Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 208 of 262 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 218 258 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 6527

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool stuff Gerald. I always say the best part of collecting is the story that goes along with the items. My absolute FAVORITE collectibles are the ones that have a story... they are nearest and dearest to my heart. Good show brother. kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even though I am not a proof/ARC collector I seem to keep adding them to my collection. Today I have one from NAL and one from Doubleday to add. Prime Evil is inscribed by Douglas E. Winter and Poe’s Children came with a nice compliments of card.

Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I've not seen that card before.

John

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John.
    The card was a nice surprise. The seller did not know it was in the book and I only found as I flipped through the pages.
    — Roland Deschain

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations on the proofs. Something unique with both. That's a nice inscription and signature and also the card isn't something I've seen before. I need to flip through my copy to see if it has one.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, love the inscription!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Congratulations on the proofs. Something unique with both. That's a nice inscription and signature and also the card isn't something I've seen before. I need to flip through my copy to see if it has one.
    Thanks zelig- I have gotten into the habit of flipping through the books I receive, you never know what you might find.

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Congratulations, love the inscription!
    Thanks goheat- Yes the inscription is a good one. The best part is both were under $25 each, shipped. Poe’s Children also came with the 1st/1st hardback and a Peter Straub signed book plate.
    — Roland Deschain

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That was a GREAT deal!

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Promo piece, not the true full advance copy. $99.95 BIN, OBO:
    PROMO ITEM Stephen King POP-UP The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon ARC 2004 RARE HTF

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Promo piece, not the true full advance copy. $99.95 BIN, OBO:
    PROMO ITEM Stephen King POP-UP The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon ARC 2004 RARE HTF
    If anyone needs one of these, please don't pay his price. I have an extra for $35

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Green mile coffeys hands proof - $290

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321954084382

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got this one in today.....Publisher Letter included!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dude!!

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Very nice AKC!
    ~Jonathan

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy! Nice!!!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great proof!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another nice DT Proof reviewed today....

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

John

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Open the window, and let your anger fly away
    by Gerald Winters

Happy New Year Constant Readers. A couple of months ago I learned something that had puzzled me for over 15 years and unfortunately it’s not a happy story for all parties involved. I am going to share it with the hope that if anyone else is suffering internally, try your very best to talk with others. It’s the cheapest form of medicine there is.

In December 1999, just before I rang in the Millennium in New York, I was in London visiting family and friends and buying a few books along the way. The great thing about book buying at that time, was that all the rare bookstores in Mayfair and Charing Cross would put out a lovely catalogue every few months with the most beautiful books you could imagine. These catalogues were often works of art in and of themselves. The Internet was around sure, but this was how rare books were advertised to bibliophiles. Once you received them in the mail, the shop would be very busy answering phones and opening letters with checks. However, if you happened to walk in off the street before the mailing, you could still buy the books on the day. On this particular trip, I visited one of my favorite stores and sure enough he had a beautiful Tolkien book, “Farmer Giles of Ham”, signed before publication to a close family member. I purchased it without a second thought. When I received the catalogue a few weeks later, the book was listed for sale. I never gave it much more consideration.

After buying a few King books at another store, the owner gave me the name of one of his customers that also collected King and told me to give him a call sometime as he sold him some lovely books in the past and maybe he is open to selling or trade. When I got back to New York, I sent off a letter to the gentleman, introduced myself, told him who supplied his name and asked him about his collection. I also told him of my interests. I never just ask “do you have anything for sale?” as that is rude, and I never reply to unsolicited emails when I receive them as well. I received a very succinct response that was less than cordial. I was told in no uncertain terms that I should not contact him again, Americans are classless individuals, and I would never be getting one of his books.

I was shocked to say the least. I thought maybe he had a rough holiday and 2000 did not start off right for him. I didn’t press any further. The following January, I came across his details again, and I thought that with twelve months passing, perhaps I could introduce myself again. That response was even shorter. Over his dead body would be the only way I would ever see one of his books. At no stage did I ever mention buying or selling a book. I was only trying to introduce myself.

I tore up the name card, lit a candle for him at church, and said a prayer that whatever troubles him, may it pass peacefully. Fast forward to October 2015. I receive a letter from a lady in England that had been mailed to my previous London address. Fortunately I keep all my virtual addresses active around the world, so that if anyone ever writes to me, it will be forwarded to wherever I currently reside. Occasionally I will receive the odd letter from those that still adhere to the pen and paper, which is still my favorite. I did not recognize the name, but as I read further I remembered who the subject matter was. The lady, Diana, was the daughter of a retired book critic who loved books very much, but loved people less (her words). After her father passed away in June 2015, she undertook the difficult task of going through his library and attempt to understand his obsession with books. She came across a black book (always the case) that had a very organized system of people that had wronged him over the years. My two letters were stapled together, along with a letter from a Cecil Court bookseller, explaining to him that the catalogue item “Farmer Giles of Ham” had been sold to an American, he believed, by the name of Gerald Winters (my credit card slip). He apologized for the inconvenience and assured him he would keep his eyes open if another ever appeared. Sadly, it was not in his library when he passed.

Written on my letters in bold print was the sentence “NEVER SELL TO THIS BASTARD”. I was speechless when Diana told me this. I couldn’t formulate a sentence as to what is an appropriate response. After we spoke a few more times, she came back to me with a list of several King and Tolkien items that he had in his collection, and I agreed to purchase them all. I didn’t ask for photographs as I knew that he would have kept them in great shape, as he did. I gave her my FedEx number and she mailed them all to me. Upon inspecting them, I discovered one item was not what I had originally thought. She told me he had a Macdonald Proof of “Firestarter” and I assumed it was the standard black copy that I already had. When I saw it, I realized I had never seen this state before, and that must have been what the book seller was talking about originally – a rare King proof.

Part of me considered just keeping it and convince myself I deserve it for all the grief this man had caused me, and that thought vacated my head in less than a second. I thought about “The Ninth Gate”, and Johnny Depp taking advantage of a book collector’s family who didn’t know the value of what they had. Sure, the man was definitely not the nicest of people, but I was not privy to know of the demons that were in his head. What I did know, was his daughter is the salt of the Earth and I don’t take advantage of people. I called her back and told her that one of the proofs was actually rarer than what I thought it was and it was worth more than I had paid. I asked her if she would like more money, or if she wanted me to return it so that she could source another avenue to sell it for possibly a greater return, but she had no interest in extra money. She just said that she only wished her father had treated people with a fraction of the respect that I showed her. He lived his life suffering every day, and if my Tolkien book had the ability of bringing him some form of happiness, I would have given it to him for the asking. I just never knew how easy it is for some people to hold hatred for so long, unbeknownst to the recipient.

That was my 16 year journey to find a nice King proof. Sadly, it was over someone’s dead body. I hope I didn’t bore anybody with my story.

Happy New Year and keep smiling.
    Gerald

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Great story, Gerald. A good lesson for all of us on this New Year's Day.

Just when I think you can't possibly keep coming up with items like this you turn up with another one. Thanks for sharing it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 208 of 262 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 218 258 ... LastLast