Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it a good book for children?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Is it a good book for children?

This question always makes me think.. I was about 12 when I started to read this series. First I would say NO it's not a good book children and maybe under 16 or 15 it's useless to start to read it.
    But as I am thinking of it.. in this running world where children have no real heroes and they can hear nasty words from everywhere.. and there are so many children out there who (because of different good and bad reasons) have to get serious quite early I say... I have changed my mind a little bit.
    I can't say it's a bad book for them... but is it good? I don't really know.

I am listening to you guys.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

I'd wait until they were at least 13, unless they were mature for their age, but no younger than 12.

I do not say this because of the foul language and graphic violence (children can see this at any time in any television show, movie, or internet site), but because of the message it is trying to put out there.

I'm not sure a child would be able to understand and grasp the message of TDT. Even at thirteen some children would struggle, but I feel with the proper help and explanations, they'd be able to get through it fine.
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nameless View Post
    I'd wait until they were at least 13, unless they were mature for their age, but no younger than 12.

I do not say this because of the foul language and graphic violence (children can see this at any time in any television show, movie, or internet site), but because of the message it is trying to put out there.

I'm not sure a child would be able to understand and grasp the message of TDT. Even at thirteen some children would struggle, but I feel with the proper help and explanations, they'd be able to get through it fine.
    This is pretty much how I feel Nameless. You said it better than I was going to. I will say though that any book that a child reads is a good book, especially at 12 or 13.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it depends on the kid. I was an advanced reader, so I could probably have started around 10 or 11. But, I think if you're a bit older, the message makes more sense.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Daghain, good point. If I were speaking for myself, I'd say hand it to the kid at age 8 or 9. But if it's for the so-called 'average' kid, wait until 13, 14 earliest.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd say no, because of the graphic nature of it. Sure, they can see it other places, but that doesn't make it okay.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, reading violence is one thing. Seeing it is another. Imitating behaviour is easier when it was acted out and not scripted in a dramatic setting.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I wouldn't mind a child of mine reading it at any age. While it's true some of the concepts might be a bit big for a child's mind they may just find their way to the concepts because of the book. Even if they don't understand it all they are reading and that's always a good thing by my thinking.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I read my first King book around 12 (Christine) - I'd say thats a reasonable age to try and tackle a series like DT.

I wouldn't give it to a younger child because I don't think they'd have the ability/experience to cope with the anxiety they might feel from reading some of the more violent, graphic or frightening parts - and from experience I can say its preferable not to have to wake up at 3am because your kids' having nightmares

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i read the gunslinger for the first time at the age of nine. at that time, i was already reading at a 15.5 level. (junior at university, halfway through the year.) i didn't have a hard time with it. as far as the concepts that are in it go, i may not have understood everything, but i was in my 20s when it was finished...i had plenty of time to re-read and fully grasp everything.

would i give it to my sons at such a young age? probably not. but then, i wouldn't let my oldest watch sid and nancy with me, either (i watched it at a very young age with my dad). it's one of the things i'm doing differently with my kids.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have kids, so while I sympathise with those who had to get up at 2am because of nightmares, I have to say again it depends on the kid.

I don't give my parents credit for being exceptionally understanding or intelligent when it came to books - my father worked in a blue collar job at GM, and probably barely read the paper, much less anything else. My mother read to us as kids, Dr. Seuss, etc., but she really never bothered to look at what we were reading when we got older. i read The Thorn Birds when I was 12 (it was on the bookshelf; my mother didn't realize I'd read it until it was too late lol) but I "got" the majority of it. I was reading Vonnegut for fun in 10th grade (I reread him when I was older, and got a totally different meaning out of it - I think that's the "fun" of going back to books when you're older - you get a totally different perspective) and my first SK book was The Shining at the age of 13. Scared the hell out of me, and I ran down to the bookstore to see what else he had written.

My sister, 1 1/2 years younger, had nightmares for months after being taken to see Jaws. She still can't stand scary movies. Also, she was never a big reader, and sticks to Danielle Steele novels when she does read. Nothing wrong with that; but proof that two kids that have the same parents and grow up in the same house can be completely different.

So yeah, depends on the kid. Personally, in some alternate universe where I had a kid, I would let him/her read whatever I had in the house. I would like to think that I would be a cool enough parent to be able to explain anything the kid might ask me about (although I never did this with my parents; I suspected they wouldn't "get" it).

Then again, I love reading so much I got a degree in English Lit, so I love a good book discussion!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with what most people above said. I think it totally depends on the child as one can be much more advanced at certain ages than others. But overall, I'd say about 12 or so is a good age to start something like the Dark Tower.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i read the gunslinger for the first time at the age of nine. at that time, i was already reading at a 15.5 level. (junior at university, halfway through the year.)
    . . .
    Yeah--I was the same way level-wise. Maybe that could be the basis of my bias.

Gunslinger Apprentice sai delgado is on a distinguished road sai delgado's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

it definately depends on how advanced they are at reading, as there will be some who will understand dt whereas there will be many who won't.
    If the dt series was condensed into a really simple form it would make an excellent fairy tale type story for really young children!
    'He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.' Herman Hesse

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with all those who think there can't be no age limit defined once and forever for all children; and I especially agree with Brice that even if a child doesn't understand now what he will understand later, something will remain, and if the book is good, the something will be good, too. I read all kinds of book since before the age of 3, and, re-reading them as a grownup, was usually surprised to find out they were very different from they seemed to be when I read them as a child; but the residue of imagery, emotions, even ideas, and some general cultural context was what remained from those first readings, and in essence was true.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

When I was in my 10-teens we were expected to read things like "The Outsiders". I think the level of violence in books like those and "Lord of the Flies" is about on par with the series.

Meaning, hell yeah, let your kid read them if they want to. A kid wanting to tackle something like what I have listed above at the age of nine or ten should be encouraged imo.

**can't believe how many people he comes across these days who simply don't read**
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I would be happy a kid was reading anything anymore.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'd have to agree with everyone who has already said that it agrees on the kid, their reading level, and their maturity.

I would certainly not give the series to my eight year old niece, who still has trouble reading and thinks it's funny to say "weinie". And I certainly couldn't see giving the series to Paris anytime soon, because I wouldn't want to answer questions about certain things in the series, like Detta's foul mouth {Mommy whats a white candlestick?} or the sexual aspects. I'd say a good age for any kid would be around 12-13, if they're very mature, and 15-16 if they're at a "normal" maturity level.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    . . .
    Mommy whats a white candlestick?
    . . .

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think some of the adult interactions in the series would be difficult for a 10-12 year old to understand - perhaps it wouldnt be damaging, but it would muddy the experience I guess.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't necessarily give the book to a young child but, I also wouldn't tell a child of any age they couldn't/shouldn't read it or any other book. I believe in very little (if any) censorship with children personally and if they are reading I always view that as a good thing. As for nightmares they will have those any way. Books or movies don't really cause those at all I don't think. A child's very vivid imaginations cause those. I'd be more likely to be concerned with a movie's visual representations of sex or violence than anything in any book. I think they are quite capable of deciding for them selves what they can deal with. If my (hypothetical) child had a question I would answer it without exception. With that said I'd be very grateful if the kid asked:
    Originally Posted by Hannah

Mommy whats a white candlestick?
    Cause then it would be (hypothetical) Mommy's question to answer.
    . . .

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have always been very clear with this stuff..."its a nickname for a penis honey"

"What's a penis?"

"A mans sexual reproduction organ"

But my 18 year old is having a baby so it might not be the best parenting skill.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have always been very clear with this stuff..."its a nickname for a penis honey"

"What's a penis?"

"A mans sexual reproduction organ"

But my 18 year old is having a baby so it might not be the best parenting skill.

I don't think it's a bad one at all personally. I believe in answering a question as honestly and straightforward as possible.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too. I hate it when people teach kids cutesy names for body parts.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I think there's a fine line here. I would agree with Brice though, that I'd be more worried about my kid viewing inappropriate material rather than reading it. I think visuals can stick with you so much longer than the written word. Besides, if the kid has no idea what a "white candlestick" is, and has never actually seen a penis, then they can't really visualize... so maybe they just wouldn't quite understand what they were reading... whereas a visual representation of a penis in a movie, even if seen for a short time, would have so much more of an impact on someone, especially a child.

Just on a side note: Paris thinks penises grow out of the butt. I find it hard to explain otherwise to her, and she refuses to believe me. She's even taken to calling it a "butt weinie".
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast