, I believe, those seven are only listed on the page. After all, of course DT4 is connected to the DT series...

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

"It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Because the Tower Connections page is to state how books not in the series are "connected" to the seven DT books. So, I believe, those seven are only listed on the page. After all, of course DT4 is connected to the DT series...
    Okay, I'll buy that.

But answer me this: if that's the case, why are there links for the Dark Tower books at all?

Country
    Country Flag

You'll have to ask management about that. I just know the obvious things....that the books in the series are clearly connected to the series.

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    You'll have to ask management about that. I just know the obvious things....that the books in the series are clearly connected to the series.
    Well, duh....

If you can't even figure that out, then what the heck are you doing here...?

Country
    Country Flag

Ok then. Back to our regularly scheduled discussions....the ones that actually matter...

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved the part where Shemmie was cursing at his donkey. It was so funny to see how that innocent guy realised how good it could be to use nasty words.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Favorite part is when they find the newspaper from 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Favorite part is when they find the newspaper from 1999.
    One of my favorite parts also. It gives me chills everytime I read it.

Traveler jonnyp76 is on a distinguished road

Default closing the year

closin the year 1 is my favourite part of wizard and glass . its just pure genius . im readig it 2nd time around trouble is when i get to the end im gonna wanna finish the rest.
    stevo u the man

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey johnnyp--welcome to the site.

I agree, that is an amazing part.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was the newspaper from 1999? I thought it was from the 1980s (but I might be wrong. It would make sense since the events of the Stand happened in 1999 (at least the abridged version did) but the fact it was 1980s made me think this is actually a different world to Stand world, albeit one where similar things happen, including the characters. A world of the same events but in a different time-frame as it were.

This also led me to believe, maybe the version of Flagg was different,
    Spoiler:
    which would explain the apparent disparity between Flagg's history in The Stand and the Dark Tower counterpart

... but that's off topic.

Anyway, I agree the newspaper, and indeed the whole Superflu world segment was great. I also loved that little cameo when Walter freaks out Jonas. Great stuff.

There are a lot of other parts I like too, but those'll do for now.

The newspaper was from 1986 and the Superflu outbreak in the original version of The Stand took place in either 1979 or 1980 and the one in the unedited version took place in 1990. All different levels of the Tower...

The Walter cameo My favorite.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    The Walter cameo My favorite.

?

??

Forgot your tampon?

Country
    Country Flag

Were you referring to a Walter cameo in The Stand?

No, the Walter cameo in Wizard and Glass.

Country
    Country Flag

Ok. That makes a little more sense.

Traveler Indigo_Seven is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Too many to choose...

Some are: Roland's stand against Blaine,

The aftermath of Roland's story when Eddie and Susannah speak about Susan's death,

"There he is, Fran Lengyll, head of the Horseman's Association, as low a sneak as ever walked! Low as Coyote sh_t!",

Roland daring Jonas to shoot him, and effectively beating him before any firefight begins,

Roland defending his decision to fight Cort to his Father,

And probably my favourite, for pure simplicity:

"You've forgotten the face of your father, you scurrying little maggot"

Oh, and I love the fake newspaper, too. Flagg is hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast