Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Roden View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
great first post, welcome, Roden!

I have just read Phantoms and, although I rather liked it, I am afraid I wasn't really impressed by the "horror part"; it might depend on what ones reads first, of course, but I know that the horrors described by King in It will stay with me forever. Especially the Standpipe - something I don't want to think of when home alone at night. And of course you're right about both It being so much more than a horror novel and the importance of the last chapters. Of everything King has written, this is the novel I take most personally, and the one that impressed me most. For me it's first and foremost a story of vincibility (am not sure if it is a word, but can't think of a better at the moment) of evil, however unthinkable; ultimately, a tale of hope.
Thanks! Yes, I see what you mean. I actually wasn't 100% sure which was scarier, though reading both at night can give one dreams... I liked Phantoms as it inspired a lot of the game "Silent Hill" so can relate quite a bit to it, it also seemed way ahead of its time (can't believe it was written in 1981/2).

It seems unlikely I'll read two better novels from Stephen King than It and the Dark Tower series however, which is sad.. can you recommend the next best one, in your opinion? I was thinking of either the Stand or Pet Semetary.. Not too interested in The Shining.. Perhaps save it for a winter vacation?
Welcome Roden

I agree with both of you. I loved It, and it is definitely a lot more than just a scary story. I'd also recommend you put The Long Walk on your list. It is my all-time favorite story, but that one closely follows right behind. Also I think I might have to check out Phantoms.
Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't read any of his Bachman stuff yet. Will put it on the list after Pet Semetary!

Phantoms is good, though try and stay away from the Ben Affleck movie for obvious reasons..