Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: It - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

CrisisKing - it is possible, King likes to have charecters like The Crimson King appear in different forms. I actually think the idea has been brough up that Pennywise is similar or another form of the Crimson King, if you read Insomnia, he desguises himself as well, into an old lady and then I think into a catfish? But it is still not his true form.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Along the Path of the Beam TheCrisisKing is on a distinguished road TheCrisisKing's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if he is Crimson King that would be interesting but I always thought he may be another relative species to that of the King. Robert Gray ate children and was birthed by The Turtle. The King isnt really referenced to doing that.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I was just saying it could also be that he is one of the same, but I think that he is just a relative speicies like you say. I don't know who Robert Gray is?
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

Along the Path of the Beam TheCrisisKing is on a distinguished road TheCrisisKing's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Robert Gray is Pennywise's name.

Country
    Country Flag

Man. I don't remember that and I just read IT a few books back. He was birthed by the turtle...because, the turtle created everything? I don't understand why he would have a real name...I thought it was a creature that was called many different things. Maybe I just don't remember when It said itself what it's name was. AH!
    -Orson Scott Card

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    Man. I don't remember that and I just read IT a few books back. He was birthed by the turtle...because, the turtle created everything? I don't understand why he would have a real name...I thought it was a creature that was called many different things. Maybe I just don't remember when It said itself what it's name was. AH!
    I have read the book 5 times so its in there. Its not really confirmed, but he says that as a name when luring children.

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

Also the package containing Henry's knife was from Robert Gray.

Traveler soapmaker19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    For what it's worth, I never thought It had a "real" name either. Robert Gray is just another alias, just like the name Pennywise, or at least in my opinion.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I am currently reading It again, for the 3rd time, and I noticed that. I didnt every remember that name. But when I read it all I could think about is that Pennywise is Mr. Gray? HMMMMMMM. Ister Gay.

Also, opening part 3 of chap 7, I noticed this line for the first time in 3 reads. Though I read It the first 2 times pre-DT: "It was one of those perfect summer days which, in a world where everything was on track and on the beam, you would never forget."
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Just came across something else. While Richie is driving back to Derry, an Orinco truck blows past him. Of coarse, this is the same type of truck from Pet Sematary and I think I remember another Orinco reference in Dark Half.

Does anyone know if these trucks are mentioned in "Trucks"? It has been too long for me to remember.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too have also just started it Brownings Childe, hopefully i'll spot some subtle references.

What a great book so far, and I can't wait to dive back in.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading It. Probably one of the best King books I've ever read.

Decided to view the adaptation. My girlfriend has it on VHS. I'll let you know what I think. Although, I'll say this, just got done with the first tape a couple minutes ago, and it doesn't look promising. Some ups, some good stuff, but a lot more bad. Of course watching it now, as opposed to watching it back when it was first made and I was in Elementary School may be a big factor.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought the movie was ok. That said there was a lot of room for improvement.

And THAT said, I still enjoyed the movie, probably because I am so fond of the book.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I thought the movie was ok. That said there was a lot of room for improvement.

And THAT said, I still enjoyed the movie, probably because I am so fond of the book.
    Yeah, I still get that fascination, after reading a book and then watching the movie, like: "I read this! This is great!" No matter how bad the movie is.

Country
    Country Flag

The movie was unique as it it widely regarded as one of the scariest and most traumatizing movies ever made. And it isnt even as close to as violent as the book.

The movie is the reason I have a fear of clowns

Country
    Country Flag

Plus Tim Curry rocked

Traveler soapmaker19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I would say Tim Curry was a great Pennywise. Superb. But that movie doesn't even scratch the surface of the awesomeness of the book. You just can't cram that book into a 3 hour miniseries. That movie couldn't even be considered a Cliff's Notes version of It. Way too much important stuff left out.

Country
    Country Flag

I just remember as a kid, going to blockbuster and seeing IT sitting on the shelf with my sister, and we were always so frightened!
    -Orson Scott Card

Gunslinger Apprentice Solar is on a distinguished road Solar's Avatar

The movie doesn't compare to the book, obviously; however, it IS scary as hell. It takes some serious skill to construct a TV buget, basically PG-rated miniseries with B movie actors and make it good enough to scare the shit out of an entire generation of 12 year olds (myself included).

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Couple more observations from my reread.

pp: 430 "In this universe there might grow roses which sing."

pp: 458 During Hanlon's father's telling of the fire at the Black Spot.
    "There was a lot of bitterness about it, but what could we do? We had no real power. It was this young fellow, a Pfc. named Dick Hallorann who was a mess-cook, who suggested that maybe we could fix it up pretty nice if we really tried."

It has been much better reading this time through, as I have read most of SK's book since my last read of this book (about 15 years ago)
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I just had an interesting thought, when Bill is describing the ritual of Chud. (The taelus stuck its tongue out, you stuck yours out. You overlapped tongues and then you both bit in all the way so you were sort of stapled together, then you started telling jokes and riddles, the one who stumped or made the other laugh won, and then proceeded to kill and consume the other)

It occured to me that Roland's Tet had their own Ritual of Chud (minus the tongue parts) with Blaine the Mono.

Thoughts?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

returning to It and what's it's real name is and if he has any comparisson to other SK villians.... there is a part in the story where he refers to himself as "Legion" and there are many other stories and instinces where "Legion" is a charecters name, like the man in black/merlin, whatever, and also in The Storm of the Century. There are probably a lot more references that I can't think of or don't know yet either, so I think they are all one in the same.
    -Orson Scott Card

Traveler devilweed is on a distinguished road

Default Mr. Gray / Pennywise connection

Dreamcatcher

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

devilweed: there is a special radioactive icons in your toolbar, it is for spoiler tags

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

it just occured to me that Castle Rock and Derry are like the two worst places to live in the Kingverse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast