Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Office - Dunder Mifflin Infinity

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, Anglea Kinsey (actress who plays Angela) was pregnant during the last season. Of course she's had her baby by then. If they were going to have her pregnant on the show (with Dwight's baby! )) I think they might have done it already. Of course, you never know.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The idea of her being pregnant actually did cross my mind when they weren't losing weight, but I didn't think of it when she said she was supposed to gain weight. I just figured that had to do with her being such a small person.

Great episode, anyway!
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

who's your daddy? You don't know who your daddy is.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thought i'd give this thread a mega-BUMP and bring it back from the dead. I do this because I've just heard something pretty big, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

Apparently, Ricky Gervais has confirmed that he is seriously considering playing David Brent once again, but this time, in the US Office. Now, I must admit that Brent vs Scott does have some sort of perverse appeal in seeing who would make us cringe the most, and I do like the US Office, but...

The original is a very, very different show compared to what the US version is now. It knew exactly what is was, and always aimed for total realism by pretending to be just another british docusoap, which were all the rage back in the late 90s and early 00s. It was so realistic that by the end, the characters knew their programme had been watched by thousands of viewers, and while some were embarrased by that, Brent tried to exploit that as much as possible, embarrasing himself further in the process. From beginning to end, it was a true mockumentary, as great as This Is Spinal Tap.

The US version, on the other hand...I like it, I found the first 3 seasons funny, but it's a lot more of a sitcom by this point, with the characters talking in front of the camera from time to time. Both shows are great in their own right, but I have just a little bit more respect for the original for it's realism. Now, I find it hard to watch the US version without thinking, "So, after all these years, is this still supposed to be a documentary that no one watches? Surely the characters should be recognised in public by now!"

I will watch the David Brent ep if it does happen (one way or another: i don't expect it to be on tv the day after the US, since we still haven't got season 4 over here yet!), but only if it's written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. That's it, no one else. If someone else writes it, I just won't bother. Which sounds rather stubborn, but Merchant and Gervais have written everything Brent's been in so far, I don't see why they should stop now!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

As a big, big fan of the UK original, I'm not sure how thrilled I am about this. How can they not "tone down" David Brent for the US audiences?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Ricky is great! I would love to see him in the US version, but you guys are correct, they would have to tone down his character and thus, he would lose what I love so much about the character.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

"His cappa was detated!!!"

one of my favorite phrases ever
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Ricky is great!
    Aww..thanks!

Anyone a tad disappointed by this season of the U.S. version?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

yes... kinda lame right now

Country
    Country Flag

Me too. I think it lost the comedy of it that was in seasons 2 and 3. Just mindless jokes, pranks and situations.

I miss it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

You can suck it with your SUCK IT!

(i just realized that won't make sense unless you saw the ending of last week's episode)

Country
    Country Flag

"So, the child makes the noise?"

Suck it and you suck it with your SUCK IT!!!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Me too. I think it lost the comedy of it that was in seasons 2 and 3. Just mindless jokes, pranks and situations.

I miss it.
    I still think it's funny, not as funny, but the buy out and the fact that the scranton branch was the only branch making money made me laugh. And David being a bumb now was funny. However, I think this is the reason why the UK version is much appreciated because they ended before they had to start thinking of more and more ridiculous plots.

Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm....I didn't know that the UK version already ended.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Amused

OH...heh...I thought it did. My buddy hasn't gave me any more episodes in awhile. Uh...what season is the UK version on?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, they haven't made any UK eps since 2003. They only made 2 series and a 2 part xmas special. That's a total of 14 episodes. Short, I know, but as Mordred pointed out, it ended before it got too ridiculous. Apparently, the BBC really wanted more eps, but writers Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant just said, "Nah, why ruin a good thing? Story's finished, just move on."

Although the US version did pretty well with its first 3 seasons, but from what I've heard, it started losing its subtlety and realism in season 4. Tbh, i'm not interested in watching more eps after season 3. It had the perfect ending with the Jim and Pam story being resolved. Is it anywhere near as interesting afterwards?

- Melike

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Oh, they haven't made any UK eps since 2003. They only made 2 series and a 2 part xmas special. That's a total of 14 episodes. Short, I know, but as Mordred pointed out, it ended before it got too ridiculous. Apparently, the BBC really wanted more eps, but writers Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant just said, "Nah, why ruin a good thing? Story's finished, just move on."

Although the US version did pretty well with its first 3 seasons, but from what I've heard, it started losing its subtlety and realism in season 4. Tbh, i'm not interested in watching more eps after season 3. It had the perfect ending with the Jim and Pam story being resolved. Is it anywhere near as interesting afterwards?
    Okay, that's what I thought. I have all those episodes, and my buddy never said there were more so I was pretty sure it had ended already. But yes, being a watcher of both, I would say that the US version was really funny, it started loosing my attention during the last season. But, I'll probably keep watching it until it is no longer on the air or until they move it to an off night. I gota get my Pam fix.

My Mood
    Amused

aaaaww...Pam and Jim are having a
    Spoiler:
    girl

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched exactly one episode of the original version of The Office and wasn't that impressed. Loved the American adaptation until this season, which is when I think the series completely went off the rails.

On the one hand, I can appreciate the the plot-line of the company going under in the midst of a global recession dovetailing with the actual show going under-it's very meta-on the other hand, it's kind of painful to watch the thread unraveling over the course of an entire season.

The Office (U.S.) was a great series. Even so, I don't think it was as good as The Newsroom-you people in Canada know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Watched exactly one episode of the original version of The Office and wasn't that impressed. Loved the American adaptation until this season, which is when I think the series completely went off the rails.

On the one hand, I can appreciate the the plot-line of the company going under in the midst of a global recession dovetailing with the actual show going under-it's very meta-on the other hand, it's kind of painful to watch the thread unraveling over the course of an entire season.

The Office (U.S.) was a great series. Even so, I don't think it was as good as The Newsroom-you people in Canada know what I'm talkin' 'bout.
    My advise?

Watch another ep. Best one's episode 4 of series one, but only just. There's other classic episodes, in fact pretty much all of them have hysterical moments in. It's not the funniest tv show ever made (that of course goes to Spaced), but I prefer it to the US just because it gets the mockumentary aspect of the show. Is there any reason why in the US version the camera only exists in some funny moments and never in the dramatic ones?

I like what I've seen of the US version, but it's definitely not the funniest programme in the US atm. That goes to 30 Rock, of course!

- Melike

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I still love the Office. I feel like it gets better. This season has been particularly funny.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

John F. Kennedy Flavio is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    Dwight rules peaple...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Spoiler:
    Gareth pwns Dwight.

Gareth: I'm not homophobic, really I'm not! Look at my CD collection! George Michael, Pet Shop Boys...they're all bummers!

Gareth: You know the expression, "softly, softly, catch a monkey"? I could catch a monkey. Or a frog.

David Brent: [singing]...going home, 'cause my baby's gone!
    Gareth: She's deaaaaaaaaad!
    David: She's not dead!

- Melike

John F. Kennedy Flavio is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I still think Dwight rules

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, I like Gareth Keenan. But then, I also like Dwight Schrute. But which is better?

There's only one way to find out:

Spoiler:
    FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast