Thought i'd give this thread a mega-BUMP and bring it back from the dead. I do this because I've just heard something pretty big, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

Apparently, Ricky Gervais has confirmed that he is seriously considering playing David Brent once again, but this time, in the US Office. Now, I must admit that Brent vs Scott does have some sort of perverse appeal in seeing who would make us cringe the most, and I do like the US Office, but...

The original is a very, very different show compared to what the US version is now. It knew exactly what is was, and always aimed for total realism by pretending to be just another british docusoap, which were all the rage back in the late 90s and early 00s. It was so realistic that by the end, the characters knew their programme had been watched by thousands of viewers, and while some were embarrased by that, Brent tried to exploit that as much as possible, embarrasing himself further in the process. From beginning to end, it was a true mockumentary, as great as This Is Spinal Tap.

The US version, on the other hand...I like it, I found the first 3 seasons funny, but it's a lot more of a sitcom by this point, with the characters talking in front of the camera from time to time. Both shows are great in their own right, but I have just a little bit more respect for the original for it's realism. Now, I find it hard to watch the US version without thinking, "So, after all these years, is this still supposed to be a documentary that no one watches? Surely the characters should be recognised in public by now!"

I will watch the David Brent ep if it does happen (one way or another: i don't expect it to be on tv the day after the US, since we still haven't got season 4 over here yet!), but only if it's written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. That's it, no one else. If someone else writes it, I just won't bother. Which sounds rather stubborn, but Merchant and Gervais have written everything Brent's been in so far, I don't see why they should stop now!