Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: In Through The Out Door and back again

Gunslinger Apprentice leaveittobeezer is on a distinguished road leaveittobeezer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

is it the pecan? Hogg proclaimed the pecan as Texas's state tree. Pecan pie is huge in the south. Not sure how the pecan is the killer of 2 mortal enemies of mankind or how it is connected with any sort of cartel, but this is the best I can come up with at this time.
    "The Man in Black fled across the desert, and June Carter followed"

Gunslinger Apprentice VastOne is on a distinguished road VastOne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by leaveittobeezer View Post
    is it the pecan? Hogg proclaimed the pecan as Texas's state tree. Pecan pie is huge in the south. Not sure how the pecan is the killer of 2 mortal enemies of mankind or how it is connected with any sort of cartel, but this is the best I can come up with at this time.

Well done Beez...You are a true master at these...

I got this idea for the riddle because a strong wind knocked down a single branch on a massive pecan tree in my yard and as that branch fell from the top, 8 more joined it causing me a hell of a mess.

Here is the explanations: Straight from the Wiki page on Pecans.

In Through The Out Door and back again

Although wild, I was well known among the colonial Americans

Although wild pecans were well-known among the colonial Americans as a delicacy

Though known quite well by First-Nations people of Canada, I am not northern in nature

"Pecan" is from an Algonquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack = the particular Algonquian language spoken by certain First-Nations people of Canada

It is known that I am a killer of two mortal enemies of mankind

Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition (September 2001) found that eating about a handful of pecans each day may help lower cholesterol levels similar to what is often seen with cholesterol-lowering medications. Research conducted at the University of Georgia has also confirmed that pecans contain plant sterols, which are known for their cholesterol-lowering ability.

I have been known and sat in other cartel's

Texas Pecan Growers Association = Union ...Union definition includes Cartel.. had to have a little bit of a stretch/curve.....

A certain Boss had me immortalized in one of the largest land mass area's known.

In 1906, Texas Governor James Stephen Hogg made the Pecan tree the state tree of Texas. The story goes that Hogg had a Pecan tree planted at his grave instead of a traditional headstone, requesting that the nuts be distributed throughout the state to make Texas a "Land of Trees"

Too much and you will pay a heavy toll at a certain alter.

That alter being the toilet....Pecans are known to run right through people if you eat too much

What am I?

Pecan

'but not for you Gunslinger, never for you. you darkle. you tinct. may I be brutally frank? You Go on.'

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by VastOne View Post

Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition (September 2001) found that eating about a handful of pecans each day may help lower cholesterol levels similar to what is often seen with cholesterol-lowering medications. Research conducted at the University of Georgia has also confirmed that pecans contain plant sterols, which are known for their cholesterol-lowering ability.

This seems to be the same SINGLE killer. Cholesterol
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

This seems to be the same SINGLE killer. Cholesterol
    As I said this entire knowledge can be found on the wiki page, but here it is

"This nut is an important source of ellagic acid. Pecan nuts are a good low fat source of vitamin E and also have anti-cancer effects.

'but not for you Gunslinger, never for you. you darkle. you tinct. may I be brutally frank? You Go on.'

Gunslinger Apprentice NemelChelovek is on a distinguished road NemelChelovek's Avatar

The "other cartels" one still doesn't make sense to me. The answer and the clue don't really seem that related, and the clue on its own definitely doesn't indicate the Texas Pecan Growers' Association over any other possible "cartel." I guess basically what I'm saying is, how was the aspiring riddle-solver to get "Texas Pecan Growers' Association" from "I have been known and sat in other cartels?"

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NemelChelovek View Post
    The "other cartels" one still doesn't make sense to me. The answer and the clue don't really seem that related, and the clue on its own definitely doesn't indicate the Texas Pecan Growers' Association over any other possible "cartel." I guess basically what I'm saying is, how was the aspiring riddle-solver to get "Texas Pecan Growers' Association" from "I have been known and sat in other cartels?"
    Texas Pecan Growers Association = Union ...Union definition includes Cartel.. had to have a little bit of a stretch/curve.....

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

good riddle

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice NemelChelovek is on a distinguished road NemelChelovek's Avatar

I read that, VastOne, but I don't understand how I would possibly be able to get "Pecan Growers Association" from "cartel." The clue doesn't have anything about it that specifically indicates this particular cartel; it just indicates an association of some kind, somewhere. The wording makes it seem like I'm looking for a particular member of this cartel, rather than what the cartel represents. The other clues were fine, but I think this one was actually kind of a distraction from the answer itself.

Country
    Country Flag

I read that, VastOne, but I don't understand how I would possibly be able to get "Pecan Growers Association" from "cartel." The clue doesn't have anything about it that specifically indicates this particular cartel; it just indicates an association of some kind, somewhere. The wording makes it seem like I'm looking for a particular member of this cartel, rather than what the cartel represents. The other clues were fine, but I think this one was actually kind of a distraction from the answer itself.
    My first one and what can I say? You got the answer anyway and I will try to get better.

As I tried to say, Union definition includes cartel, so I threw that curve in there as a stretch.

I'll try to take some riddle lessons before I try again

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

My first one and what can I say? You got the answer anyway and I will try to get better.

As I tried to say, Union definition includes cartel, so I threw that curve in there as a stretch.

I'll try to take some riddle lessons before I try again

Don't sweat it man or woman. It was a fine riddle. I understand both questions now. I understand how a union can be a cartel. It is called an "artistic licence." We all have one if we have even viewed a post in riddles...and we all use it often in writing a riddle.

And yes my Russian friend, when I saw the word "cartel," "union" was one of three things that came to mind. (I reckon I should have posted that...sorry.)
    Nemel is just having a bad day...aren't you sweetie??!!

I'm having a fine day :p I merely perceived a potential stumbling block in the riddle and was trying to help him/her/it/them in the case of future riddling endeavors.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah...we all need help sometimes. Text is a shitty way to convey emotion (or lack thereof.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3