Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 262 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Stephen King BLOW OUT SALE - 26 PROOFS & ARCS CHEAP

Critical Path are selling a lot of 26 proofs in NF+ to VF condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-BLO...QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder if I should start a proof collection?
    It would be a fast start! Most of those I don't have. Oh, I also don't have $1000.00!!!

I'll build my collection one piece at a time.
    The problem, Bill, is that you put in all those zeros. Try saying this:

It would be a fast start! Most of those I don't have. Oh, I think I can scrounge up a measly $1k.
    Isn't that better now?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't work. Maybe if I put the zero's BEFORE the one! As in:

Yeah, I can do that!!!

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's good!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Updated to correct the type of binding for the manuscript versions of The Tommyknockers and Misery and to add the manuscript version of Desperation. I just noticed this version of Desperation on Barry R. Levin's site and then found it as one of Betts Books' Chris Cavalier listings. I've never seen this version.

See post on 2/14/08 for updated listing.

John

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't sure where to post this so i started here, if someone thinks it should be moved, feel free to move it or ask me to move it.

Trying to figure out which way to go with my collecting. Should i go with proofs/arcs or with UK firsts? I have a few of each, but i want to pick one to work on consistently. I have all the US firsts, a few signed ones here and there and a few S/L. The S/L don't really interest me anymore, especially the newer ones, there are a few older ones i want to get but i am not going to concentrate on those, if the opportunity arises i may take it though.
    here what i have as far as proofs and Uk firsts

Proofs
    Dark Tower 2 -7 (3-7 all signed by Darrel Anderson)
    Rose Madder
    Four Past Midnight
    Insomnia
    Needful Things
    The Dark Half
    Bag of Bones
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Desperation
    From a Buick 8
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (small ARC with 3 pop-ups)
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (full dummy proof, white)
    The Dead Zone
    Eyes of the Dragon
    On Writing
    Twice the Power (UK proof, 1 of 40 or so ? )
    Hearts in Atlantis (UK proof)
    Lisey’s Story (with notebook)

U.K. First Editions
    Four Past Midnight
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Umney’s Last Case
    Eyes of the Dragon
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes
    Needful Things
    From a Buick 8
    Dolores Claiborne
    Black House (white lettering black background)
    Black House (black lettering white background)
    Everything’s Eventual
    Desperation
    Regulators
    Insomnia
    Gerald’s Game
    The Dark Half
    On Writing
    Cujo
    Dreamcatcher
    Rose Madder
    Rose Madder (with page marker)
    DT 1
    DT 2
    DT 3
    DT 4
    DT 5
    DT 6
    DT 7

Just curious what you all think, Let me know !!!!!!
    thanks

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very impressive set you have there nameless. If it were me, I would start with the 1sts (which I am doing now) then branch out to others.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I would go with First UK Editions, because it will be cheaper and easier to accomplish. In fact its pretty much impossible to get all the UK and US proofs, plus the Doubleday proofs are very rare and very expensive, and all will cost more than a first UK of Carrie. Besides a lot of the UK covers are better than the US covers, so they're pretty cool.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post

Trying to figure out which way to go with my collecting. Should i go with proofs/arcs or with UK firsts? I have a few of each, but i want to pick one to work on consistently.

thanks
    Which do YOU like best? Proofs or firsts? The answer to your question probably lies there. Collect what you like best. You'll never go wrong doing that.

As someone else has already pointed out it is possible to complete a collection of UK first trade editions. It is probably not possible to get a complete set of proofs. I know of only one US CARRIE proof and I don't have it. I also know of only one set of UK proofs of King's first five books. I don't have them either.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

There's also the chance that one of the proofs no longer exists. If you think that it's usually printed in a very cheap paper, and Carrie is 33 years old already (almost 34), if a very few were printed and probably went to the garbage at that moment...there's the small chance that a determinated proof no longer exists.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessnpoor View Post

Trying to figure out which way to go with my collecting. Should i go with proofs/arcs or with UK firsts? I have a few of each, but i want to pick one to work on consistently.

thanks
    Which do YOU like best? Proofs or firsts? The answer to your question probably lies there. Collect what you like best. You'll never go wrong doing that.

As someone else has already pointed out it is possible to complete a collection of UK first trade editions. It is probably not possible to get a complete set of proofs. I know of only one US CARRIE proof and I don't have it. I also know of only one set of UK proofs of King's first five books. I don't have them either.
    I'm in a mushy mood.

The above is amazing advice and I'd just like to point out how lucky we are to have this kind of insight provided to us here. Thanks so much Bob

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm in a mushy mood.

The above is amazing advice and I'd just like to point out how lucky we are to have this kind of insight provided to us here. Thanks so much Bob
    mushy smushy, just go ahead and ignore Ari and my posts and put all the praise on Bob the super collector.

just kidding, lol
    Geoff

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You know its all you guys I love. I think I have learned more from you than 12 years of school

About stuff thats actually important anyway.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, to start with what you like best, but the caveat being proofs and how difficult it is to collect every single one.
    The UK Firsts is a great idea.
    You could also do 90% of the US trades for reasonable prices each-as long as you settle for copies that are in VG condition. If you try to get them all in Near Fine condition, you have greatly increased your challenge (price).

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It took me several years to get the 1st US editions that I own. I'm typically thrifty, so tried to be patient and wait for the good deals on the near fine copies. If you do settle for a less than fine copy, that's okay-- you can upgrade later. Just try not to upgrade too many times!

I own trade editions of SK's first 4 books, but not First Editions. I'll just keep looking. It felt good to finally get rid of my BCE's.

As for proofs, I don't actively look, but I keep my eyes open. I've got a whole lifetime to fill my collection. There's no hurry.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Question:

Whats the difference between a trade edition and a first edition?

And mainly, what is the one I bought at WalMart the day after it came out?

Country
    Country Flag

I consider a trade edition as one that's NOT a book club edition. So, it will have a publisher's price on the dust jacket and usually a printing history (number line).

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

A trade is typically the first edition of the book, usually in hardback, and having a price on the DJ. A 1st edition 1st printing of a trade is what collectors seek. Duma Key was issued as a trade hardback. The first books were 1st printings, thus they had a numberline beginning with "1".
    It looks like this: 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

I have heard the book is now out in a second printing. The second printing is much less desirable to a collector (almost worthless), even if signed by King, than the exact same book that is a 1st printing.

All of the Bachman books were first issued as Trade Paperbacks.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I know of only one US CARRIE proof and I don't have it.
    I have seen a few for sale. In fact, there is a Carrie white cover (O50) on ABE right now.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...3%26yrh%3D1975

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I know of only one US CARRIE proof and I don't have it.
    I have seen a few for sale. In fact, there is a Carrie white cover (O50) on ABE right now.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...3%26yrh%3D1975
    That is not the proof. That is an advance reading copy. It is the approximate size of the finished book. The proof is taller (oblong, I guess) and is consistent in size with the other Doubleday proofs of King's first four books. It is exceedingly scarce and I've never even seen a picture of one. I just know of a collector who is supposed to have one (and I have no reason to doubt that information).

Doubleday felt they had something special with CARRIE and did a pretty big promotional campaign to include sending out the white ARC's. They state on the cover "Special Edition - Not for Sale" or something like that. They are actually pretty common and are definitely a separate edition from the real "Advance Uncorrected Proof."

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That is not the proof. That is an advance reading copy. It is the approximate size of the finished book. The proof is taller (oblong, I guess) and is consistent in size with the other Doubleday proofs of King's first four books. It is exceedingly scarce and I've never even seen a picture of one. I just know of a collector who is supposed to have one (and I have no reason to doubt that information).

Doubleday felt they had something special with CARRIE and did a pretty big promotional campaign to include sending out the white ARC's. They state on the cover "Special Edition - Not for Sale" or something like that. They are actually pretty common and are definitely a separate edition from the real "Advance Uncorrected Proof."
    Thanks for that info. I do not know much about ARCs and Proofs as you can probably tell. I thought they were the same thing. I have seen several Carrie ARCs for sale and not Proofs.

Maybe the list of Proofs should be seperated into ARCs and Proofs. Thoughts anyone?

I have seen several Carrie ARCs for sale and not Proofs.
    It's a common mistake. As far as I know CARRIE is the only one of the first five Doubleday books to have both a proof state and an ARC. The proof is virtually unobtainable so the ARC is the earliest state that most collectors (including me) can hope to obtain.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I have seen several Carrie ARCs for sale and not Proofs.
    It's a common mistake. As far as I know CARRIE is the only one of the first five Doubleday books to have both a proof state and an ARC. The proof is virtually unobtainable so the ARC is the earliest state that most collectors (including me) can hope to obtain.
    Could we see a picture of this book Bob? The fact it's white throws me off, I would be interested in seeing it, so if I ever had an inkling to buy one I would know what to look for.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob said it was scarce, and has never seen a picture of one, and does not himself have one.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Bob said it was scarce, and has never seen a picture of one, and does not himself have one.
    No I'm talking about the White ARC, which he said he has. Not the proof.
    Geoff

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Geoff-

Here is the front cover of the Carrie ARC.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 262 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast