Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Roland - General discussion

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree, it's just a perspective.

I think I'd probably do it to a bird if I had to, but not a boy.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sacrifice is sacrifice I think...if there is a god (which at least for the purpose of the story we must accept). Sacrificing even one for the masses (even if it's all of creation) isn't the way to save anything. The reality about a greater good is there never is one if it doesn't rely on each individual.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree on every single level of the Tower Brice-great post.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes Brice, you wonderful old hippie, beautifully put

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Bumbler19 is on a distinguished road

I said he can make love with any woman he meets, i mean... he can hypnotize people pretty damn well. XD

But if would he is the question... I would say Roland is for the most part an Opportunist, He is going to take whoever is easiest, and less of a hassle or will get him something in return (IE: older divorced/widow) At least he is this way at his adult age.

Younger, I would say he needs feeling... the whore... was just like... ya know, making sure you knew what you were doing when you did it the first time with the one you love.

IMO

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I think in every instance except Rosa and Susan, he basically just had sex with them and THEN developed which way or not of whether he loved them, so it was definitely more sex than making love.

Traveler klokateer is on a distinguished road

Default How old is Roland? *spoilers

(sorry if this has been brought up before, I used search to the best of my ability)

How old do you think Roland is?

!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!

Given the cyclical nature of his quest, my mind is apt to fold under the weight of the task of assuming his age.

What are you best guesses/hypothesis?

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi klokateer and welcome to the site.

Personally, I think Roland is ageless at this point in his quest. His body may possibly be of a man in his forties but how can one actually know? we don't know for sure how many times he's been on his path.

EDIT:

I know this is a really big thread but it is filled with all sorts of good stuff. Take a good ten minutes and go through it when you have a chance.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Traveler klokateer is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the direction, and you're thoughts.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Time and the world having moved on I tend to agree with maerlyn here.
    Spoiler:
    Roland is confronted with a situation that keeps liner time from counting in my
    estimation.

Whether 40 or 400 yrs , he is the same man , until he learns what he needs to proceed.

PS Is there another thread with this topic? I think a merge may be coming on

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bears love everyone who has ever asked this question! How Old Is Roland was the first thread I started at .net... memories...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Bears love everyone who has ever asked this question! How Old Is Roland was the first thread I started at .net... memories...
    And did you get an answer then?

Roland would have understood.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i agree that time i linear, however i believe roland is getting on in years when we first meet him - i believe he is in his fifties

i keep trying to do a spoiler wrap but its not showing, so let me just say i have my reasons

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    And did you get an answer then?
    Much the same as what we can see here. Finally, I found solace in idle speculations, as bears often do.

candy: highlight the text you want to be spoiler marked, and click on the radioactive button. Or else, just type those tags around the text:

[spoiler]text text text [/ spoiler]

- without space after /

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jareth's Goblin Queen soylentjillian is on a distinguished road soylentjillian's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can forgive him for using Susanna and Jake and Eddie and Oy as mere tools to reach his end,
    Spoiler:
    because he doesn't know that the whole cycle will again start and they will be used again.

I can forgive him because he never knew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Then, I call you Goblin Queen.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by soylentjillian View Post
    I can forgive him for using Susanna and Jake and Eddie and Oy as mere tools to reach his end,
    Spoiler:
    because he doesn't know that the whole cycle will again start and they will be used again.

I can forgive him because he never knew.
    But why does it make any difference? I mean he did it. He used people. He killed people. He made lots of mistakes... For me it doesn't matter what happens to him at the end. (Still I say I can forgive him but not because of the end at all.)
    So why does it make any difference for you?

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I see nothing to forgive,altho' I could easily forgive him anything.
    To forgive a thing is the first step in overcoming it.
    Great question again Letti, and Brice? You rock!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My answer is pretty straight forward, i think there is nothing to forgive him for

Roland came forward as nothing but a projectile, a brainless missile programmed to launch the body he was in at the man in black the instant he saw him
    As we are reminded throughout the books Roland is a man of little imagination who with his
    damned guns, slow head and quick hands
    does everything he has been trained to ,he reacts instinctivly to most situations and does whatever is needed in order to see his goal achieved.

His sacrafices are acceptable considering the stakes are all wordls across all levels of the tower, for Roland the end truly justifies the means.

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could forgive Roland because for the most part he is being used by the Tower as much as he uses anyone else, if not more. He did come a long way through the course of the series.
    DT

That's my opinion, anyway. Great thread!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to say in his mid-30s.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well the only way i've been judging Rolands age is with the fall of Gilead - and i really like to think that it was thousands of years before we met Roland in The Gunslinger...

Spoiler:
    i need someone to talk with about Roland i can't make out my mind about some things

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

what would you like to talk about mad man?

in regards to rolands age, i still feel he was older due to
    Spoiler:
    the arthritis that affects him later in the series, the way he is described is also i feel as an older gentleman but young enough to still thrill the ladies - therefore 50s came to mind as athritis is not usuallya young persons desease -

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

about Roland and the loop I can't make up my mind how should i think about it...
    Spoiler:

Is Roland older with each "loop"? Or will the dark tower take him back in time? Will he get a new body every time? If he gets a new body then it's kinda maddening - he forgets everything also so it would be like a 100% new start with the small add from the dark tower. Or does he start the new turn with his old body? If so then arthritis would get him killed - and the lack of fingers i have a whole bunch of these questions maddening me and i can't find an explained answer to any of those

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

The point made by Candy is one I've not considered, oddly enough, in concern with his age. I've always imagined him as a man is his late 30's, early 40's. Although his
    Spoiler:
    arthritis
    makes me think, now, that he is possibly a little older. It could be mere coincidence, however. The fact that he's a gunslinger, also, could've been part of the reason he developed it at an (arguably) early age.

I think the fact that we're not sure of his age is a good thing - it leaves room for speculation, and we can add our own input, and perceptions into the story. A little mystery is always a good thing, imo.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast