Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is it a good book for children?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

If I ever have a kid, the first thing I am doing is teaching them to swear and flip people off.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha ha!! I remember when Sam first came out with swear words he'd over heard (around 3yrs old I guess) - he would drop them into regular conversations to see if they got a reaction In the end I sat him down and said "Every single one of those words is just a different way of saying something...tell me the words you've heard and I'll tell you what they mean."
    Gotta say - I was quite impressed with how many he managed to come up with At the end of the list I just said, I'd rather you used the words I told you...especially in front of Grandma! And we both had a laugh about it and it broke the taboo really, he wasn't that interested after that.

My husband and I are similarly honest and open about sex with the kids, I've never been asked a question by them that I felt uncomfortable answering.

For me its the "monsters" in the books. As was said on the last page, kids are capable of creating their own monsters to have nightmares about, but thats exactly why I don't think they need to be worrying about someone elses bad guys on top of that, until they've learnt to deal with their own.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Ahaha, thats right - those cavepeoples were all up to date on their sexing

-

Probably the only real concern I would have would be with impressionable kids mimicking some of the colourful language. I personally dont have a problem with adults swearing (as long as its not in a completely inappropriate place or directed aggressively at someone) but young kids don't necessarily have the awareness to fully understand the language, or its appropriate use. But on saying this, it would be a good opportunity to teach your kid(s) about appropriate language. Empowering them to be able to read and understand it gives them the opportunity to make an informed decision.
    But what if their informed decision is that they should use language like that in what you would consider inappropriate places?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Ha ha!! I remember when Sam first came out with swear words he'd over heard (around 3yrs old I guess) - he would drop them into regular conversations to see if they got a reaction In the end I sat him down and said "Every single one of those words is just a different way of saying something...tell me the words you've heard and I'll tell you what they mean."
    Gotta say - I was quite impressed with how many he managed to come up with At the end of the list I just said, I'd rather you used the words I told you...especially in front of Grandma! And we both had a laugh about it and it broke the taboo really, he wasn't that interested after that.

My husband and I are similarly honest and open about sex with the kids, I've never been asked a question by them that I felt uncomfortable answering.

For me its the "monsters" in the books. As was said on the last page, kids are capable of creating their own monsters to have nightmares about, but thats exactly why I don't think they need to be worrying about someone elses bad guys on top of that, until they've learnt to deal with their own.
    I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly, except for the last part. I think children are much more suited to dealing with badness (both real and imaginary) than most adults are.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I think children are much more suited to dealing with badness (both real and imaginary) than most adults are.
    I think the same. I also think that it all works differently for them, and differently for every particular kid. There are things that may deeply scare a kid, while an adult won't even understand what the matter is; the opposite is true, too. As we grow old, we get a little more uniform, because we're longer exposed to education and to culture; we all agree now that Pet Sematary is horribly scary, but how can we tell why a kid is afraid of Mommy's dark-blue dressing gown or the word "abracadabra" or that ice-cream wagon? Their fears may seem unexplicable to us, and that which, in our opinion, must scare them, actually doesn't have to.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think children are much more suited to dealing with badness (both real and imaginary) than most adults are.
    I think the same. I also think that it all works differently for them, and differently for every particular kid. There are things that may deeply scare a kid, while an adult won't even understand what the matter is; the opposite is true, too. As we grow old, we get a little more uniform, because we're longer exposed to education and to culture; we all agree now that Pet Sematary is horribly scary, but how can we tell why a kid is afraid of Mommy's dark-blue dressing gown or the word "abracadabra" or that ice-cream wagon? Their fears may seem unexplicable to us, and that which, in our opinion, must scare them, actually doesn't have to.
    Yup, and I think that part of the reason they deal better is they usually have an openness that our years and experience rob from us. Adults usually try to understand their fears and put them in some kind of framework. Children have no need or use of that. There needn't be a clear rational reason for them to be afraid. They just accept things on their own terms.

If you rescue me

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly, except for the last part. I think children are much more suited to dealing with badness (both real and imaginary) than most adults are.
    Kids can be incredibly strong..

and fragile at the same time.

Roland would have understood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3