Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 262 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 6527

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am pretty sure it was the UK proof. that was not really a factor since I have more than a couple copies of BH in different editions and languages. The price was only about 20$ difference so that wasn't really a factor either. In the end I think it came down to the condition of the proof and the fact that it was the first On Writing proof that I stumbled across. I was not really intending to make a purchase that day so it was a spur of the moment choice, as both auctions were ending in under ten minutes. I can always find a copy of BH if I am actually shopping for one, so I am just curious as to what others would have done and what price would you guys have considered a good deal for the On Writing proof.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

If it was the UK proof and if it was in less than desirable shape I think a difference of $20 is reasonable. The ON WRITING ARC can be had for as little as $10, the UK BLACK HOUSE for around $50 (although some sellers ask a LOT more) for a nice copy. And you're right, the UK BH can also be found quite easily. The US proof on the other hand is a bit harder (but there are some copies listed as we speak).

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good info. I plan to get both the UK and US BH ARCs if possible, but like I said, that day was a spur of the moment choice and I had no plans of spending any cash. I don't regret my choice, since I would have wanted a On Writing copy at some point, I just hope that I didn't pass up a decent price. I guess I will just chalk it up to the joy of collecting.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Check Mr. Rabbit Trick's eBay link (in his signature). He has both BLACK HOUSE proofs for sale right now.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the heads up.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Listing in the first post has been updated to include the Secretary of Dreams Volume 2 ARC.

John

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Are you going to list the two part PET SEMATARY manuscript proof?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Which one is that? My memory is going again!

John

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

This one -

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, now I remember. Is that a proof of the book, though? I thought it had something to do with the movie.

John

Nope, it's a manuscript proof of the book by "Stevie Prince". Apparently, Doubleday wanted to keep the author a secret for some reason. I think (but don't quote me), there are three or four of them floating around.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's added to the list. Thanks!

John

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Tally: Do You Have a Copy of "Twice the Power" Proof?

I got a pretty good deal on a "Twice the Power" proof this week (thanks Rusty), and in doing some homework on it was trying to determine how many copies were produced. If you search on-line, go back through the forums, and ask fellow proof collectors, the general answer you get is "Ummmm ...". Okay, that's not unusual for proofs, sometimes the numbers just aren't known. For this particular one I heard 1 to 25, read "Up to 40" and was told "nobody knows exactly".

So, what I'd like to do is just get a tally of the known proofs in collector's hands, as well as their state and if there's anything special about them (PC, signed, numbered, etc.). It's also mentioned on Barry Levin's site (www.raresf.com) that "Another state of this "presentation proof" is reported to contain yet another story from FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT"; if your's does, please let us know.

To try and reach as many as proof collectors as possible, I'm also putting this up in Cara Laughs and over at StephenKingCollector and then we'll see what kind of numbers we get. While I realize it won't be definitive, at least it'll give the collecting community a little bit better idea of what's out there.

To start it off, I have one copy (well, will when it arrives in the mail next week sometime anyway), I know Jhanic and Mr Rabbit Trick have at least one apiece, and there are two copies currently up for sale on various websites (more listings, but all for the same two copies). That makes 5 known so far. Everybody, please tell me what you've got!

George
    Last edited by George at C-Springs; 08-26-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added information

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I have two copies.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't have one. I do want one.

Bob has at least two copies and Barry has one. I'm pretty sure Hutch and Mike Pasiuk have one or more.

(but what am I doing here, telling you what other people have on their shelves)

*edit* Bob beat me to it!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I have one fine copy signed by King.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just have one.

John

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have two copies

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Received this wonderful post on SK Collector from Michael at Fine Edition Books in the UK (they also have two pristine copies of Twice the Power for sale, if you're looking to add a copy to your collection):

The collectors of Stephen King proofs in general and TWICE THE POWER in particular may be interested to know that Hodder printed the sheets and (blue wrappers) for a solo proof of the UK hardcover edition of FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT, but abandoned the project in favour of the TWICE THE POWER omnibus. To the best of my knowledge, only one flat, mint set of the unbound sheets of the solo FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT proof survives, complete with an immaculate, flat blue wrapper.

TWICE THE POWER was not inexpensive to manufacture and is, therefore, in correspondingly short supply. A dozen battered copies were given to booksellers at the 1991 UK Fantasy Con in London - which is almost certainly the portal through which they escaped into the wicked world of the collector - but pristine copies are and always were in very short supply.
    The FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT solo proof sheets are almost certainly unique.

Speaking of unique proofs, King collectors seem to be unaware that one of the most precious King proofs is that of the first UK edition of THE GUNSLINGER (yes, DARK TOWER, volume 1) as, to the best of my knowledge, it is the ONLY Gunslinger proof, since Donald Grant did not issue one. Indeed, the UK can claim to have produced a number of unusual (and now quite rare) King items.

Thanks for the great information Michael. Anyone know anything about the flat, unbound sheets set he talks about? And it would be great to be able to tie anyone's copies directly to the 1991 UK Fantasy Con; perhaps an insert from the event, or something along those lines. If anyone has more info on the items mentioned, please let us know.

In regards to the lone UK Gunslinger proof, Jhanic's Proofs list (of books he owns) shows three all together:

Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (Plume) orange cover
    Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (Plume) ARC Variant Cover does not mention any proof or ARC condition
    (UK) Gunslinger tan cover Sphere extremely rare

I'm assuming the one Michael talks about is the Sphere edition, but would need more information to confirm.

George
    Last edited by George at C-Springs; 08-27-2010 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Additional info

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it's the Sphere edition. There is one copy listed on eBay - its background is explained in the SK Proof thread. Hutch also has one I believe. Oh and the list to which you refer does not list all proofs that John Hanic owns but it is a list he compiled of all known US and UK proofs.

Thanks for sharing that email by the way! And it's nice to welcome another proof collector in our midst

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a copy of those unbound proof pages for the UK edition of FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT so Michael's copy is not unique. There are at least two and almost certainly more.

His copy of the Sphere proof of THE GUNSLINGER is also not unique. I bought a copy a while back from Shibus but the postal service nearly destroyed it en route. Shibus resold it to Nate Horning who has tried unsuccessfully to sell it at an inflated price on eBay. It's really not in collectible shape anymore.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Shibus resold it to Nate Horning who has tried unsuccessfully to sell it at an inflated price on eBay. It's really not in collectible shape anymore.
    The price has been reduced yet again, but he will never sell it for any more than he bought it for.

As you say, it's really not in collectible shape anymore.

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2 twice the power here

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at Ramstein View Post
    In regards to the lone UK Gunslinger proof, Jhanic's Proofs list (of books he owns) shows three all together:

Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (Plume) orange cover
    Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (Plume) ARC Variant Cover does not mention any proof or ARC condition
    (UK) Gunslinger tan cover Sphere extremely rare

I'm assuming the one Michael talks about is the Sphere edition, but would need more information to confirm.

George
    I just want to emphasize that the listing of proofs in the first post of the Proofs thread is NOT a listing of what I own--it's a listing, as complete as I can make it, of all the King proofs that I know of. If you want to see the ones I own, check out the Collections thread above. All those I own are shown there.

The listing in the proofs thread is, as I said, as complete as I can make it, but I'm sure has omissions and errors. Please let me know of any corrections and additions so that they can be noted.

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

John, sorry about my mistatement regarding ownership; I knew it was a "knowns" list but had your private collection photos up at the same time and got them confused in my head while I was typing!

Bob, you said that you had two Twice the Power copies ... is that two copies PLUS the set of unbound sheets, or one bound and one unbound?

Thanks --

George

+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 262 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast