Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: It - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes they are, a lot of things center around those two towns.

I'd say that Derry is the worse of the two to live in though.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll take Castlerock myself, if forced to choose.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Along the Path of the Beam NoLabelBG is on a distinguished road NoLabelBG's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, Derry is a fine place, if you ask me! I'd buy a house there, if it wasn't a fictional town! Well, I just might try to buy a fictional house! I will look in the Google Fictional Earth to pick the best spot!

Whatever, I write bullshit, because I'm tired!

Just wanted to say, that IT is the first SK book I ever read, and it is still the best one! It's not easy to get inside the children's minds and describe their feelings, fears, thoughts and friendships so well, like King did in that book. I'm 24y.o., much younger than King was, at the time when he wrote that novel, and for me is impossible to describe what is the childhood! The best way to make someone understand it, is to make him read the book.
    The SK books are not scary to me. I don't read them, because they are scary, but because King is so damn good storyteller, and IT is one of his best stories, in my opinion, and definitely my favorite book of all time (after DT, but DT is not comparable to anything)! I'm just happy that this book exist!
    [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]To see some Bulgarian
    Stephen King book covers, click here:

Gunslinger Apprentice Solar is on a distinguished road Solar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoLabelBG View Post
    Hey, Derry is a fine place, if you ask me! I'd buy a house there, if it wasn't a fictional town! Well, I just might try to buy a fictional house! I will look in the Google Fictional Earth to pick the best spot!

Just wanted to say, that IT is the first SK book I ever read, and it is still the best one! It's not easy to get inside the children's minds and describe their feelings, fears, thoughts and friendships so well, like King did in that book. I'm 24y.o., much younger than King was, at the time when he wrote that novel, and for me is impossible to describe what is the childhood! The best way to make someone understand it, is to make him read the book.
    The SK books are not scary to me. I don't read them, because they are scary, but because King is so damn good storyteller, and IT is one of his best stories, in my opinion, and definitely my favorite book of all time (after DT, but DT is not comparable to anything)! I'm just happy that this book exist!
    Those Bulgarian IT covers in your signature are amazing - especially the second one!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLabelBG View Post

Those Bulgarian IT covers in your signature are amazing - especially the second one!
    You should click on them and see the rest. Especially the Salem's Lot and Tommyknockers covers!
    Sloth Love Chunk

Along the Path of the Beam NoLabelBG is on a distinguished road NoLabelBG's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I like them too! One of the best! I have small images of one other version of IT, which is in 3 volumes! I don't like them very much. They're not bad, but the first edition is much better!

(sorce: www.king-bg.info)
    [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]To see some Bulgarian
    Stephen King book covers, click here:

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It is not only my favorite SK novel, it may be my favorite novel.....period.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, it's definitely among my top 5, and may be top 1 of those written in English

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
    IT
    It's on my shelf, halfway read & I can't make myself pick it back up. It's my least favorite so far, although I still have many King novels left to read.
    No, really... It has always competed with The Stand in my heart, and has often won... I can't imagine any novel that would be better.
    It is not only my favorite SK novel, it may be my favorite novel.....period.
    yes, it's definitely among my top 5, and may be top 1 of those written in English
    So I'm picking up a vibe that says you guys can't believe I don't like IT. I promise that I will finish it so I can objectively review it. But there is absolutely no freaking way, even if it turns completely around immediately, that I'll ever say it compares with The Stand. Say sorry.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, although It is an amazingly scary horror story, what endears it to me is a sense of nostalgia, deja vu even, that pervades the entire story. Stephen King immerses the reader in the childhood experience so effectively that you almost feel like you knew the characters from your own childhood. The character development in this novel surpasses that of any SK novel (with the possible exception of the Ka-tet), and is on par with any other novel I have ever read. I have never cared so much for a group of literary characters (again with the possible exception of the Ka-tet), by the end of a novel. The comparison to the Ka-tet is not a fair one, as we have 3-4 times the volume of pages in which those characters are developed in the DT series. Each of the characters are distinct, and they stay perfectly true to their nature throughout the entire work. There evolution into adults is perfect. It is truly a masterpiece.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

What are you trying to say? I mean, don't hold back. Why don't you tell us what you really think?

Seriously though, I do intend to finish it, if for no other reason than it's sitting on my self unfinished. Then, we'll see what I think about it. I sincerely hope that I like it as much as you do. You do like it, don't you?
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me, although It is an amazingly scary horror story, what endears it to me is a sense of nostalgia, deja vu even, that pervades the entire story. Stephen King immerses the reader in the childhood experience so effectively that you almost feel like you knew the characters from your own childhood. The character development in this novel surpasses that of any SK novel (with the possible exception of the Ka-tet), and is on par with any other novel I have ever read. I have never cared so much for a group of literary characters (again with the possible exception of the Ka-tet), by the end of a novel. The comparison to the Ka-tet is not a fair one, as we have 3-4 times the volume of pages in which those characters are developed in the DT series. Each of the characters are distinct, and they stay perfectly true to their nature throughout the entire work. There evolution into adults is perfect. It is truly a masterpiece.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It is the best book I've ever read, even with the last quarter dropping off slightly in quality. I hope any King fan comes around to it in time.

Along the Path of the Beam Mrs. Underwood is on a distinguished road Mrs. Underwood's Avatar

I think you basically just quoted what I say to anyone who ever asks what my favorite book is and why.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
    So I'm picking up a vibe that says you guys can't believe I don't like IT.

... The comparison to the Ka-tet is not a fair one, as we have 3-4 times the volume of pages in which those characters are developed in the DT series. ...
    I'd call that another point for It: unlike in TDT, not one page goes to waste.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry to say I also did not find It to be so amazing. It was good, but I wouldn't say it's King's masterpiece, or his scariest. I was never scared when I was reading it. It was creepy at times, yes, but that was all.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm sorry to say I also did not find It to be so amazing. It was good, but I wouldn't say it's King's masterpiece, or his scariest. I was never scared when I was reading it. It was creepy at times, yes, but that was all.
    I don't think it is even close to his scariest novel. That title is easily reserved for Pet Semetary, with Salem's Lot as a possible runner up.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

It is for bears second scariest after Pet Sematary. Not even because of Pennywise and stuff (although the standpipe episode is among the scariest ever, and I still can't say or hear the word "float" without shuddering), but mostly because of Bowers and Hockstetter and what people do to people. But, of course, being scary isn't its main merit.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Argh i have tried to Read IT a few times and failed, just can't get into the story! After all of these thoughts i must give it another go!

Country
    Country Flag

in my previous post I said being scary wasn't its main merit, but it isn't easy to put bearfinger on what is; all that BROWNING'S has said, of course, but there's some focus point to all that... I am afraid I will have to use the old beaten "child is father of the man" saying; however old, it is true. I keep looking into all of the Losers as if they were a multifaceted mirror, and I understand things about that child who is the father of this here bear.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Very interesting saying that.
    One I find quite accurate.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Along the Path of the Beam Mrs. Underwood is on a distinguished road Mrs. Underwood's Avatar

Perhaps I'm a wimp, but IT is (so far) the only Stephen King book EVER to give me nightmares. It just really got to me for some reason. I never really was one of those people with a fear of clowns, not until after I read this book (heh), but I found it terrifying. Honestly, the scariest part of this particular monster was
    Spoiler:
    the deadlights.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It is my favorite story ever written. I'd really urge those that haven't finished it, to try to do so. There's just so much to the story. I love the characters and the bond that forms between them. I loved the dark foreboding atmosphere that the story created. I found it to be quite eerie, and creepy. I definitely had an unsettled feeling while reading it. I loved It, aka Pennywise, and his many incarnations. He could be anything, you're absolute worst nightmare. And I agree with Jean about Bowers and Hocksetter. Especially Patrick, he's gotta be the most disturbing character that King has ever created. It was not easy to read those chapters with him in it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

the posts above have been copied from King's worst novel.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished It last night, about ten years since I read it last, and my third or fourth time overall. When I first read it I was much closer in age to the 1958 characters, and now so many years later I am much closer in age to the 1985 characters. With that extra bit of understanding of life and experience, the book was richer than any time I'd read it prior. Even though I have long considered it the best King book, it was better than ever this time.

What makes it so approachable and timeless is how the set of characters is laid out so that almost anyone can find dozens of personal experiences that King fully understands and relates to. It may be most powerful for Americans who grew up in smallish cities but I can imagine nearly everyone finding many things in the novel that display the essence of the human spirit, both good and bad.

Is there any indication that much was cut from the book to get it published? I'd be thrilled to get to have even a little more of Its Derry. And I am sure I am not the only one who thinks Its destruction in '85 was anything but final.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast