Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 262 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Bag of Bones large format "Second Draft" white cover with black tape spine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Rare-Steph...QQcmdZViewItem

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Listing on page 1 updated to show UK On Writing proof.

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Listing on page 1 updated to show UK On Writing proof.

John
    FYI John. It's the UK H&S hardback with the rejected jacket.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. Correction noted on page 1 listing.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've deleted the UK On Writing proof reference from the listing. It appears that what was described is just a proof dust jacket, not a full proof.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I've deleted the UK On Writing proof reference from the listing. It appears that what was described is just a proof dust jacket, not a full proof.

John
    I agree John. I would classify it the same way as a 1st Edition Ist Printing 1st State much like Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers etc which had 1st/1st but different DJs.

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

John
    I agree John. I would classify it the same way as a 1st Edition Ist Printing 1st State much like Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers etc which had 1st/1st but different DJs.
    Certainly the same category ... but much more rare that either the Pet Semetary or the Tommyknockers

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe like that of the UK Lisey's Story. The one on the left is the trade cover. The one on the right is the unused cover. It's really scarce too.

John
    Attached Images

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Another example is the UK edition of FROM A BUICK 8. Here is a photo of the UK proof, a copy in a proof (trial?) dj, and (far right) the regular trade edition.

I really liked the proof cover and hated the dj on the trade edition. Why they didn't use the design on the proof dj I will never know. According to the guy I bought this from there were only a couple of copies. I don't know if that is right but I don't recall ever seeing another for sale.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. The dust jackets for From a Buick 8 and Everything's Eventual have to be the worst ever.

John

Country
    Country Flag

The Buick proof cover is a huge improvement on the horrible trade release. I like the proof cover.

Not so keen on the Lisey's Story one though.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Another example is the UK edition of FROM A BUICK 8. Here is a photo of the UK proof, a copy in a proof (trial?) dj, and (far right) the regular trade edition.

I really liked the proof cover and hated the dj on the trade edition. Why they didn't use the design on the proof dj I will never know. According to the guy I bought this from there were only a couple of copies. I don't know if that is right but I don't recall ever seeing another for sale.

That's the first time I've ever seen one of those dust jackets Bob, very nice!
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Maclay & Associates was a small publisher in Baltimore that published only about 9 books between 1984 and 1995. Their "claim to fame" seems to be the MASQUES series of anthologies that ran (I believe) four volumes. The most noteworthy (to King collectors) is MASQUES II, which featured the first publication of Stephen King's story "Popsy." There were two editions. One bound in gold foil, featuring a bookplate signed by editor J. N. Williamson, limited to 300 copies. Another bound in silver foil, unlimited (or unstated) copies.

I recently acquired a proof of MASQUES II. It consists of proof (photocopied) pages bound in a generic style folder with a sticker on the front with the necessary info.

Laid in is a letter to the Fiction Editor of PUBLISHERS WEEKLY signed by John Maclay. A copy of her (very short) review is also laid in.

Title page.

I have no idea how many of these were done. I am really pretty excited to now have it in my collection. As far as I know it is the earliest state of "Popsy" that would be available to the average collector.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

WOW!!!

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Maclay & Associates was a small publisher in Baltimore that published only about 9 books between 1984 and 1995. Their "claim to fame" seems to be the MASQUES series of anthologies that ran (I believe) four volumes. The most noteworthy (to King collectors) is MASQUES II, which featured the first publication of Stephen King's story "Popsy." There were two editions. One bound in gold foil, featuring a bookplate signed by editor J. N. Williamson, limited to 300 copies. Another bound in silver foil, unlimited (or unstated) copies.

I recently acquired a proof of MASQUES II. It consists of proof (photocopied) pages bound in a generic style folder with a sticker on the front with the necessary info.

Laid in is a letter to the Fiction Editor of PUBLISHERS WEEKLY signed by John Maclay. A copy of her (very short) review is also laid in.

Title page.

I have no idea how many of these were done. I am really pretty excited to now have it in my collection. As far as I know it is the earliest state of "Popsy" that would be available to the average collector.
    so the first publication of Popsy was in Masques 2?
    The first publication was a comic version???
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

so the first publication of Popsy was in Masques 2?
    The first publication was a comic version???
    No, it was regular text.

The comic version came later.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Double WOW!. That is really neat. Congrats, Bob.

I was not aware that there were 2 versions of Masque 2. I learn something everyday. Thanks for posting it.
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

Stephen King's story "Crouch End" was first published in 1980 in an anthology titled NEW TALES OF THE CTHULHU MYTHOS, edited by Ramsey Campbell and published by Arkham House. According to knowledgeable booksellers, only 3647 copies were published in the first printing. There were at least two subsequent printings. As anthologies go this one is a little more expensive than others, due to the low printing numbers I guess. If you plan to buy one make sure you are getting the first printing.

Until now I had never seen an Arkham House proof. I got this from Lloyd Currey. It is inscribed "For David (Hartwell) - the rare format! all the best - Ramsey (Campbell)."

Plain white wrappers with black comb binding. Label adhered to front cover. It came with a dj from the regular trade edition. Lloyd said he had only handled a few Arkham House proofs over the years.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, Again, WOW!!!

I used to collect Arkham House books (I had all but a very few) but I've never seen an Arkham House proof.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow. Congrats on your new proofs, Bob.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

NICE STUFF!!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Real nice stuff!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

really really cute!
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob-
    Tremendous acquisitions! Thanks for sharing. As Juliana said, I too learn something new nearly every day.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen an Arkham House proof.
    Neither have I. I've seen one Arkham House manuscript, but never a bound proof.

Very nice, Bob!
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 262 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast