Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: It - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Traveler JayFarson is on a distinguished road

With the exception of my first reading of it, I always found it hard to get through the last 1/4 of the book. It just seems to be lacking something. But the first 3/4 are some of my favorite writings ever.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JayFarson View Post
    With the exception of my first reading of it, I always found it hard to get through the last 1/4 of the book. It just seems to be lacking something. But the first 3/4 are some of my favorite writings ever.
    I have always felt the same way about a number of King books (Insomnia and Talisman, among others) - when the fuss starts, something gets desperately lost.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gasher80 View Post
    it's been a while since i've read it but two scary parts that stick out for me was when ben was walking on the bridge and he couldn't stop looking at the balloon and pennywise was getting closer...and closer
    One of my favorite parts, that scene was just chilling.

And I agree about the end as well, however the rest of the book was so good, that it didn't take away too much for me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the book, it was one of the harder ones for me to read, but I'm gonna chalk that up to A) I had seen the movie so I somewhat had an idea of what was gonna happen. B) I read it in paperback which is nearly 1100 Pages with the print being extremely small, it felt drowning. I also thought that there was so much in it that SK could have left out and slimmed it down by a hundred pages or more. Though after I was done I was able to look back and fully appreciate it. Not sure if I'll ever re-read it but I did enjoy it when it was all said and done. A fine cast of characters and an eerie setting made it great.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it took me forever to finally work up the nerve to read It... probably because i had a fear of clowns and because the paperback is 1100 pages long. i loved it once i finally got to it tho.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IT was my first SK book i read. it was deff a bit over whelming to see all that print on a single page. But god this book is amazing

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I have always felt the same way about a number of King books (Insomnia and Talisman, among others) - when the fuss starts, something gets desperately lost.
    Maybe because he builds up so much to the climactic points, anything after is going to be a let down?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Maybe because he builds up so much to the climactic points, anything after is going to be a let down?
    No, I don't really think so; it's when he decides that the denouement should be action-packed that it is a let down (for me, I mean). For example, Misery or Duma Key do not suffer from that at all; but whatever books sacrifice inner developments for action, do. Maybe that's what JayFarson meant when he mentioned "lacking something".

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

that could be

Traveler bondosan is on a distinguished road

I'm still in the middle of It but there were some passages that struck me as more connections to the Tower. It's when Pennywise is the Paul Bunyan statue and he points his finger at Richie, the text reads "Its as big as a beam" them Richie thinks "Big as a bea-," then something happens to stop his train of that. I found that interesting but the big thing was just a bit later. Richie starts talking in what I can only call an Odetta Walker voice and it made Pennywise flinch. I know her voice made various agents of the Crimson King back off.

It also occurs to me the It shows up every 27 years. If my math is right, the next time Pennywise is to show up is 2012. I wonder if we'll see any type of It part 2 from King or other sources.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Check out the IT article in the Tower Connections section of the board when you finish reading the book

As for Richie's voice, I know what you mean by it being an "Odetta voice", but I think the power it had over It was that, doing impressions and goofing off was what made Richie happy, therefore giving him power over Pennywise who tormented through fear and lack of happiness.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

for those of you still wondering about the mental health of my co worker (the one who's scared of Clowns and borrowed IT from me to read on holidays) I regret to inform you....

that she still hasnt finished the bloody thing!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

has she at least started it yet?

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

she's started it. I think its one of these ones thats scaring the bejesus out of her, but she's determined to read it, even if it means fighting through it page by page.

Hey, I'm the supportive co worker in this. I'm helping her face her fears

There's nothing better than a good scary book. And at least she likes it enough to try to finish it.

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorite books. Scared..no still scares..me so bad that I have to keep a cutsie little quilted book-cover over it so I can't see it.

I can accept the group-sex for the various reasons mentioned, but it still feels indulgent to me.

I thought it was just the biggest ripoff ever to build up IT as the end-all-be-all of all terror and fear,
    Spoiler:
    then discover it's just a big ole spider
    ...maybe it's just because I don't find anything scary about that.

I'm there with Gasher and Heather in really falling into the story of the Black Spot.

And as for the death of the Turtle and the level of the tower.....well, there are other worlds than these, right?

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My problem is the stories don't drag on long enough. What! The End? But I suppose the people who sew books together would need to hire engineers with fresh ideas about book binding. Someone said their book fell apart.

I wonder what it is that Bev's father told her? After she unzips her jeans in the dark, she says, I know something. I know because my father told me. I know how to bring us back together. And if we're not together we'll never get out...Something that will bring us together forever.

Can't get any closer than that, I don't imagine. And maybe you can't be more human that that, or is it hooooo-man? Ben is "bewildered" by what she says. Before that, Eddie is leading them and he is "more bewildered than frightened". Love potion number nine, I dunno, maybe what Bev does is break the spell they'd been under after battling It, maybe that's a way of explaining doin' it.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

the other reference to IT still being alive is in tommyknockers when one of the people driving past derrry gets a whiff of the noxious alien gas and sees "a clown with silver eyes looking up at him from one of the drainpipes" Paraphrasing since I dont have the book near me right now
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

I don't remember that!!!!
    Of course, it's been soo long since I read Tommyknockers... anyone have the actual quote?

Along the Path of the Beam Beamer is on a distinguished road Beamer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

great book...one of my favorites. When I first red the sex scene, I was a young boy myself about the age of 11, so I thought it was wonderful, in fact I started crawling around in old sewer lines trying to find a monster to kill so I too could have sex with a girl. Well, needless to say, crawling around in sewers didnt bring the ladies, and i never found a friggin monster, i did step on several spiders that i pretended were much larger than what they actually were, but alas...still no willing girl would give me my reward...So I gave up sewer dwelling and monster hunting for good...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Appleseed
    I wonder what it is that Bev's father told her?
    I think she was referring to the "facts of life." I.e. her father had 'that talk' with her.

On saying that, he didn't come across as that kind of bloke. Wasn't he abusive to her? (In a violent way I mean... not.. oh you know...

Quote Originally Posted by flagwallkstheline
    the other reference to IT still being alive is in tommyknockers when one of the people driving past derrry gets a whiff of the noxious alien gas and sees "a clown with silver eyes looking up at him from one of the drainpipes" Paraphrasing since I dont have the book near me right now
    I remember that! I figured that the events of Tommyknockers happened before IT's death though, i.e. maybe both stories were happening simultaneously. I do wonder if such creatures can die forever though, considering a statue scene in another book...

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

nope it was in 85, tommyknockers took place in 89
    also There is a distinct influence of lovecraft on IT and remember what he said "that which is dead may eternal lye though through strange eons even death may die"

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I don't remember that!!!!
    Of course, it's been soo long since I read Tommyknockers... anyone have the actual quote?
    Not it, exactly, Odetta, but in Chapter 8 Ev Hillman, section 5..."sometimes he would lie in the dark and think he heard chuckling noises coming from the drains and he would think: You're going nuts, old-timer."

And in the chapter called Beach Jernigan and Dick Allison, #7, section 9, "the green coming from the culvert winked out."

In chapter nine, fwiw, The Funeral, we have that "Michigan seems like a dream to me now." thingy...Simon and Garfunkel? And Eddie, at some point along the beam.
    Last edited by Whitey Appleseed; 12-28-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, here it is, from Tommyknockers, p 510 my pbc, from chapter 10, A book of Days--the town concluded, section 14, the one that begins, "Tuesday, August 9th". Tommy hallucinating. Is that a spoiler? Who's Tommy? Where'd Billy go? anyway, the open sewer manhole, a clown, clenched white glove filled with balloons.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

there is also the matter of ev hillman hearing giggling coming from the sink in his motel in derry as well, just those little drops freaked me out as much as any of the main story in tommyknockers (which I loved btw)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast