Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 262 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 6527

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I think he's asking if there are any books that don't have proofs (or at least ones that we know about).

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but is he talking about novels, anthologies, others?

I think that all books have some sort of prepublication state even if they are only for in-house proofreading. I am a big Peter Straub fan and collector and would really like a proof of Straub's first novel MARRIAGES. Peter says he doesn't think any were done but I think that a big publishing house like Coward , McCann & Geoghegan likely did proofs for all their books. Just because I can't find one doesn't mean they were never done.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry. I meant about King books only.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Sorry. I meant about King books only.
    Well, Ari, I guess I am just exceedingly dense because I still don't know what you are asking. King novels, anthologies with King fiction, books with King introductions? Is there a specific book that you are interested in finding out about?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No, it's okay. I'm not explaining my question properly.

What I meant is that if there's any particular official King book (not anthologies that have one story from him, or books that has an introduction) for which we don't have records that a proof or an ARC was produced (not manuscript).
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that Ari is just asking about books authored by King.

The only ones that I know of that have "missing" proofs in the US are the Grant editions of The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three and the NAL editions of the first four Bachman books. I don't think proofs were issued for the HC Cycle of the Werewolf or My Pretty Pony. There seem to be quite a few of the UK editions that have not had proofs issued that we know of.

John

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

John, this one that David's had listed forever (and which you should ask for a picture of for the site, if you haven't already done so!), is this a softcover proof? I never asked him.

[I]Cycle of the Werewolf bound "Designated proof copy" - Fine 1 of only 5 made (#4), signed by King and Wrightson (was $5000)[/II
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    John, this one that David's had listed forever (and which you should ask for a picture of for the site, if you haven't already done so!), is this a softcover proof? I never asked him.

[I]Cycle of the Werewolf bound "Designated proof copy" - Fine 1 of only 5 made (#4), signed by King and Wrightson (was $5000)[/II
    That one is listed wrongly. It is not a proof. I brought it to David's attention when it was first listed a long time ago but the consignor wanted to keep it listed that way. It is one of five unbound copies that were to have been "specially bound" but Zavisa never got around to it. I've got one of the five copies and might have already posted pictures somewhere (probably on the old site). I can post them again (I think) if you are interested.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post

That one is listed wrongly. It is not a proof. I brought it to David's attention when it was first listed a long time ago but the consignor wanted to keep it listed that way. It is one of five unbound copies that were to have been "specially bound" but Zavisa never got around to it. I've got one of the five copies and might have already posted pictures somewhere (probably on the old site). I can post them again (I think) if you are interested.
    Absolutely interested. Please.

Wrong thread as this isn't a proof but for continuity sake. The guy I bought this from said that Bud Plant had had it in his warehouse for years. He bought it and had a custom traycase made for it which is really very nice. Leather spine and reproductions of some of Wrightson's interior artwork on the outside.

The "book" itself is just unbound, uncut and untrimmed pages (text block). Still uncut so that you can't open the pages all the way because they are attached at the top edge. Zavisa must have had plans to put five in a special binding and it would be neat to know what he had in mind.

Anyway, I'm nearly 100% certain that this is what the listing at Betts is mistakenly calling a proof

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like it is signed by King and Wrightson.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Looks like it is signed by King and Wrightson.
    Oh, yes, it is signed. You just can't open it all the way because the pages are attached at top. Similar to these other editions of the Land of Enchantment CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF.

Back on topic.....here is what I know about the proof of the Land of Enchantment edition of CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF. First here are some photos of a copy of King's manuscript for the book.

Lloyd Currey once offered me a proof copy of CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF and he let me have it on approval. When I got it I found that it was really nothing more than a copy of the manuscript (like I already had) that had the word "proof" written at the top of the first page. And it was missing an entire month of text (I forget which month was missing). The only thing different was that it also had copies of very rough preliminary drawings by Wrightson of the color paintings that were in the final books. Lloyd was asking a lot for the proof ($4K or $5K, I think). Since I already had something similar I sent it back and Chris Cavalier later bought it. It was sold through Betts when the "super collection" was first offered and I don't know who has it now. So, to my knowledge, there is only one copy of what was called a proof of this title.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also have two separate versions of The Cycle of the Werewolf manuscripts. One is typewritten with corrections and the other has the corrections done.

I got these off eBay. I'm sure they are just photocopies, but they're interesting anyway.

John

<edit>By the way, both are complete, with all 12 months.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad I mentioned David's sale, wasn't expecting to hear or see anything like this ... really interesting stuff!

On a side note, somebody has messed with the title of this thread, it's not SK Proofs anymore ... methinks we have a jokester amongst us, though I am confused by the PC mention as nothing at all was said about a PC copy.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Unless it has already been corrected, the thread is titled SK Proofs...

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    There seem to be quite a few of the UK editions that have not had proofs issued that we know of.
    Danse Macabre and Pet Sematary. I don't have UK proofs of either of those and don't recall ever hearing of anyone that does. Any others?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    There seem to be quite a few of the UK editions that have not had proofs issued that we know of.
    Danse Macabre and Pet Sematary. I don't have UK proofs of either of those and don't recall ever hearing of anyone that does. Any others?
    Dark Tower volumes 2, 3 and 4 come to mind (there was only a Sphere Gunslinger proof, right?). And does anyone actually own proof copies of Green Mile #1, 3, 4, 5 and 6? I think I saw them on a promotional pic once, but I'm not sure if they were six different volumes or maybe six copies of #2.

Other than that I think we've seen UK proofs of most King titles. It's just that there seems to be a larger variety of known manuscript/proof/ARC states for each US trade edition.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember some sort of possible Green Mile possible proofs on eBay a number of years ago. I lost the auction, though. Here's a picture of what was offered:

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This could be the pic I was referring to (in which case I 'misremembered' things somewhat). Or was there also a photo of that shiny Green Mile promo folder with publisher's letter that Bob has in his collection, but with more proofs on the photo than just the one for #2?

Country
    Country Flag

I remember some sort of possible Green Mile possible proofs on eBay a number of years ago. I lost the auction, though. Here's a picture of what was offered:

John
    By the way, these look stapled rather than bound (like the Doctor's Case proof but a little better-looking). It would be really cool to know what exactly they were/are.

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

Bob (or anyone), I may need to revised my Cycle of the Werewolf entry. Here is what I have:

1. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. “Collector’s edition” of 100 copies (numbered from 1-100), with dust jacket and slipcase, and with a piece of original artwork by Berni Wrightson laid-in. Signed by King and artist Berni Wrightson.
    1a. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. “Deluxe edition” of 250 copies (numbered from 101-350), with dust jacket and slipcase, and with a portfolio of Berni Wrightson’s artwork. Signed by King and artist Berni Wrightson.
    1b. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. Presentation state of eight numbered copies, with hand written limitation notice, signed by King and Wrightson. These were designated “Artist’s Copies.”
    1c. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. “Designated proof copy” state of five numbered copies, signed by King and Wrightson.
    1d. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-2-8. Limited trade edition of 7,500 copies.

Bob's second pic (Artist's Copies) is 1b. 1c. is the unbound proof. I'm wondering if his first pic (Publisher's Copy - 8 copies) is a new state I am not listing. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by you ever seen a ghost? View Post
    Bob (or anyone), I may need to revised my Cycle of the Werewolf entry. Here is what I have:

1. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. “Collector’s edition” of 100 copies (numbered from 1-100), with dust jacket and slipcase, and with a piece of original artwork by Berni Wrightson laid-in. Signed by King and artist Berni Wrightson.
    1a. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. “Deluxe edition” of 250 copies (numbered from 101-350), with dust jacket and slipcase, and with a portfolio of Berni Wrightson’s artwork. Signed by King and artist Berni Wrightson.
    1b. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. Presentation state of eight numbered copies, with hand written limitation notice, signed by King and Wrightson. These were designated “Artist’s Copies.”
    1c. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-1-X. “Designated proof copy” state of five numbered copies, signed by King and Wrightson.
    1d. Westland, MI: The Land of Enchantment, Christopher Zavisa, 1983, 114 pp., hardcover. ISBN: 0-9603828-2-8. Limited trade edition of 7,500 copies.

Bob's second pic (Artist's Copies) is 1b. 1c. is the unbound proof. I'm wondering if his first pic (Publisher's Copy - 8 copies) is a new state I am not listing. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

-Justin
    I believe that is correct. You do not currently have a listing for the Publishers Copy state.

But I am not convinced that my unbound state ("Custom Bound Edition I of V") is the same as your 1c. listing. Do you recall where you got that info or have you ever seen a "Designated proof copy"?

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

I forget if I got it from George Beahm's collector's guide, this site or maybe Levin or Betts.

-justin

Citizen of Gilead olverts will become famous soon enough olverts will become famous soon enough olverts's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Needful Things US proof + Proof DJ

The American Fantasy Tradition ( King´s Children of the Corn and Mrs. Todd's Shortcut )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 262 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast