Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 262 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Back cover (sorry for the shadows)

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

And publisher's letter

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Bob said it was scarce, and has never seen a picture of one, and does not himself have one.
    No I'm talking about the White ARC, which he said he has. Not the proof.
    Sorry. My mistake.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Bob said it was scarce, and has never seen a picture of one, and does not himself have one.
    No I'm talking about the White ARC, which he said he has. Not the proof.
    Sorry. My mistake.
    no prob.

Thanks Wiz, yea I thought I had seen this before. Interesting that there was a ARC and a tall proof.
    Geoff

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the pics Wiz. That's the one I've seen several of for sale.

Reading the last few posts, it looks like I'm not the only one confused about proofs/ARCs. Could the experts give us more guidance on these. Much like the help we had on blues/F&Gs. Could we have seperate lists/info of proofs and ARCs?

Over to you John/Bob/Jerome et al....

Remember this info will still be logged here on this site for our kids (the new Super Collectors) to reference in the decades to come. (after they have raped our collections to pay for their Soylent Green habit).

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

An excellent reference is here

a few brief excerpts:

Galleys - Galley proofs, or galleys, are long sheets taken directly from the printer's tray. They generally contain about three pages' worth of type, and are printed on one side only. Only a few copies of the galleys are pulled, for use by the author for final corrections and for the publisher's in-house use. They are an early state and exceptionally scarce. One thing to watch out for: some publishers, sales reps, and even book dealers, will use "galleys" interchangeably with "proofs" (see below). If someone says "galleys," find out: do they actually mean long galley sheets, which are exceptionally rare, or just proofs, which are considerably more common? "f & g's" (folded and gathered sheets) - The gatherings, or signatures, of the finished book, but unbound, loosely laid together, sometimes laid into a dust jacket or proof dust jacket. An intermediate state between the proof and the finished, bound book; usually only a handful of such sets are pulled from the production process, for in-house use or distribution.

Proofs - Generally a plainly printed softbound copy of a book, issued well in advance of publication, for early readers: writers from whom "blurbs" are solicited; buyers for major bookstores, chains or wholesalers; reviewers for magazines and, sometimes, newspapers. Pagination often differs from the final book; page numbers are sometimes not typeset; often the publisher staples or tapes publication information or promotional material to the front cover or inside the front cover. Sometimes there are considerable textual changes between the proofs of a book and the final published version. Carter distinguishes between "first proofs and "revised proofs" but this is not a general practice of the U.S. publishing industry, except to the extent that "galleys" are done.

Advance reading copy - This denotes a prepublication softcover copy which generally has glossy covers, finished artwork and a visual appeal well beyond that of proof copies. They are used for promotional purposes primarily, given away at publishers' book fairs, and so forth. They are not to be confused with: Advance review copy or just review copy - This is a regular copy of the book -- the finished, published book, complete with hardcovers -- into which the publisher has inserted some ephemeral promotional material. It can be as little as a slip giving the date of publication or can include such things as an author photograph (or other photographs), biographical material about the author, blurbs and early comments on the book, comments on the author's earlier works, etc. The range of possible material is vast but the important thing is to recognize that "advance review copy" means a copy of the published edition (the "trade edition," see below) with extra material laid in, whereas "advance reading copy" indicates a special edition, generally softcover, which was never formally published or offered for sale -- a completely different item than a "review copy."

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link RF. I will digest it better tomorrow. I better get off to bed as it's Valentine's Day here, and I can hear a lonely voice calling.....

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i believe the "dodo bird" carrie proof that bob refers to would be the "galley" proof state for in house only usage, as i believe all the tall oblong doubleday proofs were.
    feel free to correct me bob if i am wrong.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    i believe the "dodo bird" carrie proof that bob refers to would be the "galley" proof state for in house only usage, as i believe all the tall oblong doubleday proofs were.
    feel free to correct me bob if i am wrong.
    I think that is correct, although I don't think they were strictly for in house use. A few copies of the galley proofs of THE SHINING and NIGHT SHIFT have had the little publicity notes pasted to the front cover. So some were sent out to reviewers.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Once again, the wealth of information around here amazes me.

Every time I read this thread I have tell myself, "Don't start collecting proofs and ARCs, don't start collecting proofs and ARCs..."
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post
    Trying to figure out which way to go with my collecting. Should i go with proofs/arcs or with UK firsts? I have a few of each, but i want to pick one to work on consistently. Just curious what you all think, Let me know !!!!!!
    thanks
    Hi Rusty,

I'd like to throw my two cents in the ring here.

When you collect firsts (whether US or UK), you know exactly what you are looking for. The information regarding the firsts is fairly easily obtained. And when you've gotten them all, that's it.

When you collect ARCs/proofs, the information on those is much scarcer. And there may always be a state that's out there that you didn't know existed. For example, carlosdetweiller has a US proof of Song of Susannah that has a black tape binding. His is the only one of these I've even heard of, yet alone seen. Likewise the current discussion in another thread (Your New Pride and Joy) of the contest awards of The Green Mile signed manuscript proofs. Until I had read Randall Flagg's link to the description of the contest, I didn't know that those existed other than for the #1 book. I still haven't seen one of the others, although carlos may have one or more of the others. This gives the collecting of the ARCs/proofs an air of mystery and the "hunt" that I really enjoy.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, John, I'm not the one with the black tape spine edition of Song of Susannah. I think it is hutch, but I'm not sure. But the points you make are well taken. Books go through so many forms on their way from manuscript to final trade edition that there must be odd-ball editions for most every book that we collectors rarely see.

As you point out, something new always seems to be showing up. Like that trade paperback ARC of the 1978 UK edition of THE STAND I got several months ago. 30 years old and no collector that I've talked to knew of its existence. And the UK BAG OF BONES that has three separate proof states. And countless other examples. And who knows what tomorrow will bring?

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Actually, John, I'm not the one with the black tape spine edition of Song of Susannah. I think it is hutch, but I'm not sure. But the points you make are well taken. Books go through so many forms on their way from manuscript to final trade edition that there must be odd-ball editions for most every book that we collectors rarely see.

As you point out, something new always seems to be showing up. Like that trade paperback ARC of the 1978 UK edition of THE STAND I got several months ago. 30 years old and no collector that I've talked to knew of its existence. And the UK BAG OF BONES that has three separate proof states. And countless other examples. And who knows what tomorrow will bring?

All of this is good reason why I do not collect Proofs/ARCs/Galeys/etc.....

I'll die happy once I have a complete set of First Editions. Anything else (ie proofs, signed books, old magazines, S/Ls, rareties, one of a kinds) is icing on the cake!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Here are some examples of some different, rarely seen pre-publication states.

The first is a partial manuscript state of BLACK HOUSE. It reproduces the first 46 pages of the original manuscript. Bound with a black tape spine. It has publication data and promotional (selling) points on the front cover so it wasn't strictly for in house use.

I bought this on eBay prior to the book's release and have never seen another.

The first page:

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Question to the ARC/proof collectors here. Do you also collect signed copies of these?. I'm sure they are a lot harder to find than Signed trade 1st. How rare is it to find signed ARC/proofs?.

Similarly, but later in the publication process, here is the full book again bound with a black tape spine and having promotional information on the front cover. This must have been for sales reps but I really have no idea. This does not reproduce the original manuscript pages but utilizes "first pass pages."

Chris Cavalier outbid me for this on eBay prior to the book's publication but I got it from him when he sold his collection. Again, I have never seen another.

The first page:

Lastly, here are the relatively common US proof and partial UK proof.

I suspect that most, if not all, books go through a similar process of different pre-publication states.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an unbound copy of the complete manuscript of the Hodder Black House, unfortunately missing the very first page, that I got from Chris Cavalier's collection via Betts.

John

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post

All of this is good reason why I do not collect Proofs/ARCs/Galeys/etc.....
    As Manfred Mann sings in "Blinded By The Light" -- "But mama, that's where the fun is!"

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I have an unbound copy of the complete manuscript of the Hodder Black House, unfortunately missing the very first page, that I got from Chris Cavalier's collection via Betts.

John
    Photocopies, right?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Question to the ARC/proof collectors here. Do you also collect signed copies of these?. I'm sure they are a lot harder to find than Signed trade 1st. How rare is it to find signed ARC/proofs?.
    Other than the ones that were issued as signed proofs (ie, The Green Mile contest proof), signed proofs are very, very scarce. I do not own any (again, other than The Green Mile contest proof). I know wizard's rainbow owns a signed copy of the UK Dark Tower VII proof that he had autographed at a signing. I assume carlosdetweiller also has one or more.

I have heard that King does not like to sign proofs at his signings. I don't know just how strict he is on this, though.

I do know that some signed proofs show up on eBay occasionally, but I wouldn't trust those unless I knew and trusted the seller.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Photocopies, right?
    I assume so. Cost was relatively inexpensive.

John

John
    Photocopies, right?
    I assume so. Cost was relatively inexpensive.

John

Got pics?

I have heard that King does not like to sign proofs at his signings. I don't know just how strict he is on this, though.
    I've not heard that. I know that Chris Cavalier got his proofs of THE SHINING and NIGHT SHIFT signed at the Betts signing in 1998.

That's the only signing I have been to but I have heard that King basically signs pretty much anything put in front of him. The bookstore employees generally move up and down the signing line telling people a bunch of rules (or so I've heard) but when you finally get to King he is usually pretty accommodating.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

None handy. I'll have to dig it out and scan the first couple pages that I have.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 262 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast