Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Talisman / Black House

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    really? you'd stop? man I'm like 2/3s or more into it...
    Don't stop. Read The Talisman after you're through with BH, but don't put too much time in between - you'll understand BH somewhat better, and I think you'll like the Talisman more, too; but this retroactive understanding is best done when as little time as possible has elapsed.

Then you can read BH again.

And again... in any order you like.

Anyway, it is not a one-time read, so the order doesn't really matter.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i agree with jean

i don't think there's anything not having read the talisman previously would make difficult to grasp in black house. reading it afterward will certainly expand your knowledge of jack's character and why he is the way he is, but king and straub do a good enough job of making black house able to stand on its own.

still, when you are done, read the talisman immediately simply because that book is awesome.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

My son said last night that he heard something about SK & PS on NPR regards to the third installment of this great story....I AM so happy!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Traveler pluginbaby is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the Talisman. It's another one I read when I was pretty young and I've reread it about 7 or 8 times since. When Black House came out I bought it straight away but really struggled to get into it and eventually read it about a year later. Have to say that once I'd persevered through the beginning I did really enjoy it, but there's just something about the Talisman that gets me.

John F. Kennedy ConstanToweReader is on a distinguished road

I loved The Talisman. I love the character of Jack Sawyer. So I was so happy to know they had finished The Black House. But that opening segment just about made me want to stop reading. I'm glad I didn't because I loved the story and some of the characters. (Y'all are making me want to read both again). I have read the Talisman a couple times. BH just once.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanToweReader View Post
    I loved The Talisman. I love the character of Jack Sawyer. So I was so happy to know they had finished The Black House. But that opening segment just about made me want to stop reading. <...>
    there are few things in the world's literature that bears love as much as "that openin segment"...

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh I loved both, probably equally, for entirely different reasons. The Talisman is just a damn good story, and Jack Sawyer is such an earnest, amazing kid. Black house on the other hand, I loved because it had some moments that truly scared the shit out of me, and because of Henry Leyden. I just adored Henry Leyden.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

^ Yeah... I loved Henry Leyden too!! My fav character in BH.

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished BH and am about halfway through The Talisman, I gotta disagree and say I liked BH better! *hides*
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GirlGoneNineteen View Post
    Finished BH and am about halfway through The Talisman, I gotta disagree and say I liked BH better! *hides*
    don't hide! don't hide! come and be hugged by the bear!!!

Along the Path of the Beam NoLabelBG is on a distinguished road NoLabelBG's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Talisman is just fantastic! Maybe my favorite book, after "IT". I read it long after The Dark Tower. I knew that there is a DT connection in it, but i was surprised how big it is! It came in a moment when i was missing the tower magic and this book literally made me happy! It was like e big return! But I love it not only because the DT connections, it's just the whole story is amazingly interesting and just... nice! So many things are happening in just one book! Impressive!
    The Black House was great too. It starts very nicely, with all that flying around the town thing!
    [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]To see some Bulgarian
    Stephen King book covers, click here:

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

The Talisman was actually the first Stephen King book i ever read, and was completely hooked ever since. Don't know much about Peter Straub though, does he have anything worth reading?
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, yes! Quite a bit.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam NoLabelBG is on a distinguished road NoLabelBG's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read anything by Straub. Maybe I will have to check it! Any suggestions ?
    [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]To see some Bulgarian
    Stephen King book covers, click here:

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would also like some suggestions.
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Everything! Start with Ghost Story, Shadowland, Floating Dragon, If You Could See Me Now, Julia, and Houses Without Doors. Then move on from there.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Old News: Bridge story between Talisman & Black House

Just stumbled on this, and it may very well be old news, but this is the first time I'm finding out about this, all these years later. It's a ten year old interview with king's agent:

http://new.publishersweekly.com/pw/p...e-review-.html

We had planned, in 1999, on my doing a deal for the electronic publication of a bridge story between The Talisman and that novel's sequel, which Peter Straub and Stephen King are writing now. I think we'll still go forward with that. But I would like to see that done closer to when the book will be published, which probably won't happen until mid-2001.
    In the dark recesses of Lilja's Library I found this interview with Peter Straub:

http://www.liljas-library.com/showinterview.php?id=8

Följeslagarna: Early on there was some talk that King should write, what he called, a "bridge" between The Talisman and Black House on his own and publish this as an e-Book. This book should update us on Jack Sawyer's life the last 20 years (roughly). This information came from King's agent Ralph Vincinanza in an interview in Publishers Weekly, but when we asked you about this, you didn't know anything about it. Do you know something about this now? Will there be a "bridge"? Are you involved at all?

Peter Straub: The "bridge" story is still completely up in the air. If it happens at all, I'll start it, and King will finish it. (If Steve reads this, he'll be surprised, because we haven't even discussed the matter. My editor thought I might begin it, then pass it along to Steve.)
    I completely missed all this, apparently, at the time. Obviously nothing came of this, then? That's too bad... Another file in the what-would-have-been case.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd never heard about this either. I'm not sure it would be all that interesting though.

Spoiler:
    We know from Black House that Jack's mother finally succumbed to cancer again and he became a cop for a while and somehow ended up blocking out the Talisman years...

I guess another story not territories or supernatural related (except perhaps in a subtle way) could work. I like supernatural stories, I'm just thinking it should fit with Black House. I get the impression that
    Spoiler:
    minus the stuff about the dead guy who looked vaguely like Speedy - although to be fair there could be a story in those events
    - his life had been pretty normal. Well... as normal as a cop's life can be, anyway.

I'd rather see the proposed third sequel.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually it would be the second sequel...third book.

I want it badly too...like NOW.

If you rescue me

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

This would be so great! Jack is my favorite SK character and I would love to know what happened to him in the missing years.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Again, according to Lilja's site, talk of Talisman 3 already started back when Black House was released in 2001.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

all I can say is I am ready. I love these books .

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Since Black House has so much connection to the DT series, do I need to read the Talisman to understand the book or can I just read BH first?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I read BH first, and while i missed a few things, most references to The Talisman were pretty small, and the plot held pretty well on its own. Black House is certainly a very, very different book to The Talisman, that's for sure.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i loved talisman i was 15 (1995)when i read it so I was different back then
    such a adventure ....great story telling ......
    black house i read 10 years ago or so and it was my first reintroduction to DT
    that got me going back on that series ......i stopped at the wizard and glass

also talisman introduced me to struab and i read most of his work after that book ....he is a good author

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast