Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Roland - General discussion

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Roland only seems to pray to them when it suits what he's doing. He is rather odd but I would not say he is religious at all. Roland only seems to care about the Tower and
    Spoiler:
    if the Tower is Gan
    , that is just a side note to Roland.
    quite

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I didn't remember that part. I mean the praying. Moreover to tell you the truth I don't remember it now, either
    Must have been reading a different DT7 than I did, because its a pretty important prayer and wonderful and with an obvious strong belief behind it.

Spoiler:
    "Time flies, knells call, life passes, so hear my prayer.
    "Birth is nothing but death begun, so hear my prayer.
    "Death is speechless, so hear my speech."
    "This is Jake, who served his ka and his tet. Say true.
    "May the forgiving glance of S'mana heal his heart. Say true.
    "May the arms of Gan raise him from the darkness of this earth. Say please.
    "Surround him, Gan, with light.
    "Fill him, Chloe, with strength.
    "If he is thirsty, give him water in the clearing.
    "If he is hungry, give him food in the clearing.
    "May his life on this earth and the pain of his passing become as a dream to his waking soul, and let his eyes fall upon every lovely sight; let him find the freinds that were lost to him, and let every one whose name he calls call his in return.
    "This is Jake, who lived well, loved his own, and died as ka would have it.
    "Each man owes a death. This is Jake. Give him peace."

So even though Roland says "I don't hold to any god" its obvious he does from this prayer. And definitely no "sidenote" to him either.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I just read that again two days ago CK. I agree, that its a powerful passage.

What about the Manni? It seems to me that Roland really respects them, although he clearly disagrees about certain things (like Henchick's disowning of his daughter). I always found the scenes where Roland interacted with them extremely interesting. Like a diatribe between two equals.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I didn't remember that part. I mean the praying. Moreover to tell you the truth I don't remember it now, either
    Must have been reading a different DT7 than I did, because its a pretty important prayer and wonderful and with an obvious strong belief behind it.

Spoiler:
    "Time flies, knells call, life passes, so hear my prayer.
    "Birth is nothing but death begun, so hear my prayer.
    "Death is speechless, so hear my speech."
    "This is Jake, who served his ka and his tet. Say true.
    "May the forgiving glance of S'mana heal his heart. Say true.
    "May the arms of Gan raise him from the darkness of this earth. Say please.
    "Surround him, Gan, with light.
    "Fill him, Chloe, with strength.
    "If he is thirsty, give him water in the clearing.
    "If he is hungry, give him food in the clearing.
    "May his life on this earth and the pain of his passing become as a dream to his waking soul, and let his eyes fall upon every lovely sight; let him find the freinds that were lost to him, and let every one whose name he calls call his in return.
    "This is Jake, who lived well, loved his own, and died as ka would have it.
    "Each man owes a death. This is Jake. Give him peace."

So even though Roland says "I don't hold to any god" its obvious he does from this prayer. And definitely no "sidenote" to him either.
    You know the problem is that I read the whole book during 2 or 3 days. I shouldn't have read it so damn fast...
    And thank you for the quote now it rings the bell.

Roland would have understood.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Roland's Birthday... Roland's Age *spoilers*

In WAG, on reaping day, Roland says he would be 15 come next moonrise. Could someone tell me what "next moonrise" means, and what time of year that would be? Thanks.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not got a clue. I would say probably around September or October

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I would suppose that it means the next full moon, which varies depending on the time of year(on our level of the tower, it could be different on his).

Here's a table of lunar phases:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_lunar_phases

Of course, he could have also just meant the next night when the moon came up as well.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Oh, and he also may have meant the end of the harvest season when Demon Moon is full, which is what Reaptide celebrates.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Well i always imagined reaping at halowe'en myself.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Well why don't we do an analysis of his character and check the zodiacs and see which one he is

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't imagine Roland next to a big birthday cake with tons of candles on it.

I can't imagine Roland next to a big birthday cake with tons of candles on it.
    Really, that's unimaginable - just imagine the look in his face (and, by the way, which would be the number of candles over the cake?)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

19 ... regardless of his age
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Well why don't we do an analysis of his character and check the zodiacs and see which one he is
    Well, of course I'm just guessing here, but I'd guess he'd be an aries if he'd been born under our stars.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default Roland's voice?

In which volume do we find out what his voice sounds like? I can't recall reading that anywhere.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

If it's after W&G don't say too much about it because I don't want anyone to spoil it. If it's BEFORE, then I'll have to look for it again.

Country
    Country Flag

To tell you the truth I don't think it was described anywhere... maybe in some words but I don't remember. Anyway it's not easy to describe a voice at all.
    He must have a very strong, deep, distinctive voice.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I picture him sounding like Yul Brynner.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Yul Brynner?

If you do a YouTube search for Yul Breynner, this is one of the things that comes up:
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hqj-GYz3gho"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hqj-GYz3gho[/ame]

Mwahaha, change the number from 7 to 4 and you're golden.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Ok but seriously, on topic here...
    I don't remember ever reading a description of Roland's voice.
    In my mind it's not deep, however.
    It's kind.
    And genuine.
    But can be gruff when he needs to (/wants to) be.

I know that's not really a description of how a voice sounds, but that's how I hear it anyways. It's hard to explain...

I don't recall his voice being described, but in my head he sounds like Clint Eastwood, and even if there's something in the books that goes completely counter to that, it won't change.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I hear him like Clint too - kinda guy who moves his mouth as little as possible when he talks.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think his voice was described either. But I hear his voice as being deep and forcefull

Country
    Country Flag

I think of his voice like how my dad speaks. I can't really describe it, but when i ever think of Roland, i think he's just like my dad xD, i'll get you guys a picture sometime, the only one i have is him in his RAF gear when he was in Iraq.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland sounds exactly like Pee Wee Herman.

I'm pretty sure it never says what his voice sounds like. Almost as sure as I am that my first statement is NOT true.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast